RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   1.20 size airplane (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/10767605-1-20-size-airplane.html)

bcfhigdon 10-16-2011 04:42 AM

1.20 size airplane

I have been out of the hobby and pattern for quite some time. Would like to start out with a 1.20 size airplane. I have not had much luck in finding an airplane. The only 2 planes I have found that may work are the World Models Spot on 120 or the Aeroworls 1.20 size Yak. Can anyone give me feedback on either of these planes or suggest another? Looking for a nitro as I plan on using the YS115 to power the airplane. Thanks Clint

cmoulder 10-16-2011 05:12 AM

RE: 1.20 size airplane

Clint, the reason you're not seeing too many nitro options for pattern is that pattern has, for the most part, "gone electric", and many/most of the new offerings are designed from the ground up as electric.

Since you're just getting back into the hobby, it would be a great time to consider the path you want to take, before any large investments are made.

Last year I switched over from glow/gasser to electric and have not regretted the decision at all. Best thing ever, in fact. The initial cost of batteries, chargers and AC/DC power supply was not insignificant, but those are expenditures that won't have to be made regularly (aside from batteries) every year. However, battery prices have come WAY down and are much more reasonable than they used to be.

Jetdesign 10-16-2011 06:07 AM

There is a lot of information about the Spot On out there, just probably buried a little deep - been awhile since I was reading/looking at that one.

People really seemed to like that plane, well built, should be a great airplane to run off your YS and get back into the hobby.

Aeroworks Yak is a great airplane, not the best for pattern due to the shorter tail - pattern planes are a little longer from wings to tail to help the plane track straight through maneuvers. I have a Yak, definitely more 'wiggly' than a pattern plane - lots of fun to fly but for different reasons.

apereira 10-16-2011 07:23 AM

Welcome back!, go with the Spot on 120, can't go wrong with that, there are other 120 range for nitro out there, there are several options, but the Spot ON flies well and well made, there's also the Axiome 110 but that is quite expensive.

Good luck.

Alejandro P.

TimBle 10-16-2011 08:53 AM

I have a Spot On. It is absolute rubbish. Poor covering, poorly built and TWM is not a stand up company IME.

I bought one, the stab and rear fuselage was built skew. I complained and they replaced it with another bent fuselage. This ones bent like a banana. They refuse to replace it. I won't be buying another TWM plane as they say they have fullfilled their obligation to me...

The plane flies ok but naturally with a bent fuselage it has a lot of coupling on knife edge and getting up lines straight requires constant rudder correction.

For a really good 1.20 size pattern look no further than Sebart's Wind S 110.
If Nitro power is want you want the Phoeni Accipiter is also an awesome plane.

CMPro Leo 110 also looks good but its also a bit hit and miss in terms of quality. Generally it is a good plane.

jetmech43 10-16-2011 11:10 AM

Clint you might be able to find a venus 2 thet pop up on here everyone in awhile

jetmech43 10-16-2011 11:15 AM

theres a venus 2 for sale in the for sale section new in the box

Jetdesign 10-16-2011 12:29 PM

I suggest you (OP) read the thread on the Spot On. I have found it easy to get discouraged about things by reading negative posts by a few people, later to find majority of people had better experiences. Don't know if that is true or not here, but definitely read the 12 pages or so of comments rather than just one above:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58..._1/key_/tm.htm

corch 10-16-2011 03:12 PM

Monolog 110 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm

Glow, gas or electric. If you scroll around that thread you should find some contact information. Good luck!

rix 10-16-2011 04:08 PM

I have a Wind 110 for sale, please see the NSRCA forum for details

bcfhigdon 10-16-2011 06:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Have changed my mind going with the Osiris 62.

Jetdesign 10-17-2011 05:02 AM

GREAT choice. Welcome back!

(check out the movie that supplements the Osiris - Andrew Jesky (top level US pattern flier who designed the plane) goes through setting up the plane, picking out components, and assembling, then goes into flying precision aerobatics with it. I don't have the Osiris but got the video for Christmas and really enjoy it.)

TimBle 10-17-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bcfhigdon

Thanks for the feedback. Have changed my mind going with the Osiris 62.

Very good choice. If I Could lay my hands on one I would.

cmoulder 10-17-2011 06:12 AM

Clint, that is indeed a good choice!

