Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

best radio to grow with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 AM
chriskaw85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best radio to grow with?

Hey guys i am new to the forum so hey everyone!
So i had a small gas rc plane as a kid and now i am getting back into the hobby i love to fly i am going to get kyosho's edge 540 red bull air race series but it comes with a 4 channel radio. i am in the army and am deploying soon so i am looking into getting a new radio in the near future....was wondering what your opinion is on a good radio to "grow with". right now its just enjoying to fly but will be getting into alot of aerobatics very soon maybe some 4d if i can get that good...lol well shoot me some info on what is the best in your opinion and what would be a good purchase to last a long while....and tips on great 3d planes would be good too thanks...btw anyone heard about precision aerbatics there new extra 260? let me know thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Default RE: best radio to grow with?

There is no such thing as the best radio to grow with. Everyone has different opinions on what is best. Whatever brand you decide on, get the most features/channels you can afford.
If you don't you will regret it later and than may end up buying another radio at a later date and thus spending more money.
For JR the 9303 and 11X are both good radios with all the features you would need. They cost $550 and $750
Futaba has the 12FG at about $1000, the 10CG at $649 and the 8FG at about $480, again all of these radios would do anything you need
Hitec has the Aurora 9 at about $400.
The list above does not include the highest priced radios or the lowest priced radios. I would not recommend anything in the lower end (not enough features to grow with) or the upper
end (cost too much and the added features would not be required), but if you can afford them you would be very happy.

Do your research and choose wisely.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I generally recommend staying with something in the low to middle range. You would be amazed at how many people start this hobby but don't stick with it. Nowadays, a good, 6-channle computer radio will last you many years without out-growing it. And if you even do, you can get a more advanced radio down the line and keep the first as a back-up (I know many people who only had one transmitter and were put out of commission when it had to go in for repairs)

Take a look at the Futaba 6EX
Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 AM
pilotpete2

While I'm a Futaba FASST fan boy, I would be reluctant to recommend the 6EX as a radio to grow with. The 7C is a much more capable radio if you want to go with Futaba.
We have a number of Airtronics 2.4Ghz radios in use at our field. The new SD6G is a very capable radio for its price, as is the Hitec Optic 6 2.4Ghz.
Pete
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have known several fliers who were "over gunned" with radios way too complicated for their skill level.  They would invariably hit the wrong switch or forget a slider or knob was moved or out-of-position and get into trouble.  Then again, I know a fellow who started off with a Futaba 9CA and still is happy with it 10+ years later.   

The good news is that any complicated Tx can be used as a simple 4-channel.  It is when you try and get fancy and program in operations not fully understood or flat wrong that a problem can pop up. 

I would recommend anyone fairly certain they will stick with R/C to invest in a good 7-channel or better.  If that's not possible, a six.  Even if you hop up a six is a good back-up for simple sport models.  But, like MinnFlyer said, a lot of pilots drop out of the sport soon when they find how frustrating it can be (it takes effort and dedication - these are getting rare).  If you are not sure get an inexpensive set-up.  But the good news there is that if you do stick it out you can have a "beater" tx for a float plane or ski plane or something to keep "at the camp" or with a Zagi in your trunk.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
molokaiboy

Well IMHOIthink a 7channel TX will fly just about anything. From little foamies and parflyers to larger gas models needing up to 7 servos. But on the other hand like others have stated, buying "whatever brand you decide on, get the most features/channels you can afford."

If money is tight you can find fairly inexpensive 7 ch 2.4 systems online. Then when you have saved some money then get the the tx you want. You can always use a back up tx anyways.

I think TXchoice has alot to do with personal preference.You could always get what they fly at your field, that way you can get help easily if you needit.

Aloha,
Les
Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 AM
chriskaw85

thanks for all the help guys well right now im flying in a football field on post...i am in the army and i am stationed in bamberg, germany so i dont know any fields around here but if anybody does let me know would really appreciate it and would like to fly with some guys