Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Pattern Universe Vs Pattern Forum

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Keep Pattern Universe as it is.
7.69%
Keep Pattern Universe, but Fix the problem.
27.69%
Remove the Changes and go back to the previous Pattern Forum Format
64.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Pattern Universe Vs Pattern Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:15 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern Universe Vs Pattern Forum

Since RCAdmin Posted that the reason for the change was because there were alot of requests for it...

So lets see where the rubber meets the road...

Vote what you want....

Larry Diamond

Old 04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Balsawings

Default RE: Pattern Universe Vs Pattern Forum

There seems to be something fishy about the whole thing. I voted to remove the changes and go back to the way it was.

Bob C.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:06 PM
KLXMASTER14

Just fix the problems, and learn to accept the new and better format. That is- unless there are some that think that one form of pattern is "above" the others.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Well, I have to say I saw this coming with how the posts were being lead in the other thread today.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9619283/tm.htm

It’s just a glitch, Right? It will be fixed eventually, don’t you think? Boy no patience!

We did have a discussion over in the Classic forum about this,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9516200/tm.htm
But no poll because of the way the forum was set up.

I don’t think this would have been such a big deal if it wasn’t for a computer glitch, which I assume will be fixed.

Now, I have to say I respect the Guys that fly today’s pattern, and it’s not about that. But I believe that Classic Pattern Deserves equal recognition and respect for what it is and what it is becoming again.

I’m trying to put my words in a non confrontational manner ,because arguing just doesn’t do any good.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Well, I have to say I saw this coming with how the posts were being lead in the other thread today.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9619283/tm.htm

It’s just a glitch, Right? It will be fixed eventually, don’t you think? Boy no patience!

We did have a discussion over in the Classic forum about this,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9516200/tm.htm
But no poll because of the way the forum was set up.

I don’t think this would have been such a big deal if it wasn’t for a computer glitch, which I assume will be fixed.

Now, I have to say I respect the Guys that fly today’s pattern, and it’s not about that. But I believe that Classic Pattern Deserves equal recognition and respect for what it is and what it is becoming again.

I’m trying to put my words in a non confrontational manner ,because arguing just doesn’t do any good.

Interesting reading...But before I start I'm neither for or against the Pattern Universe Change...I did vote to take it back to the previous setting as I'm not somebody that like being force feed because yahoos got together and thought it was a good idea and ignored 2/3rds of the Pattern Community... which would be pattern and electric pattern...

So let’s get this straight...I'm a bit stumped with someone apparently posting a recommended change under Classic Pattern, of which I rarely visit. Then all the sudden, we have a majority vote that thinks they are being slighted and unappreciated because it’s not perceived as important or worthy of equal recognition...This is an extremely petty argument...

Change is good. I would have probably been ok with it if asked... How would those that partook in this action like for me to post in the AMA Discussion Forum with those Yahoos and sway a decision to put classic pattern in a Forum called "Antiques of RC"...Stupid and certainly uncalled for right? I would say yes...

Then why did we do it here and then RCadmin state it was the popular choice...? It's a good thing the US Congressdon't base laws on one State's vote...

This was a RAM JOB, and personally I don't appreciate it being forced on us because of a minority opinion (Majority if you only consider opinions of Classic Pattern posters representing 1/3 of the pattern community)...Secondly, I probably wouldn't be complaining if it didn't get screwed up and was posted in all Pattern Forums regarding the upcoming changes...Which is why I believe there is a push back from some including myself.

This was a cluster from the get go...The icing on the cake is that it screwed a bunch of folks up that enjoyed the forum, and then so said by RCadmin, “it’s because you didn't go back and setup your Forum Subscriptions properly...” Which is incorrect...
It don't work...So put it back the way it was, run the tests needed before taking it live; and finally, notify all those members of the change by posting the new format in all forum/sub forums affected...

My .02...Off the soap box...

LLD

Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
DRC1

Hit the wrong button...tried to edit previous post...
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any of you remember the uproar when RCU changed formats from a straight forum format? I e-mailed RCAdmin privately with what I found when doing some testing to see if I could find a way for the changes he suggested to take effect. There is a bug in the programming....no biggie....the developer will get it fixed. I do IT work for a living....every day....this is not as big of a deal as anyone is making out to be. It is a minor bug in the code.

