RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   World Models Spot-On 120 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/5830390-world-models-spot-120-a.html)

riot3d 05-08-2007 11:33 PM

World Models Spot-On 120
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ever since I sold the Groovy 90 3A to a fellow club member after my initial test flight, I had been contemplating on getting another one for a more thorough testing. However, after a short discussion with my good friend Fai Chan - one of the owners of World/ Airborne Models - he convinced me to try one of their latest pattern offering - the Spot-On 120. The plane came in two different sizes, the 50 and the 120 size which retailed for $399.99. However, if you are a current NSRCA member, Fai will extend a 10% discount to you. Since I have a refurbished YS 140L sitting on the shelf, the 120 was an easy decision.

The construction of the Spot-On is almost identical to the Groovy - an all wood design with most of the surfaces including the trim pieces covered with World's very own "ToughLon" coverings, including the belly pan. The exceptions are the top cowling and the bottom chin cowl, which were both painted. I was having some problem on the Groovy with the trim pieces peeling off before assembly, but found the Spot-On a much better finishing.

Similar to the Groovy, the Spot-On came well equipped with the following accessories - spinner, fuel tank, aluminum stab/ adjuster tubes, carbon fiber gear, wheel pants and wheels, push rods for all moving surfaces, horns, clevises, an assortment of screws and their very own anti-vibration engine mount. The wing is a one piece design, therefore, no wing tube required.

Since I have had prior experience on building the Zen III and the Groovy 90 3A, I think the Spot-On 120 will be finished in no time. Of course, procrastination is always a big obstacle. Stay tuned ...

Adrian


riot3d 05-09-2007 12:19 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
1 Attachment(s)
More pix:-

rainedave 05-09-2007 12:36 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
May I ask where you got the blue cradle?

Thanks,
David

Derek.Koopowitz 05-09-2007 12:49 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Airborne Models... blue color. It says "plastic" but it is made out of foam.

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...sp?AGroupID=15

rainedave 05-09-2007 12:51 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Thanks, Derek.

The Spot-On looks real nice. I wonder if Mr. Chan is the same gentleman that worked with the SPA in developing the new Intruder?

blackshark3 05-09-2007 10:45 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Hey Adrian,

You should be busy practicing with your Proline, not with a Spot On....:D

If you are going to fly that plane, better use a pair of Bolly gears from Alex.

Regards,

Jason

riot3d 05-09-2007 11:34 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: blackshark3

Hey Adrian,

You should be busy practicing with your Proline, not with a Spot On....:D

If you are going to fly that plane, better use a pair of Bolly gears from Alex.

Regards,

Jason


Hi Jason,

How are you?

I havn't test the Proline yet, probably within the next two weeks. Actually, those carbon gear from Worlds are pretty good. I'm using a pair on my Astral, it has more than 200 flights without any problem.

Adrian

jayjayneri 05-09-2007 01:44 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Hi Jason,

Thanks alot for all your hospitality while I was in HK. How's your Oxalys coming along? Have you got it perfectly trimmed yet?


Hi Adrian,

Please keep us posted on the Spot-On. A couple of guys over here are thinking of getting one and want to know how it flies. I agree with Jason. You should be practing with your Proline. Hehehe!


Jayjay

tande 05-09-2007 03:26 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Quote:

The wing is a one piece design, therefore, no wing tube required.
Adrian, if I may---"Airbone Models" on their web/site says "Plug-in rib wings" & a phone call confirmed this (two-piece wing with tube mt.)---can you clear this up please?---

Thanks
Ed

woodie 05-09-2007 04:04 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: tande

Quote:

The wing is a one piece design, therefore, no wing tube required.
Adrian, if I may---"Airbone Models" on their web/site says "Plug-in rib wings" & a phone call confirmed this (two-piece wing with tube mt.)---can you clear this up please?---

Thanks
Ed
Ed, if you examine the pictures Adrian posted in first message here, it shows a fuselage with the wing saddle showing as well as the 2 wing halves which I assume need to be joined at the center section. Looks like it ends up being a one piece wing after assembly.

Woodie

Derek.Koopowitz 05-09-2007 04:10 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: tande

Quote:

The wing is a one piece design, therefore, no wing tube required.
Adrian, if I may---"Airbone Models" on their web/site says "Plug-in rib wings" & a phone call confirmed this (two-piece wing with tube mt.)---can you clear this up please?---

Thanks
Ed
From the pics of the fuselage it looks like a one piece wing - but looking over the other pics it looks like a 2 piece wing - perhaps they are joined with a wing tube and mounted like a one piece wing?

riot3d 05-09-2007 05:14 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jayjayneri

Hi Adrian,

Please keep us posted on the Spot-On. A couple of guys over here are thinking of getting one and want to know how it flies. I agree with Jason. You should be practing with your Proline. Hehehe!


Jayjay

Hi Jay Jay,

How are you? I'll keep posting pix.

