Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX8 as heli radio?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
bwblevins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX8 as heli radio?

Hi all. I'm still an RC heli beginner working my way through the coaxial/fixed-pitch upgrade path. I'm starting to consider my first CP helicopter (probably the TRex 450) and radio. The Spektrum DX8 just came out and seems to have a lot of great features and is reasonably priced. However, I've seen in other places that it is best to stick with radios branded as heli radios. I've read enough to know that a ratchet throttle is not ideal for helis, but I know that this can be switched over to a smooth throttle. I believe the other issue is location of the switches. How big of a deal is this assuming (I don't know for sure) that the DX8's switches aren't located in the same place as a heli-branded radio? Would it be better to stick with something like the DX7 Heli? Thanks for any input.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 as heli radio?

Its got the 3 position F-MOD switch and throttle hold switches in the right place.

Most of the new Spektrum radios ship with the clicker and the smooth throttle spring clip. In fact, my 11X, which came out before the 8, has a smooth throttle stick, you have to find and install the clicker if you want it.

So it looks like that would be a great helicopter radio.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
bwblevins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 as heli radio?

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.