RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Question about Stall Turn, Quarter Roll Up and Down (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/11604116-question-about-stall-turn-quarter-roll-up-down.html)

learn2turn 09-15-2014 12:24 PM

Question about Stall Turn, Quarter Roll Up and Down

Even though I only fly Sportsman (and can barely fly it at that), I like to when I'm flying just for run try the intermediate maneuver Stall Turn, Quarter Roll Up and Down.

I have one question about it that I can't glean from the description document -- http://nsrca.us/images/stories/curre...scriptions.pdf

Does it make any difference which way you do the stall turn? Is it pilots choice? The doc just say to do a 180 stall turn the downward leg. Can I stall turn left or right, back toward the direction I came from before the upward leg or in the other direction, based on what I feel is easier / will look better?

-l2t aka Ken

Kevin Duncan 09-15-2014 12:36 PM

The Stall Turn in this instance is an "upwind" maneuver and typically you want to stall INTO the wind. Therefore, you'll be turning in the direction that you entered the maneuver. It's always easier stalling into the wind.

If the wind changes 180 degrees since you took off, I suppose you would want to stall the other direction, and nothing in the description indicates that this would be a downgrade.

big_G 09-16-2014 09:33 AM

You CAN do it either way, but if you do the stall turn into the wind, you will find it easier to return along the vertical entry line easier...on center.

P.S. Ken, I have moved up to Intermediate. My first contest in this class is this weekend. No pressure...ha!

n233w 09-16-2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 11881683)
You CAN do it either way, but if you do the stall turn into the wind, you will find it easier to return along the vertical entry line easier...on center.

...because when you're going up on the vertical you are crabbing into the wind already, and reduces the number of degrees to reverse course. If you stall away from the wind, you will find your plane blown downwind and your downline will not be on center, plus the turn will more than 1.5 wingspan, resulting, I believe, in a major downgrade.

I'm sure you've already noticed how much easier it is to do a stall turn into the wind as opposed to when the air is calm... stalling away from the wind is doubly hard...

learn2turn 09-16-2014 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by n233w (Post 11881808)
I'm sure you've already noticed how much easier it is to do a stall turn into the wind as opposed to when the air is calm... stalling away from the wind is doubly hard...

All that stuff about into the wind makes perfect sense.

Now an observation about my flying. I believe most of the time I stall turn to the left regardless of wind. So on my turnarounds, it's away from the flight line on the left end of the field and toward the flight line on the right. I'm thinking maybe my plane naturally starts to drift left when I give hit full throttle and up elevator into the up line.

-Ken

bjr_93tz 09-16-2014 07:31 PM

Into the wind tends to present better.

If your plane stalls naturally easier one way than the other (and you don't want to mess with trimming) then do the 1/4 roll so you're looking at either the top or bottom of your plane so you can stall turn into the wind in the direction your plane naturally wants to go. Sometimes you're stuck with the roll requirements which way your planes ends up but in a simple 1/4 roll up and down then you can decide whether you want to look at the top or bottom of your plane for the stall turn thereby always stalling into the wind and to the (plane's) left.

Sure it's a cheat to avoid some trimming, but you'll need to learn to fly an upline (and the odd stall turn) looking at the bottom of your plane one day :)

desertrider49 09-16-2014 08:05 PM

You may want to look into "hitting full throttle and elevator into the upline". My upline is only two or three clicks of additional throttle. If you are racing around like Speed Racer you are not doing yourself any favors. Someone told me to slow down, I was sure the plane would simply fall out of the sky, but it didn't and I'm flying a lot better. If you have someone to watch you fly, try to get their opinion on that subject.

Most of all, have FUN...

Scar 09-17-2014 08:37 AM

Of course, all this will take place in a crosswind.

Do enjoy! :)

Dave Olson

n233w 09-22-2014 02:18 PM

I don't want to start any issues here, but there are some who say that spiral slipstream will cause a plane to pull left on an upline, especially if speed decays while power stays in, which requires right rudder. This would be in addition to P-factor which necessitates R rudder during the pull to vertical.

griff7166 10-16-2014 06:04 PM

I have found out over time that you will learn how your plane behaves in different conditions, I personally use this maneuver to reposition my self in the box either in or out also watch the plane if you have a head wind it will blow you back in the middle of the box, and that blows your next maneuver the 2 rolls. I tend to not pull all the way vertical. Because you have to remember that you are graded on the line not the attitude of the plane. If you watch Jason or Andrew fly the plane will be flying sideways but their line will be straight.