Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic

AS well as I can remember.....FAI 1st Ray Morton 2nd Dave Johnstone

Masters 1st Verne Koester 2nd Neil Fausna

Advanced 1st Mark Radcliff 2nd Ken Alexander ( Not sure here.... Very close)

Intermediate 1st Michael Cilles 2nd Ron Hansen 3rd Jim Gruntkowski 4th Scott McNickel 5th Rick Cilles
6th Dave Cook

Sportsman 1st Dan Bregar 2nd Peter Van heusden 3rd Teo(Viva Peru) 4th Bill Kutchel

I think this is correct. If not its real close and I will stand corrected...

RC
Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
RC11

We had a couple or three drop out for various reasons but it was a good contest!
Wish you could of made it Arch!

RC
Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too Rick, but I was sitting in the car for 2 1/2 days. We made it in yesterday about 3:00. Wasn't a bad trip though. We drove about 10-12 hours each day and then stopped. Made it from SA to Montgomery, AL on night 1, then up to Charlotte on day 2 and then on in last night.

Arch
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Rick
You have a good memory.
Bob Condra was third in Advanced . He had radio issues and didn't finish Saturday. Otherwise it would have been a fight to the finish.
Dowayne
Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
viva_peru

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank Dowayne and the rest of the TORKS members which made this event possible. This was my first contest and I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I am sure that there will be more in the future. It proved to be quite a learning experience and people freely shared their experience with me. It is true that you learn more from attending a contest than from simply practicing the sequence. For those getting started, these are my impressions:

1) The people involved in the event are great. I felt welcomed and included. Expereinced flyers answered my questions and freely gave tips and pointers.
2) I am not the only who struggles with flying a straight line, executing the manuevers consistently and keeping it all within the box. Knowing that others have the same struggles made me realize that all of us have things to learn.
3) You will survive getting a zero for a maneuver. I missed the paved portion of the runway on my first landing. A little embarassing, but worth a laugh! (those darn thermals kept pushing the planes away from the runway...).
4) After a flight, it is a good idea to ask the judges what you could have done better. I got some great tips that way.
5) The box is a lot smaller than I used to think. I will need to figure out how to mark the 60 degree lines at my home field.
6) We flew in weather in which I would have stayed home and done something else. The contest made me realize that less than perfect days are good days in which to practice.
7) I used to think that I would really like to have a 2M plane in order to compete. After flying my 60 in Extra 330 and seeing the 2M planes fly I came to realize that the difference in size and performance was not great as I thought. A nice straight sport plane will fly the Sportsman sequence well and a baby pattern plane (a SpotOn 50/120, SebArt Angel 50 or Wind 110) would be perfect.

All in all, a very good experience.

Teo
Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Gungadin

Teo, It was good to meet you also. I enjoyed our chat together. Keep em flying.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I enjoyed meeting you too, Teo. I flew in my first pattern contest less than a year ago and made many of the same discoveries as you did. For some reason (probably from reading the model magazines) I was under the impression that all pattern flyers were some sort of gods who could invisibly correct for a 40 mph crosswind and draw perfect shapes in the sky. It was a relief to find out that there are very, very few pilots at that level and even very good ones struggle like we do, just a little more successfully.

The other big surprise was how friendly and helpful the contestants and officials were and continue to be.

Scott
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Columbus Ron

Scott, I'm disappointed that you no longer think I'm a god.

At least my wife thinks I'm still a god

Old 06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
viva_peru

Hello guys,

I enjoyed meeting you as well. As Scott said, it was a big relief to see that I am not the only mere mortal who tries to fly pattern. I took a couple of pictures during the contest, so I will try to post those by tomorrow. I believe that Dowayne did take a few, with a little luck, maybe he will post some of them as well.

Teo
Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry Ron, I guess you'll have to settle for being really good, lol.
Thanks for keeping the contest moving so we could get six rounds in!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM
viva_peru

Hello,

I have enclosed a few photos.

1) Verne's Integral
2) Ray's Black Magic
3) Sitting out the rain
4) My Fliton Extra next to Verne's Integral
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52486.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1453853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20400.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1453854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79397.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1453855   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh14995.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1453856  
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Another contest i missed. Haven't touched a transmitter in June yet. and it won't be this weekend either. Going to miss Hoffman Estates and the nats, Hope to be back for the two Michigan contests and Quincy, After that who knows.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 AM
VerneK

You're just gonna have to decide whether you wanna be a lawnboy or a flyboy.... [8D]

Verne

ORIGINAL: d_bodary

Another contest i missed. Haven't touched a transmitter in June yet. and it won't be this weekend either. Going to miss Hoffman Estates and the nats, Hope to be back for the two Michigan contests and Quincy, After that who knows.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 AM
RC11

If you show up for a contest you'll get your six dollars. LOL

Rick
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys make me real sad that I skipped out, and attended the Milwaukee contest instead. If it's any consolation, Mike missed both contests because he was told that he couldn't fly in any more contests until he got the Contra prop molds finished.

Fortunately however, it looks like taking a hard line has produced results. Check out this Facebook picture showing what he's been able to accomplish.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1050613343
Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Columbus Ron

Man that think is wacky looking.

When do you plan to fly it?

Going to Hoffman Estates?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Brenner

I'll fly it on Thursday. I figure the props should be cured by then, and I definitely plan on being at Hoffman Estates. I ran it today on the ground with a freshly charged pack, and I got 69 amps, and 2450 watts, so it's absorbing the right amount of power on the ground at least.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
iflyrc24
My Feedback: (5)

Pics of the Heart of Ohio Pattern Classic can be found at http://hopc.homeip.net/HOPC/2010_Photos.html
Brenner that thing looks like it would remove a finger just below the neck without too much trouble. How did it fly?
Dowayne
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Brenner

Well, I put three or four flights in on Thursday evening, and it works great. First off, there is no torque at all during take-off. I no longer have to input any rudder to make the plane track straight as I accelerate.

The most noticeable thing is the downline braking that I get from two props. The plane seems to drop very slowly at a constant rate without any acceleration at all, which I'm hoping will make a lot of maneuvers much easier.

The motor braking effect from the two props was also very noticeable on landing. I think I landed short on every flight because the plane didn't float nearly as far as I'm used to. Also, I was able to come in under power with a very high angle of attack with absolutely zero wing rocking.

Another maneuver that is now much easier is a stall turn. I'm finding that I can let the plane slow down until it just hovers for a couple of seconds, and then I slowly apply rudder and rotate it as if it was held with a pin in the center of the fuselage, all the while the wings stay perfectly in plane.

The noise is different. I haven't decided yet whether on not it's too loud or not, but when I run it on the ground it doesn't seem loud at all. (probably because the props are partially stalled when the airspeed is below 14 mph...)

Right now the rest of the plane needs trimming properly, so that's where I'm going to spend my time. It looks like I'm still going to need all of the standard mixes, so it's going to take some time to get everything dialed in.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Gregg G

Brenner any idea what the cost involved was to have that set up?

Greg Grigsby
Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Brenner

Greg, It's a little hard to estimate because all of the parts were hand made. Nothing was bought in a store, and all the CNC machining time was donated by the guy that actually made all of the parts. I can give you the following list, but I don't know if it will be a lot of help.

1/.. 300 hours of engineering design, and CAD work.
2/.. 300 hours of fabrication time.
3/.. Maybe $1000 of material and parts.
4/.. Maybe $10,000 of donated time on a CNC machining center, and a CNC turning center.

Brenner ...