Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RF output

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF output

I need the advice of someone that knows the answer or has experience this situation, please no opinions or answers from anyone who really does't know I am at that point myself and want to move on. Having said that my question is this I have several Kraft 7 channel radio systems two of which are 1980 Signature Series systems I purchased new in 1980 on the 6 meter FM band the remainder are 7 channel MARK IV systems on the 72 mhz band. When I power on the Signature Series units which have always been FM 53 mhz the RF needle pegs at 10 on the scale. The MARK IV units which were purchased with 1991 narrow band 72 mhz transmitter modules and receivers only go to about 7 when they are power up with a 53 mhz transmitter module installed instead of the 72 mhz module. Phil Kraft designed the transmitter as a "dumb box" that could have any transmitter module regardless of band installed and work properly. I have discussed this with some radio repair shops and their comment is if it range checks ok then all is ok. The RF meter is a scaler function of the actual RF output and it is a bit unnerving to assume the RF output is ok if the RF needle indicates less than 10. The operator's manual does not address this issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue and resolved it?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: RF output

If the radios work correctly and the reading is consistent between RF modules, there is really nothing to resolve. The RF meter is just a relative measure of RF output and could even vary a bit between modules and still be OK. The main thing you want to watch is that the reading does not decrease over time which could indicate lower RF output compared to when new. The fact there is a difference between 6 meter and 72 MHz. modules means nothing.

And yes, I've been at this game a very long time and use to work on Kraft and other brands of RC equip. here in my local area. I've commented more than once that I wished that older transmitters didn't have an RF meter at all. Notice that meters have been gone from transmitters for some time now!

By the way, I have an almost virgin Kraft 7Ch (very late model but don't remember exact year) that I have considered converting to 2.4 GHz. just so I could use it again. I enjoyed those days very much and always found high end Kraft equipment to be extremely reliable in every way.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RF output

Thanks for the reply. I have some Kraft 5C radios without the RF meter and they work just fine. I have quite a few Kraft radios and a couple of JR 10X radios. I regulary use my Kraft equipment and use my Signature Series every year. I think the Signature Series radios were the finest ever built and in my opinion will be for the foreseeable future. As long as I use the ham bands I have no need for the 2.4 ghz equipment. Both of my JR 10X radio are on the ham band.

Thanks again.