Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Any problems with Hitec 2.4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:01 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any problems with Hitec 2.4?

Hi,
i would like to know if the Hitec Aurora9 system has any flaws that have been detected like the brown-outs in Spektrum/JR or the overheating Rx in Fut.?
Didn't want to hi-jack another thread so i ask here.

PLEASE don't defend JR/Spektrum or Futaba as this thread IS NOT MEANT for that. Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any problems with Hitec 2.4?

ORIGINAL: vasek

Hi,
i would like to know if the Hitec Aurora9 system has any flaws that have been detected like the brown-outs in Spektrum/JR or the overheating Rx in Fut.?

PLEASE don't defend JR/Spektrum or Futaba as this thread IS NOT MEANT for that. Thanks

Hello "proud Canadian living in Europe".

I could tell you that I have had "no problems whatsoever" with Hitec equipment and leave it at that.

No further explanation and I have an excellent reason to say that.

I do not own and do not use any Hitec equipment. so Ido not have any poblems with it.

This sure is a stupid posting but it is posted to illustrate hundreds (thousands) of such statements without any explanations on all kind of topics.

At least I am saying why I do not have any pfoblems with Hitec equipment.

Have a great day __ _ and watch for this stupid type of comments.

Zor
A proud Canadian living near Toronto.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
vasek

Hello ZOR,
i don't know what your problem is, and frankly i don't care.

If you have nothing constructive to say, please stay away. thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the Aurora in all my planes since it came out, I have one of the very first batch of 50 units. I am also a dealer and have sold probably a dozen more radios plus a bunch of receivers.

I have had perfect operation of the system in flight. Once the receiver is bound to the transmitter it stays bound and always works flawlessly. I flew all summer here in Texas with confidence. I have several 7 and 9 channel receivers.

In fairness, I also have had 100% performance from Futaba and Airtronics radios, and I have never had an in-flight failure from JR/Spektrum stuff either.

I think that what you will find is that certain brands are more vulnerable to poor setup than others, when properly wired and powered they all seem to work fine. I prefer the HiTec because of the easy setup, touch screen, high level features at moderate cost, and because the receivers are reasonably priced. I also like to built-in telemetry.

TF
Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
JIMF14D

Well here is a simple answer to a good question! Been flying Hitec A9 with 6 and 7 channel receivers in both electric and .70 four stroke glow models since March 2010. Over 300 flights so far with no problems at all.

No signs of any RF link glitches or brown outs. Range check is over 250 paces. Fail safe set up is easy. Transmitter features and set up are very nice.

I also have my10 year old Hitec Eclipse 7 Tx which Iconverted to 2.4 with the Hitec $20 promotional module as a back up. Not many flights but seems to work fine.

I sold my DX6 Tx and receivers which Ihad bought while waiting for the Hitec 2.4 stuff to get to market.

I have flown electrics with both the SPC power connections and also just plain old ESC/BEC hook up.

Have fun.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I'm been flying with my A9 throughout this past season and it's been flawless on everything from foamies to my giant-scale gassers. I LOVE my Aurora!

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been a hardcore JR user for 10+ years and I still use an X9303 for about half my fleet, but won't be adding any more. I've never had a functional or RF-related problem with JR/Spektrum stuff, but I feel more confident with the frequency-hoping technology used in the A9. The amazing feature set of the A9 combined with a very competitive price won me over. I've converted many of my planes over to Hitec and ALL new setups will be with the A9 and an Optima RX.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:41 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far I have not heard of any wide spread flaws with the Hitec A9
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guys,I'm a proud American living in the USA, and have been using the Hitec 2.4 conversions in my Futaba 9C and 8U transmitters,since last year,through the hot summer and have had NO problems at all.I have 2, 9 channel and at last count 14,7 channel receivers,And really like the reliability and low battery warning BUILT INTO THE RECEIVERS,at no extra cost. Thanks Ed
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I purchased the Aurora last winter, I have been using 6 and 7 channel receivers. on 7 different planes. I sold all the other radios I had,

I use it on nitro models 25-90 size. have not had a problem with it. The programming with the touch screen menus is a delight. You won't need the manual after a few evenings. I have only done basic setups, but I am thinking of getting another Aurora, in case something happens to this one (I had another transmitter knocked off the table and broke the gimbals on the aileron and elevator)

