RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   90 size pattern plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/228631-90-size-pattern-plane.html)

tmproff 08-12-2002 05:18 PM

90 size pattern plane

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I just finished up my Seduction freestyle of which I have fallen in love with. I love the sleek design and the Pattern type performance. Now! I am looking to build a bigger one! I am looking at www.bridiradiocontrol.com and seeing some really nice (and well priced) pattern type planes. I have tried in the past for someone to explain the differences between these planes and have come up short. Can someone describe the XLT, Great Escape, and the one I'm really interested in is the Sun Fli 5 found here:
http://www.bridiradiocontrol.com/acb..._ID=12&CATID=5

I want a kit, not an ARF. If you have any recommendations please help me out!

I cant help it, here's my Seduction Freestyle:

robert 08-12-2002 06:55 PM

90 size pattern plane

You might want to look at znlines new Synergy 3D 90 size too.

rickwallace45 08-12-2002 07:27 PM

90 size pattern plane

The XLT and Great Escape are kinda-larger descendents of the Dirty Birdy line.
XLT wing is considerably larger than the Great Escape - see the chart below (data from bridiradiocontrol.com)
Good fliers and very competitive for their time (got beaten regularly by an XLT...). Haven't seen either one in person since the 80's.

The Bridi website gives details on wingspan, area, etc.
Set up for rear exhaust .60's - tuned pipe ran thru the 'canopy' on top of the fuse.

I *think* they're wood fuse / and foam wing.

The Sun Fli V is an excellent member of the Bridi Kaos family. Some have flown successfully in the past year or so in Sportsman / Intermediate pattern in NSRCA District 1

-it's all wood. Set up for side exhaust engine.

With an OS .91FX (mounted inverted) and fixed gear, and monokote I believe they come out under 7 kbs, and KNOW they do very nicely.

.................................Grt Esc...........XLT.....................Sun Fli V
Wing Span :..............64.5...............65"............. ........65.5"
Length :....................68 "...............65".....................Not Given
Wing Area : ..............777 sq in.......845 sq in ...........699 sq in
Engine : 10 c.c. 90, or 120 four stroke same .50-.60(2 c) .60-90 (4c)

tmproff 08-12-2002 11:52 PM

90 size pattern plane

Thank you very much Rick for the info. I think I'm set on the Sun Fli 5...it looks great.

basmntdweller 08-13-2002 12:51 AM

90 size pattern plane

Not to burst your bubble, but I heard Joe quit the kit business early this year and has sold most if not all of his kits. I picked up an XLT last year for a YS 61 RE that I had but haven't gotten around to building it yet. Be forewarned, his kits are what I'd call builders kits. Many solid blocks to carve, no built in alignment slots and tabs etc. The balsa however is hand selected for it's intended use and is first quality. If built straight and light you will be rewarded with a very precise and straight flying airplane. I had several of his Deceptions back in the 80's and they were great planes as well. If you can find one I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
Good luck,,,basmntdweller

tmproff 08-13-2002 01:59 AM

90 size pattern plane

He does indeed have some kits left, and intend to purchase one before he runs out :)

rcprecision 08-13-2002 01:34 PM

Widebody 60/90

Here is one to consider. Fresh design in tune with current pattern aircraft trends of wide body fuselages with fixed gear. One could enlarge the aileron and elevator areas to create a half bread pattern-3D capable flying machine at a moderate cost. The US distributor Planes Plus has the basic kits in stock. Selling price is $200.00.

Follow the link below to CA models, the upper right mfg on their home page, then access the basic kit button under Widebody 60/90 for details.

http://www.camodel.com.ar/planesplus.htm

Glen
http://www.geocities.com/rcprecision/pah.html

tmproff 08-13-2002 01:56 PM

90 size pattern plane

Wow, I really like the look of the Widebody 60/90. Do you know anyone that is flying this model? The Sun Fli 5 is $75, and that's hard to beat.

snsmith 08-13-2002 02:23 PM

90 size pattern plane

I'm in the middle of building one, and I have to say despite the poor included instructions, it's one of the best kits I've built. The online instructions are far better and have pictures to help with the less-clear steps, but there are no plans. The wood fit is nearly flawless and of excellent quality (contest grade balsa and 5mm lite-ply). I finished framing the fuse and it's just under a pound...not bad for a 90-size wood fuse.

The only thing that bothers me is the sheeted foam cores don't appear to be reinforced and the sheeting is really thin in some spots. For peace of mind, I'm going to put a couple of strips of carbon fiber on the outside of the sheeting (in shallow grooves to remain flush).

tmproff 08-13-2002 02:59 PM

90 size pattern plane

can you post a link to the online instructions? I'd love to look through them....

