Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 conversion confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM
davei
My Feedback: (56)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 conversion confusion

I have a 9CAP with a ASSAN 2.4 conversion; a 9303 with ASSAN; and another 9303 with a FrSky conversion. I'm flying a Wild Hare EXtra with a DA50 with the FrSky. I use Assan in my FW 56 50cc qtr scale warbird. I'm scratch building a Fokker D-VIII one third scale and will use FrSky. The only problems I have had with 2.4 was with a Futaba 7; and with ignition feedback on one of the conversions. Don't believe the 2.4 hype about "no interference from ignition systems". If the spark plug is not properly grounded; can cause all kind of unwanted servo movement. A hose clamp on the plug cap solved my problem.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rmh

HORIZON introduced the SPEKTRUM aircraft 2.4 systems in fall of 2006
First radio was DX6- which was NOT a DSM2 system
in 2007 -Spektrum inroduced the DX7 radio with DSM2 technology
Then in rapid order - they introduced other tx and many rx -all DSM2 technology
Also -they made adaptions for other brand radios (modules and rx ) which used DSM2 technology
Also they originated Bind N Fly -which uses DSM2
Other manufactures introduced their own versions of 2.4 spread spektrum radios NOT DSM2
Small wonder - with the huge lead and sales of the DSM2 technology- the Chinese - make no mistake here - simply made their own products which were to operate with DSM2 and sold them in complete disregard for existing patents and laws in the USA.
Tho some of these seem to work with the DSM2 radios - they are not licensed and not approved or supported by Horizon /SPEKTRUM. Use at your own discretion- The situation will only get worse as the toy guys continue to flood themarket with knock offs of DSM2 and likely other systems such as Futaba FAAST
These guys will knock off anything
I have a Chinese knock off of the ROLEX Submariner that fools some ROLEX owners- and it cost well under 100 bucks- appearance is VERY good -the ''ticking'' of the slug wind movement is a bit slower -which is the giveaway -if you know what the real ones sound like .
Caveat Emptor
Patents for SS technology expired years ago. There is no law to prevent the Chinese or anybody else from making knockoffs/
The chips for the SS systems were made for wireless telephones and other systems such as bluetooth and WIFI. They are available for just a few dollars.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

waiting on the frsky system for my 9c to arrive. the vast majority of reports i have found on it is very positive. for 39 bucks its worth a try, little hint, wait a few minutes on the hk site when looking at the frsky system and they will pop up with a discount.
got mine for 31.80 and two more rx's for 15 each. with shipping it was under 80 bucks for all.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:47 PM
gbalab1

Hi ,

I have a Futaba 9CAP that I would love to use with my micro heli's (Bind and Fly) from horizon with DSM2. I'm still fuzzy whether or not a FrSky conversion module can do the trick?
Has anyone tested any FrSky transmitter modules with DSM2 recievers?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:57 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In most cases, one manufacturer's 2.4Ghz radio will not work with another manufacturer's 2.4Ghz radio. This is also true with the 2.4Ghz Conversion Modules.

JR/Spektrum 2.4Ghz use the same technology, so they work together.

There are some Orange Spektrum Compatible Rx's, from Hobby King, that will work with the Spektrum Module.

I do not believe FrSky Modules are compatible with Spektrum Rx's.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Initially, when 2.4 was introduced, there was not Third Party Rx's. Companies like Hitec, that had Rx's compatible with Futaba, JR, and Hitec, etc. did not or could not produce 2.4 compatible Rx's. I assumed that it was a patent thing. I do know that JR/Spektrum and Futaba use different implementations of Spread Spectrum technology.

Park Zone sutff uses Spektrum compatible Rx's. Anything that says Bind n Fly is usually Spektrum compatible. Plug n Play means you supply the Rx that is compatible with your Tx,

I have recently seen advertizements for Orange 2.4 Rx's, from China, that can be purchased and used with either Futaba or JR/Spektrum. They are only 4ch Park Flyer Rx's

Hitec, Airtronics, XPS, JR/Spektrum, Futaba, etc., all make 2.4 Tx's and Rx's, but none are compatible with each other.

If you have a 2.4 Rx from a manufacturer other than the one who makes your Tx, and it Binds with your Tx, then it was probably designed to be compatible and the manufacturer somehow got around the patents or licenses that prevents others from selling products with someone Else's technology.
SS systems patents expired years ago, There is no patents to wory about.
The only thing Spectrum or Futaba could do is copyright their code.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:08 PM
BuschBarber

Does that mean that Hobby King's offerings are just a tip of the iceberg and the door is open to any manufacturer to bring out 2.4 compatible components, like Hitec used to do for 72Mhz JR and Futaba? That would make sense, but if that is true, why haven't we seen more of these copies?

I am not contesting what your are saying, I am just curious as to whether or not we will be seeing more 3rd party compatible receivers?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
dirtybird

Its not easy to reverse engineer an SS system. If you do so it will only work with one other manufacturers system.
Hitec did not have to reverse engineer anything and their PPM receivers would work with any manufacturers PPM transmitter.
It might be possible to make a SS receiver that would bind with any DSSM system or any FSSS system but it will have to be a very smart design. I don't think even the Chinese are up to that although they have plenty of smart engineers with nothing to do.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Texastbird

Bomberbill, my buddy has the Dymond 2.4 system and it does work ok. He had trouble getting it to link up reliably untill he figured out how it should be done.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

My Tx case has locks.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
BuschBarber

Brian - Are you referring to the box where you store your Tx or are you referring to the the body of your Tx where your antenna, switches, and sticks are mounted? I was just wondering what you meant by Locks.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
alanjets

I have been flying frsky 2.4 in 90mm edf's and models up to 50cc with not one problem.I was asked the other day if i would put it in my jets to be truthful i said why not i have had not one problem but they turned and said but its cheap .So the question was just because futaba and jr and all the others charge the eirth for things dose that make there stuff better. i have just ordered the frsky telemetry I havent put it in my jets yet because of the 8 channels but im going to put it in my composite arf p51 mustang i have got hitec servo's in it and i have a hitec programmer so i can alter the direction on the servo so Y leads can be used. but i still think just because u pay alot more money for the brand names it dosent make it any better
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48168.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	1565493