Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My First NATS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First NATS!

A few years back I was on a layover in Redondo Beach, CA when a captain with whom I was working a four day trip suggested I come down to Ave B and watch him fly his glider on the beach. Considering we both worked in aviation, I had visions of hang gliders or sailplanes on a winch so you can imagine my surprise when he pulled a 24 inch flying wing out of the hotel's storage closet and walked with me down to Ave B. If you haven't been to Redondo Beach, you simply have to envision a sandy strip with a constant breeze, and a perfect 200 ft sand wall running the whole length. To say I was enraptured by the simplicity of his wing soaring across the dune does not speak justice to the moment, and then imagine my surprise when he introduced me to Mike, a retired Lockheed engineer, who offered free lessons everyday from 3 to 5 in the afternoon. Within two weeks I was soloed and by the end of the month I had a Stryker body that I had converted into a 10 oz glider (10 ozs being the limiting weight under Redondo Beach ordinance). Never in my wildest dreams would I believe that 4 years later I'd be attending the National NSRCA Pattern Competition in Muncie, IN with a plane that cost more than I would care to admit infront of my wife!

The anticipatory build up during the last few weeks was terrible. How could I expect to leave my wife and kids for 5 days during the height of summer and drive 733 miles to Indiana? Was I crazy? Who would walk the dogs and feed my fish? But yet I had been promising folks for months on end that I would certainly attend plus there were all those hours spent practicing so as not to make a fool of myself during my first Nat performance, and then there was the factor of letting my friend and mentor down by changing my mind at the last minute. In the end I decided "what the heck . . . I deserve something that's just for me!"

Sunday morning came and I packed up the car at 5AM and hit the road for 11 grueling hours. State Troopers to the left, idiot drivers to the right, traffic in Columbus, and even a Severe Thunderstorm Warning telling me to take shelter on I-70 in case of a tornado on the Emergency Broadcast System didn't stop my steady progress towards Muncie, and then, finally, I was there. I don't know how many of you know the Blind Melon video with the little girl in a bumble bee suit who finds all the other crazies with bumble bee suits at the end, but anyways, thats how I felt. At home I almost always practice alone and the only competitions I attend are hours away, but here I had found a mecca with every plane and pilot type I could imagine. All talk focused on one topic, and questions about incidence or deflection didn't bring quizzical looks but rather genuine answers. I had found my new favorite summer vacation spot, Muncie, IN! Never mind that the carpeting of the Day's Inn was slightly sticky, or that the guy who gave me directions on Rte 35 looked like someone out of the movie Deliverance, here was the ultimate RC flying field with all the greatest RC flyers congregated in one spot, and my only concern for the next 3 days was flying, flying, and more flying!

Of course even in the midst of all that euphoria came the concern over not really knowing anyone well other than my close friend C.M. That proved, as a did all my other fears, a silly concern. Didn't matter where folks were from, we were all there to have a good time and the conversation flowed like wine in a Roman court. I got caught short handed once with no caller and young Houston, who didn't know me from "Adam", stepped up and volunteered to call for me, simultaneously giving me insights that undoubtedly helped boost my score even though I was a direct competitor, granted not of the same caliber, but the sentiment was greatly appreciated none the less!

In the end I can safely say that I learned more and developed more friendships at the Nats than I have learned and developed in the last couple of years. Plus there was the added benefit of all the "Horse Trading" that went on which ended up in my acquiring a back up E-Motion from the fella who ended up buying the spectacularly beautiful VISA ARF shown by [link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/visa.html]F3AUnlimited.com[/link], and that brings me to the most selfish plug of all at the end. Against numerous unbelievers and naysayers, I would dare say my Delro with it's tiny motor showed quite well. I wish my stick skills had been consistent enough to allow the plane to shine better, but none the less, I am certain by the comments I got that everyone remembers that "yellow plane". What I wonder is how many folks realized I was running a Pletty 25-12, a Dimension Engineering BEC, and using the new Power Unlimited batteries! By the same token I was equally impressed with Tony Claridge and his stock Wind 110. For anyone who has read the "can't slow it down in a down line" or the "gotta go 10S" discussion on the Wind thread, I would say his performance puts all those questions to shame. The stock Wind 110 under Tony's capable thumbs showed admirably!

Well . . . although I fear I could "wax eloquently" for hours on end with regards to my first Nats experience, I'm afraid family and chores are calling my name so I will bring this edition of my story to an end with a simple "Thank-you" to Dave and Derek and Mike and Rusty and all those who work so tirelessly behind the scenes to put together an event that reaches out beyond the elite and lets even an "average Joe" have his day. Thanks guys. It was great!

And, I hope everyone will chime in and share their first Nats story as well!

Joe in NY
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
2Sunny

Default RE: My First NATS!

And a few borrowed pictures to spice up the thread. Who is that handsome devil with the big ears in the NSRCA shirt . . . hmmm?

And by the way . . . what does SMF stand for on the VISA . . . enquiring minds want to know!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31113.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1472429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27712.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1472430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51062.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	1472431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12966.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	1472432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70818.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1472433  
Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe Chip said it was "Solid Model Flight" or something..
Old 07-23-2010, 08:06 PM
ArchNemesis

Uh, yeah.... I'm pretty sure it's PC for "Sexy Mother F....."
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 AM
bedowinn

Congrats on finishing 7th against all those young guns!
Next year Advanced??

Mike
Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 AM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: bedowinn

Congrats on finishing 7th against all those young guns!
Next year Advanced??

Mike

Thanks Mike! Yeah, the only way I can keep up with "young guns" like Houston is when his 2 stroke quits mid-sequence He's quite the RC pilot, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for him. As to moving up, it's not that I'm not itching to try my hand at snaps and slow rolls, but I definitely can use another season or two on learning to hold a line before adding more complexity so I think at least for next year I'll stick with the "new and improved" 2011 Intermediate Sequence. Any chance we might see you at next years Nats? And by the way, have you had a chance to test the new Scorpion Motor? I have one of the Scorpion Competition Series 4035-210 motors in my possession (490g, 210kv, 2500 watts), but haven't had an opportunity to test it yet. I think it's certainly worthy of a separate thread, and it looks to be tailor made for the Wind 110!

Joe
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

Joe,

I've spent many days at Redondo Beach so I know what it's like... I worked for Chevron and visited their refinery in El Segundo a number of times. Great place to do some people watching too - forget those gliders, Joe.

It was good to meet you finally - and guys on RCU - he isn't as bad as he sometimes comes across here. I did not get to see you fly, unfortunately, but I'm sure the experience was worth it, so welcome to the "club". I look forward to seeing you in future years.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
svrcp
My Feedback: (1)

JP you need another Derlo plane . I got the color match of the ADDICTION to go with your new Emotion . They were paint booth buddy's. Gald to hear it went to a good home. I to see it flying again .
Jr