RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/1431697-focus-ii-arf-construction-numbers.html)

Don Szczur 02-05-2004 11:35 PM

RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

Fuel tank was mounted the following way:

Cut two pieces of 1/4 by 1/2 stock, made them really tight on the fuselage sides (so the buldge out some and take out some of the gap that exists between the wing and fuselage in the mid- wing area).

Took a 6 inch ruler, held it against the wing tube/bulkhead for proper alignment (so the ruler lays down flat on all that) and then CA'd them in place. I put the front one in approximately 1 1/2 inch in front of the wing tube, and the other one about 1 1/2 inch behind the wing tube, running parrallell to the wing tube. Some doublers where they meet the fuselage helps make sure they stay in place. Dubro 20 oz tank fits in nicely.

Now, what I'll do is take a couple pieces of small diameter fuel tubing, tie it around the cross pieces at either side, and then slip the fuel tank underneath the fuel tube, stretching them out quite a bit. System is easy to install and has worked well on my other FOCUS.

Don Szczur 02-05-2004 11:53 PM

By the way, I mounted the servos underneath because the elevator CF rod is just long enough to do this, but putting in the front section under the canopy would require a longer CF rod or using steel 4x40 rod rather than the neat Central Hobbies titanium end that is supplied with the kit. I decided to build per plans, with the servos in the back bay accessible from underside. Great picture in the instructions.

Wheel pants and LG legs.

I tried a few differnent techniques. Is it me or is it hard to mount landing gear after the blind nuts are installed. Had the same problem on my 40% Extra. Anyhow, use my experience (I started to come down the learing curve after doing the first side) with the following steps:

Slip the gear leg in and mark, as accurately as possible, where you think the outside screw (hard to get one) will be (you can make a small mark on the block next to the LG leg and eye-ball it from there). Drill the hole, put the screw in, and then do the same for the center one. Its easier to eye-ball the center one and get a more accurate hole drilled the first time (without haveing to file-out the hole to get the screw to line up with the blind nut)

Advice- don't force the screw if the hole is not perfectly aligned, file the hole and wallow it out some to get it to thread in by hand. Its tempting to get "close enough" only to strip out the blind nut (something I did a couple times on my 40% bird).

I had also tried to mark it from the other side (thru the blind nut) but the mark was off quite a bit. Eye-balls are much more accurate.

Wheel Pants.

I put a piece of 1/32 by 1 1/2 by 3 inch inside the wheel pant to stiffen it quite a bit. It helps when the kids are always stepping on the wheel pants at the field... Then took two pieces of 5/8 wide by 1 inch long pieces of 1/8 ply and ran them front to back about 1/2 inch down from the lip of the wheel pants. Next I cut a 1/4 inch slot where the wheel pant slips over the axle (lock nut) and then drilled two 1/8 holes for the retaining screws/ blind nuts. Drilled thru the gear legs first, about 1/4 up from the axle, on either side of the axle. Then position the wheel pants and drill thru them to install the blind nuts. I like two of the 4x40 rather than a single 6x32 to give extra security if one becomes loose (the wheel pant will not rotate).

Cheers,
Don

Eric.Henderson 02-06-2004 03:11 PM

RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers - canopy

Two birds with one stone.

In a couple of the posts I saw an issue with the tank being too high due to the wing tube, Also the top deck was bowed. I had both of these problems.

I need a 20 oz tank for the bigger motors. I swap between pumped and FI motors so the tank needs to be pressurized sometimes. (For me it’s an MK.)

To fix the bowing I had already planned to use four bolts to hold on the deck/canopy. This alone fixes the bowing, especially if you fit the canopy with the deck bolted in place.

To fix the space issue I cut out a chunk of the canopy/deck floor leaving a 3/8” edge. Then used 3/8” square strip to reinforce the edges. The hole is then covered with 1/16” sheet. No weight gain and now the deck is much stiffer and not bowed. I left the front tongue in place to keep the front down.

Pictures attached.

Eric.Henderson 02-06-2004 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying again to attach

Eric.Henderson 02-06-2004 03:26 PM

RC car paints have a window tint that works well if sprayed inside the canopies that don't take dye.

Pro pattern 02-06-2004 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

Now that Eric. Henderson has brought-up the subject ( kind of ) I would like to
know if the canopies will take the dye or, do I have to use the method
of spry- paint a window tint???

