RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Vehicle for hauling Pattern Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/11660036-vehicle-hauling-pattern-planes.html)

andydallas 01-29-2019 06:11 PM

Vehicle for hauling Pattern Planes

i have been using an old Honda Odyssey to take planes to and from the field (middle seats removed, back seats put down).

it is probable time to think about replacing it and started looking around. I have heard people mention Toyota 4Runners AMD Highlandera, however I looked at a used 4 Runner and I don’t see how in the world you could get a pattern plane to fit

what are people using to haul pattern planes, I prefer not to use a trailer because with an enclosed vehicle I could take a plane to work in the summer and go straight to practice

andy

rm 01-29-2019 06:32 PM

I just bought a traverse. Fits behind the front seats.

kenh3497 01-29-2019 07:34 PM

I would think any of the mini vans would have more than enough room with the rear seats removed. If you just want a "beater" they are available for not a lot of money used.

Ken

andydallas 01-30-2019 03:04 AM

Ken,

I have a beater mini van now and want to upgrade. My idea was to buy an SUV which I would drive more often, I just thought something like a 4Runner or Pathfinder etc would be large enough, I thought some people had mentioned using something that size, I just don't see them being big enough but was hoping I was wrong

big_G 01-30-2019 07:31 AM

Can't beat a Suburban for hauling pattern planes. On contest day, I take two 2 meter pattern planes and all associated gear like a pop up, cooler, tent, table, chair, etc. In a pinch, I can fit 3.

Zeeb 01-30-2019 09:54 AM

You can transport one model in a bunch of vehicles by stowing the second row seats, move the right seat forward and tilt the back of the seat reward. That's where the tail will go and I've done it with a Jeep Cherokee, VW Touareg and now a Ford Explorer. A Suburban or Expedition would be nice but they're just too damn big for my tastes and garages where the Explorer fits the garages better, is easier to handle in traffic and parking. It's probably the best of the vehicles I've used to haul models.

bjr_93tz 01-30-2019 02:23 PM

I feel your pain. I drive this 35yo clunker and have about 2.35m (~7foot 8 inches) from the back of the front seats (rear seats fold flat too) to the lift gate and was very surprised and disappointed with what my options to replace it with something new were so I still haven't made the change.

Great all round visibility too with 360 degree glass...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f50cfdcda0.jpg

apereira 01-30-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by andydallas (Post 12498305)
i have been using an old Honda Odyssey to take planes to and from the field (middle seats removed, back seats put down).

it is probable time to think about replacing it and started looking around. I have heard people mention Toyota 4Runners AMD Highlandera, however I looked at a used 4 Runner and I don’t see how in the world you could get a pattern plane to fit

what are people using to haul pattern planes, I prefer not to use a trailer because with an enclosed vehicle I could take a plane to work in the summer and go straight to practice

andy

I rented a Dodge Durango for the 2011 WC and my planes fitted perfectly there, loved it.

Regards

speedracerntrixie 01-30-2019 05:50 PM

I will second the vote on a Suburban or Tahoe. They are cheap if buying used, don't cost a lot to insure and maintenance is inexpensive except if you need to replace a transmission. Only real downside is the mileage however if you figure total operating costs for a year they make good sense. Not to mention if you travel to a contest and find yourself without a hotel they are pretty comfortable to sleep in.

lasers200 01-31-2019 07:34 AM

I have a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I can carry two pattern planes or one with a passenger. Looks for a 2010 and up. Very cheap and reliable. 25mpg
I tried the "Chevy's" for years but they stayed in the shop

andydallas 01-31-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by lasers200 (Post 12498741)
I have a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I can carry two pattern planes or one with a passenger. Looks for a 2010 and up. Very cheap and reliable. 25mpg
I tried the "Chevy's" for years but they stayed in the shop

I don't want to sound dumb, but how are you putting the one plane in, and what are you taking off the plane. I don't see getting one in a highlander without pushing the passenger front seat to the front and tilted back.

thanks for the help!

flyintexan 01-31-2019 12:33 PM

Art Wagner in North Dallas drives a highlander (90% sure) and he goes nose in first which puts spinner/prop next to driver's shoulder. With a BJ Invitation fuse goes in upside down and I think he has a styrofoam cradle for area just behind nose section to support it....probably a piece of pipe insulation goes under the top of the rudder too...

-mark

lasers200 01-31-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by andydallas (Post 12498752)
I don't want to sound dumb, but how are you putting the one plane in, and what are you taking off the plane. I don't see getting one in a highlander without pushing the passenger front seat to the front and tilted back.

thanks for the help!