Is Jason still using that T-wing? That's the reason : -)

Adrian



riot3d 05-09-2007 05:19 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: woodie


Quote:

ORIGINAL: tande

Quote:

The wing is a one piece design, therefore, no wing tube required.
Adrian, if I may---"Airbone Models" on their web/site says "Plug-in rib wings" & a phone call confirmed this (two-piece wing with tube mt.)---can you clear this up please?---

Thanks
Ed
Ed, if you examine the pictures Adrian posted in first message here, it shows a fuselage with the wing saddle showing as well as the 2 wing halves which I assume need to be joined at the center section. Looks like it ends up being a one piece wing after assembly.

Woodie


Wow Woodie, You're the man.

That's right. It has a wing joiner, and you need to glue the two wing halves together to make it a one piece wing. See pix below:-




tande 05-09-2007 09:06 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Thanks Guys! & Thank You Adrian for the pics.!---Now I understand---

Ed

mmattockx 05-09-2007 11:30 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: riot3d

Wow Woodie, You're the man.

That's right. It has a wing joiner, and you need to glue the two wing halves together to make it a one piece wing. See pix below:-

With that setup I can't see a good reason to actually glue the wing halves together, unless you like transport problems and hangar rash from storing a big one piece wing.


Mark

riot3d 05-09-2007 11:57 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: mmattockx


Quote:

ORIGINAL: riot3d

Wow Woodie, You're the man.

That's right. It has a wing joiner, and you need to glue the two wing halves together to make it a one piece wing. See pix below:-

With that setup I can't see a good reason to actually glue the wing halves together, unless you like transport problems and hangar rash from storing a big one piece wing.


Mark
I have been flying my Astral with a one piece wing without any transportation problem. Besides, I don't see how you can fly a one piece wing design without gluing them together. As a matter of fact, the World's instruction manual specified that if wing halves were not properly joined and glued, failure in flight may occur.

As for hangar rash, a simple wing cover will solve the problem.

mmattockx 05-10-2007 12:32 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: riot3d

I have been flying my Astral with a one piece wing without any transportation problem. Besides, I don't see how you can fly a one piece wing design without gluing them together. As a matter of fact, the World's instruction manual specified that if wing halves were not properly joined and glued, failure in flight may occur.

As for hangar rash, a simple wing cover will solve the problem.
Your choice. Gluing them does nothing but keep incidence alignment between the halves. All the bending loads are carried through the tube. I might add a second alignment pin in front of the joiner tube. The two wing mounting bolts will hold the halves together and if that worries you, add a simple bolt to clamp the two halves together as many do with typical two piece wing aircraft. I would find two wing panels of less than 36" length much easier to deal with than the one piece version...


Mark

blackshark3 05-10-2007 10:06 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Hey JayJay,

I hope you had a nice time here!

Hey Adrian,

I gave up with the T.... After many trial and still errors the coupling problem remained.... I threatened Alex if he does not speed up his assembly on my other planes I would put that T on his Austral XX... However, that new Osmose looks nice, I might give the T another chance!

Have fun with the Spot On!

David Leitch 05-11-2007 11:22 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
riot3D

I'd be interested in knowing how the weight turns out. Also a review of the Groovy .90 mentioned that almost 1lb of weight in the nose was required for good balance. Hopefully the Spot On has improved on that.

jayjayneri 05-11-2007 11:51 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
David, I have built 2 Groovy 90s for friends over the past 6 months and neither has turned out tail heavy at all. This is with a YS110 up front. I believe only the first few batches of Groovies had this problem and it has since been cured.

Jayjay

jrpav1 05-17-2007 11:56 AM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
I must have had one of the early ones because with an OS 91 it needed a lot of nose weight even with a large airborne battery in the fuel tank compartment. I talked to Fai about this and I suggested that the wing should be moved forward if possible. Apparently something changed - maybe that was it. I'm glad I heard about the one-piece wing design on the Spot-On. I prefer 2-piece, plug-in wings so I guess I'll stay with the Groovy.

John Pavlick

tande 05-17-2007 01:31 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Hi Adrian---Please keep us posted on your build (Spot-On/YS140)---I'm VERY interested in doing the same combo!---
Thanks
Ed

riot3d 05-17-2007 02:56 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: tande

Hi Adrian---Please keep us posted on your build (Spot-On/YS140)---I'm VERY interested in doing the same combo!---
Thanks
Ed
Yes, I will. I've just received all of the parts from Central, and will start building next week.

Adrian

flyintexan 05-17-2007 07:50 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
John,

If I understand you correctly about adding lots of nose weight to your Groovy, wouldn't you want to move the wing aft?

-mark

Jeff_edge540 05-24-2007 03:24 PM

RE: World Models Spot-On 120
 
I'm thinking about getting a Spot-on 120 for my first pattern ship. I see you are going to put in a YS1.40 on it. That seems like overkill for a 9 lb plane.
I'm thinking about pairing mine with a YS 1.10. Since I will have to buy the engine should I go with the the 1.40 or the 1.10?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:37 AM.