See attachment for how the end resold should like.

Thanks, in advance for the info

Jeff-RCU 02-09-2004 10:08 AM

I tried and it won't take dye.

Eric.Henderson 02-09-2004 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A sample of car window tint.

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Temptation. I will be doing this to my Focus II also.

It is Lexan car paint Candy Blue.

Mike

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 06:17 PM

Hello Mike Hill,

Thanks for the info, but where could I get one of those spray window tint?:eek:
Could I get the window tint at any body repair shop ??[:o]

Again thanks for the info,

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 06:22 PM

And also how do you make it like the pic “see through” ??

Eric.Henderson 02-09-2004 06:51 PM

RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF Canopy tinting.

With RC Car window tint you spray fine coats inside the canopy. Check for darkness after each one and stop when dark enough.

With a spray gun. You use clear-coat with a drop or two of the desired color. Then spray as above. (It is wise to mask the outside of the canopy with a clear plastic bag - you need to be able to see the results)

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 07:03 PM

RE: RE: RE: FOCUS II ARF construction by-the-numbers

Pro Pattern,
With the candy colors you would have to spray another color behind the the candy color to make it not see through.

Any hobby shop should have the rc car paint. If you make it black like Eric you use the window tint. Which is made by the same people that make the candy blue I used.

Mike

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 07:18 PM

I live in Aruba, and I’ll have to order the RC car window tint, and now wonder if that is the only way to do this?

And if so where, “an website” could I find these RC car window tint.
I would like to use the candy blue.

Thanks,

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 07:38 PM

Pro Pattern,
The company Pactra. Racing Finish It bonds to lexan and polycarbonate model car bodies.

Mike

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 07:46 PM

Original Mike Hill

Pro Pattern,
With the candy colors you would have to spray another color behind the the candy color to make it not see through.
Could you explain this to me.
I’m new to this.

I been doing some search and wonder the following:
Ass you sad to me if I use candy blue I’ll have to spray an other color behind
This to make it see trough, and I find out the following at [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/]Tower hobbies.[/link]
Pactra Polycarb 3 oz. True Blue Pearl [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY43&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY43&P=0[/link]
That is the color.

And to make it see through I’ll have to use the following ;
Pactra Polycarb 3 oz. Window Tint [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY44&P=7]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY44&P=7[/link]

Is this what i need to do this??

Thanks for the info,

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 08:01 PM

Pro Pattern,
The candy colors are see through. If you were to spray a color behind them it would not be see through.
All the Pactra paints are to be sprayed on the inside of the lexan part.

The blue is Candy Blue. Not the The True Blue Pearl you have found at Tower Hobbies.

The window tint is what Eric H used.

Mike

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 08:15 PM

So this is what I'll need to make my canopy tint as yours??:eek:
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCY26&P=7]Pactra Polycarb 3 oz. Candy Blue[/link]

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 08:17 PM

Yeah that is the stuff.

Mike

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 08:20 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info.

Ps nice plane.

Danny

Pro pattern 02-09-2004 08:22 PM

And also do I need to clear coat this?

Mike Hill 02-09-2004 08:24 PM

No just spray it on the inside.

Mike

Troy Newman 02-09-2004 09:07 PM

Mike,

"Any hobby shop should have the rc car paint. If you make it black like Eric you use the window tint. Which is made by the same people that make the candy blue I used. "

Nice Tint job!

I also must say that the paint job looks good too!

Hehehehehe

TN

Eric.Henderson 02-11-2004 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting around to the stab. It is always a little annoying when you have to glue in a pre-covered stab. With an FG fuselage you can often get inside and apply some epoxy with a brush.

The FOCUS-II allows you an interesting option. You can cut some holes in the flat area where the fin goes. This lets you paint in some epoxy, at least on the top edges.

It also gives you great access and a visual right where the pull-pull cables exit.

Pro pattern 02-12-2004 09:05 PM

Hello everyone,

Today, “a couple of minutes a go “ I have pick-up my covered FOCUS II, this was
done by a good friend of my (pattern freak) Gregory Winklaar, I’ll have to say he
did an excellent job.

So now the work of assembly begins for me.
I will post some pic tomorrow for you all to see.

Danny Koolman,