Move the front passenger seat all the way up. Or do it as the other poster side. In the middle. The right cradle is key

Mike Cohen 01-31-2019 05:00 PM

Ford Flex will carry two pattern planes

Smooth Pilot 02-02-2019 08:14 AM

The Chrysler Pacifica and the equivalent Dodge van with the rear drop down seating are probably the best. Earl Haury has one with an aluminum frame that holds two pattern planes with a bunch of room underneath for tool boxes, battery case, canopy, ice chests, and baggage. I am thinking of replacing my aging Durango with one later.

Zeeb 02-02-2019 01:31 PM

The OP says he wants an SUV....

OhD 02-07-2019 04:17 PM

Ford Explorer. Not too big to get around in the garage like my old Suburban and fun to drive (twin turbo and paddle shifters).

Jim O

Anthony-RCU 02-08-2019 09:39 AM

As uncool as they are minivans are made to hauls stuff comfortably and provide good handling and mileage. Lots of space and big doors are perfect for our use. Don't have kids and have been driving a minivans since 2002. Toyota and Honda variants usually provide excellent service and lowest cost of ownership for long term. My current Sienna just passed 192k miles.

rcprecision 02-08-2019 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Anthony-RCU;12500964]minivans are made to hauls stuff comfortably and provide good handling and mileage. Lots of space and big doors are perfect for our use.[/QUOTE

+1 on Mini Vans.

Here's my 2008 Honda (base model) outfitted with a DIY rack made of PVC which can carry 2 2-meter fuselages secured off the floor leaving ample room for support equipment and luggage below. This vehicle has made several trips from Houston to Muncie in addition to a multitude of regional contest in D6. Has proven to be reliable comfortable with low operating cost. How many vehicles can you travel at 75mph transporting your pattern stuff an average 25mpg?

It's amazing how I can pass a trooper traveling over the speed limit and not get pulled over in the van. Different results when I do the same thing in my 370Z....go figure

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...9cc18a92a0.jpghttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...1c0f495ee8.jpg

Stuart Chale 02-10-2019 03:27 PM

Another non mini van, the Honda Pilot. 1 pattern plane and canopy etc with 2 people or 2 planes 2 people but no canopy :)

Pylonracr 02-10-2019 08:42 PM

An SUV, get a lamborghini LM002. Not exactly budget friendly to most, but you will be the only one at the field with one.....

Scott

bentwings 02-11-2019 05:44 AM

Lots of people buy expensive SUV then take a bath in depreciation.

For many years i had various station wagons. Going all the way back to my 1965/Pontiac Grand Safari 9 passenger. Today I have a 94 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagon. It’s only got 100k on it and seeing it’s first winter. These cars go for about 3-5k. You can haul a pile of 4x8 sheets in the back and close the tail gate. Oh yes the tail gate opens down or side ways. Add snow tires and 3-400 pounds under the rear seat and you can go anywhere reasonably. 20 mpg. These cars are EFI so start instantly.

The Chevy is not quite as fancy but about a grand cheaper. Drive these cars for a few years and sell them for nearly what you have in them or just scrap it. It’s cheaper than new cars.

lasers200 02-11-2019 08:06 AM

I like my Toyota Highlander but my next one will be a Toyota van. For the above reasons. But it will be a Toyota. pay more now and stay out the shop

R3d Ryd3r 02-11-2019 11:46 AM

I use a 2013 Ford CMAX, and a trailer. I use the CMAX everyday for my 60 mile commute, and then can hook up to the trailer for going to contests. Best of both worlds, 40mpg when commuting, and 35mpg for hauling planes, chairs, canopy, and 4 people ;-)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...61a10e2da4.jpg

the cmax and the trailer, cant be beat!

computermonkey 02-13-2019 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bjr_93tz (Post 12498547)
I feel your pain. I drive this 35yo clunker and have about 2.35m (~7foot 8 inches) from the back of the front seats (rear seats fold flat too) to the lift gate and was very surprised and disappointed with what my options to replace it with something new were so I still haven't made the change.

Great all round visibility too with 360 degree glass...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f50cfdcda0.jpg

Is that a VW Dasher wagon? I have a 1975 that I swapped out the 1.5 diesel to a 1.6 tubro diesel and changed the 4 speed to a 5 speed over drive. Drove this for six years until I got some water in the fuel form a 7 11. Just haven't had the energy to get it running again.

I was able to fit a Sig Rascal 110 and another 60 size plane in it.