RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   2m orisis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/11268893-2m-orisis.html)

Walfam 10-19-2012 01:57 PM

2m orisis

has anyone heard how they are doing on the orisis 2m pattern plane? I do not andrew said empatically that he would not put it out unless it was right. Which is very refreshing these days.

jetmech43 10-20-2012 04:23 AM

RE: 2m orisis

I havent heard any thing, its kinda been pushed under the rug it seems.

danamania 10-20-2012 05:28 AM

One wonders if that project has gone by the wayside, what with AJ flying his new Proteus at this year's Nats?  While not specific to any 2m Osiris, I have heard that it is very difficult for the factories in Asia to source enough contest quality balsa woods for sizable production runs of an ARF.  This may have nothing to do with the prospects of a 2m Osiris coming to market, but it seems to be a factor for any new 2m model that will sell for less than $1k or so? Just a thought.

Zeeb 10-20-2012 07:48 AM

I "think" I saw one of the "Osiris" 2M prototypes out at the field the other day. Maybe when Andrew gets done with IMAC Shootout in Tucson this weekend, you'll get some more information... ;)

F.Imbriaco 10-20-2012 05:02 PM

The Chinese actually own many of the balsa producing "farms" in Central and South America

Typically, ARF manufacturing operations in China do not hand pick wood because it is time consuming and too much is wasted.

Unfortunately, the wood selection is not always dictated by the structural requirements of a particular airframe component /area.

But, I guess we're fortunate to have them around because costs are held down and some folks can't or won't build.

balsafactory 11-26-2012 10:45 PM

Our balsa is really very good .

www.balsafactory.com

Jon Wold 11-27-2012 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: F.Imbriaco

The Chinese actually own many of the balsa producing ''farms'' in Central and South America

Typically, ARF manufacturing operations in China do not hand pick wood because it is time consuming and too much is wasted.

Unfortunately, the wood selection is not always dictated by the structural requirements of a particular airframe component /area.

But, I guess we're fortunate to have them around because costs are held down and some folks can't or won't build.
With respect, are these assumptions or fact? What "typical ARF manufacturing operation" in China are you familiar with?

guille2006 11-27-2012 12:50 AM

..deleted...

MTK 11-27-2012 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Jon Wold

With respect, are these assumptions or fact? What "typical ARF manufacturing operation" in China are you familiar with?

I am familiar only withproducts that Extreme Flight has been getting built in China. I've had an Extra 78" and most recently a Vanquish 2 meter. Both of these models are lighter than most for their size. Balsa selection looked pretty good to me in most areas.

That has as much to do with EF pushing for goodmaterials as it does with the factory choices! One man's experience.....

stuntflyr 11-27-2012 07:02 PM

Same with me and 3DHS. Excellent wood selection and precision construction.
Chris...