Furyflyer2 08-13-2002 03:09 PM

Re: Widebody 60/90

Originally posted by ghwatson
Here is one to consider. Fresh design in tune with current pattern aircraft trends of wide body fuselages with fixed gear. One could enlarge the aileron and elevator areas to create a half bread pattern-3D capable flying machine at a moderate cost. The US distributor Planes Plus has the basic kits in stock. Selling price is $200.00.

Follow the link below to CA models, the upper right mfg on their home page, then access the basic kit button under Widebody 60/90 for details.

http://www.camodel.com.ar/planesplus.htm

Glen
http://www.geocities.com/rcprecision/pah.html

Do you know how much the RTC is ?

rcprecision 08-13-2002 03:10 PM

Apples to Oranges Comparison

Price is relative to what you seek. A sunfli 5 does not compare performance wise to modern designs like the Widebody, Seduction and others. I built, flew and sold a Sunfli 4 just recently. The sunfli was a fine flying plane back in it's day when compared to other designs of that era. An era of non computer radios, before high torque digital servos, powered by two stoke motors with light pitched props.

Unless I was feeling nostalgic, I would want to experience todays available technology, engine, radio, servos, in an airframe that yields the highest performance potential.

Choose what fits your needs the best. Here in the Houston area there should be two-three Widebodys flying early fall.

By the way if you are interested in pattern type aircraft, then you should consider attending the Barnstomer club's pattern meet August 24th and 25th. They are located between Conroe and Huntsville.

Glen

Pugsley-RCU 08-13-2002 03:25 PM

I'm building a Widebody....

I love it.....

Let's put it this way....I was building a Seduction and a Widebody.....I sold the Seduction (a motor played into the decision as well.....) The Widebody is an awesome kit.....

Pug

tmproff 08-13-2002 03:29 PM

90 size pattern plane

Well if you sold the Seduction, it must be a nice plane. I thought that building the Seduction was a breeze. What engine are you putting int it, and what servos?

Furyflyer2 08-13-2002 03:36 PM

90 size pattern plane

Where can I get the Seduction ?

snsmith 08-13-2002 03:38 PM

90 size pattern plane

Very interesting Pugsley...I was toying with the idea of getting a Seduction 90 as well, but I thought the planes were too similar in size and design. I'll stick with the Widebody. I finally got around to starting mine last weekend and am about half finished already...builds fast.

tmproff, a link to the online manual:

http://www.marcelocolombo.com.ar/wid...lnuevo1ing.htm

I'm putting a YS FZ91 on it with JR digital servos on the ailerons and elevator (some mix of 8231, 9411 and 8417) and a Futaba 9402 on the rudder. The problem I'm working on is the elevator linkage...I want to find a good way to do pull-pull on the split elevator with a single servo (otherwise I'll use an MK bellcrank).

tmproff 08-13-2002 03:39 PM

90 size pattern plane

Fury Flyer, you can order one from Singapore Hobbies.

Just email them at : [email protected]
then say you are interested in the Seduction Freestyle (make sure to order the 220cc gas tank that fits it)
Give them your CC info, and it'll be on your doorstep in about 10-14 days. Total price on mine was around $150

VERY EASY BUILD!!!!

tmproff 08-13-2002 03:48 PM

90 size pattern plane

Wow, building the widebody is almost identical to building the Seduction....very similar design.

Pugsley-RCU 08-13-2002 04:27 PM

Saito 100.................

and plan on using 9202's around.....

Should be a good one.....looks like a Little Excellence....

Pug

robert 08-13-2002 05:14 PM

90 size pattern plane

Or you could use the new YS 110, that is a bored out 91 I believe.

JasonS 08-14-2002 02:49 PM

90 size pattern plane

How much does the Widebody kit sell for?

tmproff 08-14-2002 02:50 PM

90 size pattern plane

looks like right at $200 (which is quite a bit for a kit IMO) My GP Super Skybolt (which is similar in size/weight) was around $150

Pugsley-RCU 08-14-2002 03:21 PM

Okay.....

You paid $140 for a .40 sized plane....I think $60 more is about right for a .90....

tmproff 08-14-2002 03:37 PM

I want Pattern, not 3d

Yeah, I'm sure it's worth it...I just have to convince myself that...... I've never paid that much for a kit. (ARF's yes). Now I understand that a lot of the newer planes are designed for 3d, but would the Sun Fli 5 satisfy my need for precise aerobatics and speed? I have my Seduction Freestyle for my balls to the wall 3d stunts.

tmproff 08-14-2002 03:53 PM

90 size pattern plane

I want a kit, not an ARF. If you have any recommendations please help me out!
Ouch, the new Synergy 90 is $500 (and an ARF) It sure does look nice tho :)