RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Suggestions for newbie pattern pilot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/10986008-suggestions-newbie-pattern-pilot.html)

EngineDesigner 03-04-2012 09:16 AM

Suggestions for newbie pattern pilot

First off let me thank you for those who will post here. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

About me, pretty decent 3D pilot,(harrier rolling circles, rolling loops, torque rolling, not a problem with 100cc planes)(actually bored with it...) as well as Jet turbine pilot.

I would love to hear all opinions on entry in the wide body pattern world. I see all the ships but do not know what is the best route to go. I have been a gas man for awhile(not against glow), but wouldn't mind doing an electric setup either. Comp-arf Valiant perhaps? What is the proper way for a newbie to go? I do have a NIB Great Planes Venus 2(kinda thought DLE 20 on canister) and a lil' Sequence.

I dont mind spending to get into this, but dont like to waste money either.

Thanks again,
EngineDesigner

grantb 03-04-2012 10:12 AM

RE: Suggestions for newbie pattern pilot

A personal perspective.

Take it slow. it doesn't really matter what you fly. Have fun. Stay out of politics.

Take your time. To succeed at pattern is a journey. You need the right equipment at the right time.

rene69 03-04-2012 11:35 AM

To start flying pattern is best to do it in the Sportsman class. The advantage is that you can feel what pattern is about and get to know some of the people involve in it. Most of the people are terrific and will give you a hand and an opinion as to what to get. Also you will see different airplanes in action. The other plus is by participating in Sportsman you can use ANY AMA legal airplane. Go to the NSRCA site (http://nsrca.us/) and look at the calendar for your area and pattern sequences. NSRCA is the pattern special interest group with the AMA, you may want to joint them. They publish the K-Factor which is dedicated to the pattern activity.
I'm in the Texas, Austin area, do not know where you are, but feel free to contact me if you want.

Rene Grebe
[email protected]

Jetdesign 03-04-2012 11:37 AM

I had the Venus II and LOVED it. I sold it to fund my conversion to electric power, but I really miss that plane. It is a GREAT plane to start flying pattern with. I flew it with an OS 120AX (2stroke) and a YS 1.10 (4 stroke). Also I've seen it fly with other 1.20 four strokes - any of those is fine, and a comparable gas would probably work as well (not sure about weight). With that plane you can be competitive with the Venus II in the first couple of classes - there are no snaps or spins in Sportsman or Intermediate.

ExtremeflightRC just released the Vanquish 2 (don't know if it's electric only), and it's a 2 meter plane for about $600.

Of course, there are fancier planes out there, and if you're like me and most other people I know, there is certainly a draw to a nice new composite airframe. Check out F3AUnlimited.com for airplanes - they have a nice selection. The proprietor is a pattern pilot (and a commercial airplane pilot) that is in your Pattern District (D2 I think).

Personally I would fly the Venus and see how you like pattern - if you like it, fly the Venus until you truthfully feel limited by it's smaller size, and by then you'll have a better idea of what's out there.

By the way, what kind of engines do you design? My other half wants to move toward the south east, but would only go if I can find a job that's as fun as what I've got now (designing turbine engines).

corch 03-04-2012 04:50 PM

Assemble your Venus.  Go to contests.  Have fun.:D

petec 03-06-2012 09:39 AM

Use the Venus to get your feet wet. If you decide you like Pattern then you can look at other airframes.

I'm sure someone has probably done an electric conversion on the Venus II if you want to go that route otherwise go find a suitable engine of your liking and fly.

cmoulder 03-06-2012 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: petec

Use the Venus to get your feet wet. If you decide you like Pattern then you can look at other airframes.

I'm sure someone has probably done an electric conversion on the Venus II if you want to go that route otherwise go find a suitable engine of your liking and fly.
How many of us started Pattern with a Venus II?

I learned how to do slow rolls and 4-point rolls with a Venus II. Did a couple thousand rolls to the right ("left rudder... push... right rudder") and then a couple thousand to the left. No better way to train your thumbs to follow your eyes without checking in with the brain for permission.

Definitely all you need to be competitive in Sportsman and Intermediate, and maybe even Advanced. Though I never got to try it in Advanced because of a mid-air that completely destroyed it.

I had an OS 1.20 4-stroke on mine, with a Perry oscillating pump and fuel tank on CG. But I'm all electric now.