RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Electric Vs Engine. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/11179326-electric-vs-engine.html)

apereira 08-26-2012 08:30 PM

RE: Electric Vs Engine.

Henning,

We were shocked at what happened to you, we know what it takes to go to a WC, but that's the past brst of luck to you and you can enjoy SA next year, good luck.

Today I flew 6 15 minutes flights with me Axiome with the YS 175, the most impresive YS to date, I have not been able to do that in the same time frame with my Amethyst with 6 TP packs, and I have actually spend more time charging the batteries and recharge to storage at the end of the day in two years than I had worked on my YS engines or the last 5 years. I fly both but preffer the YS anytime, it is simply a matter of what do like and enjoy the best, I don't think there is a rule for that, fly what you want, can and have, but always having fun.

serious power 08-28-2012 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: MTK

Brian,

You took the word ''mechanic'' literally. A better word is ''craftsman'', not just a simple assembler
Hi Matt,
I did ,sort of anyway.
The idea of a really big version of the YS came to me some time ago.
They just keep on getting bigger, and as engines go they are just about as rough running as it gets.
I just wanted to paint the picture of a really big one on the screen of a few minds.
If someone did put a 750cc one in a bike I would hide behind a blast screen for the first throttle up :D.
I really don't know why they don't balance them up a bit better.

Brian

bjr_93tz 08-28-2012 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: serious power
I really don't know why they don't balance them up a bit better.
Because they aren't out of balance.

I'm sure the valve timing, compression and ignition timing could be softend to produce a smoother running less powerful motor but I wouldn't accuse the YS of suffering from a balance issue.

I'd be more worried if Harley Davidson started producing v-twins for model airplanes than YS producing singles for motorcycles :-) A lumpy 500cc methanol burning, supercharged, fourstroke single made by YS would slot right into a speedway bike frame.

I tried to run an OS max 40FP once and the vibes nearly tore the vice off the bench, THAT engine definitely had balance issues......

macleote 08-30-2012 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: papaone

Hello
Nial wrote :
"I personally think the thing about Electric v Engine for me is that I am never worried about my electric starting or more importantly stopping. If you set it up correctly and manage your battery correctly and monitor how they are behaving then you rarely have an issue. I just never had that feeling when I flew IC"

There are problems with YS sure. It's necessary to like and have skill in mécanics.
But it's not true to tell with Electric there is no problem. I have a lot of examples whose friends burn their controlers, batteries.
I personnaly saw electric patterns burn in flight. Planes were totaly destroyed.

In French championship (International category FAI) yesterday on friday, Axiome's controler burst after the first figure so the gear broke at the landing and the flight was lost.
Third flight motor support broke destroying the front of the plane. So Third flight was lost and he will not participate to the Fly off.

hi papaone,
Don't forget to tell that in french Nats, around ten dead sticks With YS during the championship. Many hours of mechanic between flights. Both have advantage and inconvenient but please be unbiased Papaone!
In my opinion, take the engine you want, do'esn't matter if it's electric or glow, the only limit you will find is your skill!
But Fly!!! it is the most important!
<br type="_moz" />

MTK 08-30-2012 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: macleote

Don't forget to tell that in french Nats, around ten dead sticks With YS during the championship. Many hours of mechanic between flights. Both have advantage and inconvenient but please be unbiased Papaone!
In my opinion, take the engine you want, do'esn't matter if it's electric or glow, the only limit you will find is your skill!
But Fly!!! it is the most important!
<br type=''_moz'' />
I'm curious what the break down of electric to engine power ratio was at the French Nats. Were all the engines YS 4 strokes?

As to the YS dead sticks, was it one engine that died 10 times or was it 10 engines that died once each. Were these CDI versions or glow?

I know of a couple French pilots playing with petrol power. Any problems with the petrol powerplants?

papaone 08-30-2012 08:47 AM

Hello

erased because double

papaone 08-30-2012 08:50 AM

Hello

I wrote :
"There are problems with YS sure. It's necessary to like and have skill in mécanics. "

Mcleote wrote :
"In my opinion, take the engine you want, do'esn't matter if it's electric or glow, the only limit you will find is your skill!
But Fly!!! it is the most important!"
I totaly agree with.
It was just an answer to precise that there is no 100 % reliability whatever engine or electric power.
Claude

Jetdesign 08-30-2012 06:13 PM

I am curious about comparing a faster spinning electric with a smaller prop to a glow motor.

Hacker claims they are after a YS feel with their new Q80 motor, which is available in a slightly higher kv than we've been seeing.

Electric and glow seem to have different powerbands, at least the way they are generally setup for pattern. It seems to me that we could find an electric combo that sacrifices some of the grunt for more top end.

I think YS is the coolest. They look and sound awesome, and in my perspective seem to have the most power. But I prefer the clean electric option. I don't have to change clothes or clean my plane, I can have batteries mailed (for now), and if I have a dead stick I know something is really wrong. I don't have the time to fiddle and learn to be a ys mechanic. Hopefully some day.