We have a really nice hangout on the internet that we don't have to pay for when you get right down to it. The fact that RCU is willing to make these changes for the Classic Pattern guys is really a nice thing considering it is not as simple as ticking a check box in the software.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry, Petec, unfortunately, RCU committed not one, but three cardinal sins in the IT world when they did this. First, they did not test it properly before they implemented it, then they did not properly test their "fix" before telling us what we were supposed to do (and then tried to make it sound like it was our fault), and the biggest sin of all, they did not announce the change BEFORE they did it so that we knew what to expect. I dealt with IT on a daily basis, and I had to sit on them constantly until they "got it" in terms of proper testing before feature rollout and customer communication; they got REAL tired of coming to my office and explaining why no one could get anything done because they had made a "minor change" to our system.

This was not a security fix that had to be done in a hurry, this was a new feature that should and could have been tested properly and announced properly. After the fiasco here last year when the whole site changed without announcement, and they had to abandon the changes 24 hours later because NOTHING worked right, I would have thought RCU would have learned their lesson. A "minor bug" to an IT person can be a major hassle to a customer. Remember, RCU is a business and they make money by us being here and looking at and buying things from their vendors; if they PO customers enough, we can go elsewhere.

Jon

ORIGINAL: petec

Do any of you remember the uproar when RCU changed formats from a straight forum format? I e-mailed RCAdmin privately with what I found when doing some testing to see if I could find a way for the changes he suggested to take effect. There is a bug in the programming....no biggie....the developer will get it fixed. I do IT work for a living....every day....this is not as big of a deal as anyone is making out to be. It is a minor bug in the code.

We have a really nice hangout on the internet that we don't have to pay for when you get right down to it. The fact that RCU is willing to make these changes for the Classic Pattern guys is really a nice thing considering it is not as simple as ticking a check box in the software.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I must be one of the more fortunate ones since I was minimaly affected by the change (my pattern forum is under pattern universe). I had bookmarked the Pattern Forum before the change and my web browser still goes there directly after the change. I also frequent the electric pattern forum (but never go to the classic pattern forum). There used to be a link at the top of my pattern forum page which would take me directly to the electric pattern page (one click away + page load time). Now I have to back into the pattern universe then select electric pattern. So it's 2 clicks + page loading time instead of the one click I enjoyed before.

Nevertheless I voted to move things back the way they were simply because I deplore how the whole situation was handled.

Glen
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I'd prefer that both Pattern and Classic Pattern be independent forums and not sub forums to anything else and here's why.

When you subscribe to a forum that's sub to another, it displays the higher forum on My Forums whether you subscribe to it or not. But more importantly, when you look at the My Forums page, you can't tell if there are new posts in the sub forum, only that there are new posts in the overall group. So I don't really care where it displays but it sure would be nice to be able to tell if each forum has new posts.

Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 PM
petec

ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Sorry, Petec, unfortunately, RCU committed not one, but three cardinal sins in the IT world when they did this. First, they did not test it properly before they implemented it, then they did not properly test their ''fix'' before telling us what we were supposed to do (and then tried to make it sound like it was our fault), and the biggest sin of all, they did not announce the change BEFORE they did it so that we knew what to expect. I dealt with IT on a daily basis, and I had to sit on them constantly until they ''got it'' in terms of proper testing before feature rollout and customer communication; they got REAL tired of coming to my office and explaining why no one could get anything done because they had made a ''minor change'' to our system.

This was not a security fix that had to be done in a hurry, this was a new feature that should and could have been tested properly and announced properly. After the fiasco here last year when the whole site changed without announcement, and they had to abandon the changes 24 hours later because NOTHING worked right, I would have thought RCU would have learned their lesson. A ''minor bug'' to an IT person can be a major hassle to a customer. Remember, RCU is a business and they make money by us being here and looking at and buying things from their vendors; if they PO customers enough, we can go elsewhere.

Jon
Jon, you need to lighten up brother. I do IT work, not deal with it. I deal with other department heads and end users who have zero idea what happens on the back end when things that work in the sandbox fail in production OR when they or their people fail to follow the instructions. There are times when all the testing in other than a production environment with real users will not bring the issues to light. The last thing this needs is to turn into is a chest beating session. You called people into your office...I call people into mine.....so what. You are upset, I get it.

