RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Radiance F3A - new pattern kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/10970855-radiance-f3a-new-pattern-kit.html)

Alex Voicu 03-30-2012 07:59 AM

RE: Radiance F3A - new pattern kit

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see, there's enough space inside the cowl for the OS33, but you would probably need to replace the standard exhaust with a tuned pipe.
Please keep in mind that the structure was tested with electric power only.

Alex Voicu 03-30-2012 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More work on the stabs:

Alex Voicu 04-02-2012 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Final operations on the stabs:

MTK 04-02-2012 11:53 AM

The OS33GT is a powerful 2 stroke that produces considerable vibration. I would not put this engine in a plane without proper soft mounting. A hyde type mount set-up with 1" standoffs works fine. The minimum donut thickness should be 1" for better isolation.

guille2006 04-02-2012 09:47 PM

Alex; what servo are mounting on the stab? It's inside the stab; isn't?
Great Plane!!!

Alex Voicu 04-03-2012 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: guille2006

Alex; what servo are mounting on the stab? It's inside the stab; isn't?
Great Plane!!!
Thanks Guille. Yes the elevator servos are installed inside the stab as illustrated in the attached pictures.
The hole in the supporting rib is dimensioned for the Futaba S9650 as it is probably the most popular choice for elevator servos.
It would be easy though to install any other servo of similar size.

Alex Voicu 04-04-2012 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached a few pictures from the molding process of the cowl and canopy. The mold plugs were all CNC machined following the CAD 3D models.

Alex Voicu 04-04-2012 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the spinner, we decided to use a CNC machined mold and also a press tool to make sure the final part will run true without any vibrations. After the epoxy resin is cured, the excess material is also cut using a lathe.

TimBle 04-04-2012 02:02 PM

THanks Alex for the information on fitting the OSGT33 in the cowl. Thats very reassuring.

Also good work on the moulds. This is a very professional job. Thanks for bringing this very cost effective kit to the market at such a good level of quality.

Alex Voicu 04-11-2012 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last pictures before painting / covering, showing the assembled model with cowl, canopy and spinner fitted. Sorry for the low resolution:

Alex Voicu 04-12-2012 07:12 AM

2 renders of the model with our suggested paintscheme:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6594/render4h.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2561/render5odd.jpg

rcpattern 04-12-2012 09:58 AM

That is a great looking airplane. Very well done,

Arch

Alex Voicu 04-13-2012 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arch, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like it.

And now finally some pictures of the finished V2 and V3 prototypes. Tommie decided to switch the red and silver colors and it turned out pretty nice.
Please note that the kit version has longer ailerons and a different, better looking spinner.

sps3172 05-24-2012 07:13 PM

Hello Alex,

Is this model intended to be covered entirely with iron on film (I understand paint would be required on fiberglass parts)? I'm curious as to the impact of glassing/painting on overall weight.

Thanks!
- Steve

Alex Voicu 05-25-2012 07:44 AM

Hi Steve,

You're right, paint is required for the cowl, canopy and spinner. The fuselage can be either film covered or glassed/painted, it's your choice. The film for the fuselage weights around 80g, glass/paint is a little heavier (~240g) so you need to be careful. You can find more details in Claude's post [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9401044]here[/link] (post #118). I would say if you decide to go with glass/paint you need to choose the lightest balsa you can find for sheeting the fuselage.

stonyZ 05-26-2012 06:43 PM

hi are plans available for this plane? thanks

Alex Voicu 05-26-2012 10:36 PM

Sorry, the model is only available as a kit.

gdaddy 06-20-2012 12:46 PM

Hi, really beautiful airplane!

Could you post the general dimensions of the fuselage? I'm interested in knowing how tall it is at the canopy and the width as well. Its kind of hard to tell in the pics.

Thank you!

Alex Voicu 06-21-2012 07:13 AM

Thanks Gdaddy, here are the dimensions you asked for:

- max fuselage height in the canopy area: 340mm
- max fuselage width: 160mm
- rudder is 414mm tall

In general Radiance is a little bigger than the Integral.

sps3172 06-22-2012 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Alex Voicu

As you can see, there's enough space inside the cowl for the OS33, but you would probably need to replace the standard exhaust with a tuned pipe.
Please keep in mind that the structure was tested with electric power only.
Hi Alex,

Did you model the entire OS 33 in Solidworks too? If so, would you be willing to share a file?

-Steve

Alex Voicu 06-22-2012 08:22 AM

Sorry Steve, i don't have a 3D model of the OS33. I used a 1:1 scale picture from the engine manual.

sps3172 06-22-2012 09:24 AM

Hi Alex,

What are the chances that you'd offer a 'IC/wet power compatible' fuselage at some point in the future?

It seems that you did a masterful job of optimizing the structure for electric power. I suspect trying to use an engine like the OS 33 or one of the YS's would be more involved than simply confirming that it fits the cowl and then 'beefing' things up.

- Steve

Alex Voicu 06-22-2012 09:56 AM

Hi Steve,

Maybe in the future, if the sales go well, we will be able to offer a IC power version, but at the moment it would be too expensive for us to retool for IC power, build new airframes and test them. Don't know about the OS33, but looking at other kits designed for the YS170 like the japanese Wingray, i would say the structure is at least equally strong.

Rune 07-18-2012 03:27 AM

Hi
I see that the cowling are put on the fuse with some smal screws, is the front big enough to slide a normal outrunner in??
I lokking after a new project for next winter but dont like a cowl that are mounted like that.
So I was think maybe glue it in place as they normally do on the japaneese kits and either mount the engine from front or from the inside off the fuse.

Alex Voicu 07-18-2012 08:29 AM

Hi Rune,

Radiance is designed for backmounted outrunner motors. The diameter of the spinner is 82mm, so i would say you can slide a regular outrunner in through the front of the cowl, but not with the X mount installed. Anyway, if you choose to glue the cowl in place, i'm not sure you will be able to access the motor screws easily.

If you are concerned about the small cowl screws, you don't have to drill them through the side of the fuselage. There is a way to hide them inside the model (drill the holes through the firewall and cowl frame).