I got a chance to fly one (thanks, Dana!) and was very impressed with its crisp and precise manners. I have two 2-meter models, but plan to get one of these to fly at a small local field.

bcfhigdon 10-20-2011 09:48 AM

Picked up a Vanquish also. Looks like I'm an electirc flyer now.

cmoulder 10-20-2011 12:46 PM

The 2-meter Vanquish??!

Sounds like you're all in, dude!!

The small Vanquish is pretty awesome, but the 2-meter is an extremely capable contest model at a very reasonable price, as pattern ships go.

Better get 'em while you can, they're selling out as soon as EF gets a shipment.

TimBle 10-20-2011 01:06 PM

EF received another shipment. Making enquiries about have one shipped over. hope he shipping is not going to cripple the deal.

Jetdesign 10-20-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bcfhigdon

Picked up a Vanquish also. Looks like I'm an electirc flyer now.
Nice job. The better I get to know electric flight, the more I like it. As with anything there is a learning curve (come on here and ask lots of questions!), but it is totally worth the time and investment.

TimBle 10-20-2011 11:10 PM

Hmm, electric has its advantages  but the initial outlat in batteries is quite substantial.

I put in about 6-10 12min flights in a morning at the airfield. Thats around 2 hours of flying. I recharge my Rx pack twice (Hyperion LiFePO4).

Running petrol  I can fly all day really and get in lots of flight.

If I was flying electric I'd be limited to the number of flights by the number of battery packs I have. Charging LiPo's above 1C reduces their lifecycle. Two pairs that i Have been testing  shows a 30% reduction in time 90% of full capacity. i.e. the capacity of the packs I charge at 2C has been reduced to 90% of the capacity of the packs I charge at 1C.  All the packs are 2yrs old and same brand, similar capacity and C rating and from the same batch.
with only around 10mins flight time possible on the 4S pack I fly all 4 batteries dead in a hour. Before I can charge the first pack I need to wait 20min for it to cool before I charge it. So to repeat the cycle I need to wait nearly 2hrs before I can fly again. A petrol or methanol engine simply allows for flights.
For folk starting out in pattern I'd recommend a liquid fuel plane. It simply allows more flying time. Thats one perspective

cmoulder 10-21-2011 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a very valid point.

However, if there is an electrical outlet at the flying field one can fly pretty much non-stop all day with 4-5 batteries and a decent charging station.

There are no electrical outlets at any of the fields where I fly - nor at any of the pattern events I have attended - so I also have a 1K-watt Honda inverter generator (WiseSales.com has them for about $740 which includes shipping) and can go all day with this set-up. Again, not cheap, but also not a purchase that has to be repeated for some years to come. In the USA, at least, this has become the common 'field kit' at pattern contests. I am using 2 Cellpro chargers (10S and 10XP) and a PowerMax 75-amp PS, so I can charge two 10s batteries simultaneously.

bcfhigdon 10-21-2011 07:18 AM

Yes the 2M Vanquish. I'm going with 8 batteries. Will have a generator mounted to a trailer. Looking forward to get both airplanes in the air.

TimBle 10-21-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

This is a very valid point.

However, if there is an electrical outlet at the flying field one can fly pretty much non-stop all day with 4-5 batteries and a decent charging station.

There are no electrical outlets at any of the fields where I fly - nor at any of the pattern events I have attended - so I also have a 1K-watt Honda inverter generator (WiseSales.com has them for about $740 which includes shipping) and can go all day with this set-up. Again, not cheap, but also not a purchase that has to be repeated for some years to come. In the USA, at least, this has become the common 'field kit' at pattern contests. I am using 2 Cellpro chargers (10S and 10XP) and a PowerMax 75-amp PS, so I can charge two 10s batteries simultaneously.
Heck I hope by the time I enter electric pattern they'll have invented some sort of charger the sucks electricity out of the air and puts it into my batteries.
At the moment with a DLE20 in the nose of my Spot On all I need is a Tx, a charger and 12V SLA to power it, achicken stick and 5Lof petrol to go fly!

crash1ace 10-22-2011 06:55 PM

go nitro!

TimBle 10-22-2011 09:30 PM

to much mess and the glow driver is a weak link. Been there tried that.