They made a change. It did not work as advertised. They are working on fixing it.

It's a minor end user inconvenience for our corner of the RCU forums. You are right when you say you can go elsewhere, but why let one little pain in the neck make you change hangouts. I like RCU, I hated when they changed formats but I stayed and will continue to stay.

And I still think it's cool they are willing to put the work into ripping up their code to make the Classic Pattern guys happy.....really, they could have just said no and left all pattern in one forum instead of three.

Pete
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Wow, I'm a 30+ year IT guy myself. You two - petec and jonlowe - show classic signs of ownership. "IT'S NOT EITHER OF YOURS FORUM" get it? Jon your correct, these RCU guys messed up whether they want to admit it or not. petec unless you have skin in the revenue stream your just another cowboy with an opinion. The idiots that own RCU evidently think their running an industrial strength website. Fact is there's less than a million modelers in the world. Am I wrong? Ok, I'm wrong, I'll give you 5 million modelers.... Big wow!

Flame away, I'm out!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 AM
DRC1

This is all very interesting...I suspect that the voting sample is a cross with some disciplines voting across the aisle so to speak...

None the less, it appears that the claim of the majority isn't holding water. It's very steady at around 1/3 support from the pattern community, which is exactly represented by theclassic pattern thread which is one of three areas of pattern...

In engineering terms, we call this cherry picking data...Thus ignoring the significant sample that would have changed the outcome...

Pete, I respect your opinion...As someone who has worked as a Program Manager with Multi-Million $$$ accounts from Automotive, FDA, and DoD (to include just about everything in between...) I would have been less than impressed with the outcome. Because the way it was rolled out, I would have asked for team changes because I would not sacrifice the team or the customer’s satisfaction...

Now, this isn't business, so it really doesn't matter who worked where, who does or did what...What matters is we (RCU) managed to RAM ROD a change because of a small group of people and force it on the rest of the customers. I would say this practice has caused the demise of many small business and forums...

Food for thought, if it was tested and fared well...OK...Now we know it don't work...Pull it, make the fixes and try again...

I'm personally getting a little tired of having to hunt down a forum I enjoy...Not going anywhere as this is a small thing compared to other life events...

So, let’s team up...Pull it back the way it was...Make the fixes and try it again...But tell everyone first by posting in the affected forums. Ask for feedback...If it's screwed up, roll it back and try again...

Larry Diamond
NSRCA 3083
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
petec

ORIGINAL: LLD

this is a small thing compared to other life events...
I agree 100%.

Pete
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
klhoard

Don't any of ya have airplanes to build. . . . or maybe even fly?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:08 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: klhoard

keith, most of the building goes on in the classic pattern forum, but you know that already.[8D]
Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM
klhoard

Yeah, had to wash the epoxy/micoballoon paste off my hands to check this forum. . .

ORIGINAL: dhal22

ORIGINAL: klhoard

keith, most of the building goes on in the classic pattern forum, but you know that already.[8D]
Old 04-03-2010, 09:32 PM
petec

Just got done shooting the primer on my VF3....what were you guys saying?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

We were saying, just make one pattern forum since it doesn't matter what they are are powered by, what they are made of, or which type of competition you prefer to fly in.

That will save the trouble of having to add another sub forum for fiberglas F3A pattern....
Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM
shepga

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heck No, either fix the problem others are experiencing or put the forum back the way it was. As I mentioned before my pattern forum is working just fine now but worked a wee bit better before the change.

Glen
Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the pattern forums should be separated. i have no interest in reading a thread on a $4500 pattern arf assembly. i read each and every classic thread daily, especially the build threads.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 AM
junebugspade2

Hello all,

I bought this plane from a hobby shop after 6 yrs of trying to get them to sell it to me. Now I need to know what kind it is. Does anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93597.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1414771  
Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Rick75
My Feedback: (3)

t-27 Tucano, old color scheme of the "Esquadrilha da Fumaca "(smoke squadrom) from Brazil. It is a scale/sport plane with tri-gear retracts I think. What is the wingspan on it?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 AM
junebugspade2

I think it's about 65 inches, not sure. It has a OS 91 on it.