ED

Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
vasek

Good news so far

hi Ed, how many max channels is the Hitec module capable? 8,9 or more?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: vasek Good news so far hi Ed, how many max channels is the Hitec module capable? 8,9 or more?
ORIGINAL: 4*60 9
The Aurora is restricted to "9 channel" but the module does not control any channels.
Spectra Pro 2.4Ghzis compatible with other Module Type Transmitters that use the same Futaba/Hitec module shape/size/pin slots. e.g.:
5UAF, 5UAP, 7UAF,7UAFS, 7UAP,7UAPS, 7UHF,7UHFS, 7UHP,7UHPS
8UAF, 8UAFS, 8UAP, 8UAPS, 8UHF,8UHFS,8UHP, 8UHPS
(8FGA, 8FGH as non-module radios can not be accomodated).
9CA, 9CH, 9CAPS, 9CAFS, 9CHPS, 9CHFS
10CH, 10CA (10CAG or 10CHG as non-module radios can not be accomodated).

much more info available at:
Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}
and
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 AM
vasek

Good news only so far so good
Old 10-28-2010, 08:19 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good news only so far so good

Indeed The long excrutiating wait was worth every painful moment (although not totally loyal operating 5 XPS systems for a year and a half during that wait).

I have posted many times positively since I got my Aurora and the only negative is the one I already knew about and accepted before the purchase and that is the type of screen and it is a little hard to read in sunlight.

I now have just three airplanes on the Aurora but however have thirty one of the Hitrec 2.4 7 channel rx's (key words) installed and flying using multiples, 3 each of the Prism 7X and the Eclipse 7.

The much maligned telemetry feature as simply a toy has already made one save for me. This when the module in one of the old Prism 7's gave me plenty of warning when a critical low battery voltage occured in flight due to my carelessness in charging the on board flight battery the night before. This is not BS its a fact. Does this make this a glowing onesided customer report? You betcha it does

John
Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Zor
Banned

Hi,

I am not trying to defend any manufacturer here.

Ican see if in fact the RX in Fut are overheating that could be a design flaw.

A "brown out" is due to a voltage source that is too low or overloaded (cannot supply enough current).

All electronic devices need a minimum voltage source and current availibility to operate as designed.

I wonder why someone would consider a "brown out" as being a flaw ?

I think a so called "brown out" would be normal for any electronic device not having proper voltage and / orcurrent.

Zor

Old 10-29-2010, 07:48 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is specifically asking about the Aurora and the Hitec system and its been requested to not clutter it up with continued argument about whatever you favorite ford or chevy is.

So I will respect that wish but since Zor wants to talk about brown out issues I will talk about it as it relates to the Hitec system.

Simply put I have never had any brown out issues with my hitec systems. I have as I outlined in my previous posts have had to date extensive experiance with the hitec module/rx 2.4 system and to a somewhat lessor extent experiance with my Aurora.

Now nowhere in any of the Hitec manual or in the instructional sheets does it say you cannot use 4 cell receiver packs in fact there is even a feature in the telemetry low flight pack warning that auto senses whether or not you are using a four or five cell pack to provide the appropriate warning cutoff voltage. With the Aurora this cutoff voltage is adjustable by you if desired.

Having said that There is some veiled implication while not saying it directly that perhaps its a good idea to use five cell packs and packs with capacitys much larger than what we formerly used in our old 72 systems.

This is a no brainer for me having ceased to use four cell packs and packs of low capacitys some years back even with my 72 systems.

John
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 AM
vasek

ZOR, for the second time i'm asking you to stay away from my posts if you've got nothing constructive to say THANKS

(i think you've got enough problems as is; trying to bind your own dx7[X(])
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: Zor

Hi,

I am not trying to defend any manufacturer here.

Ican see if in fact the RX in Fut are overheating that could be a design flaw.

A "brown out" is due to a voltage source that is too low or overloaded (cannot supply enough current).

All electronic devices need a minimum voltage source and current availibility to operate as designed.

I wonder why someone would consider a "brown out" as being a flaw ?

I think a so called "brown out" would be normal for any electronic device not having proper voltage and / orcurrent.

Zor

Because the Spektrum systems would brown out in normal operation where as other systems would
not when operated under the same conditions. many folks found that you could cure the problem by
going to a 5cell pack but the radios came with a 4cell pack. If the radios needed a 5cell pack to work
properly then Spektrum should have made that known to the customer and provided a 5cell pack.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Zor
Banned

Red text below by Zor

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

This thread is specifically asking about the Aurora and the Hitec system and its been requested to not clutter it up with continued argument about whatever you favorite ford or chevy is.

So I will respect that wish but since Zor wants to talk about brown out issues I will talk about it as it relates to the Hitec system.

The first person to talk about "brown out" issue(s) was the originator of this thread in his first post.
I have never considered that a forum accessible to everyone is private and that a thread can be private.
The forum is an open facility for everyone to emit and discuss any posted topic.

Without wishing to protect any manufacturer, I could not digest the comment that Spectrum/JR had a flaw in their equipmen due to "brown out".

Simply put I have never had any brown out issues with my hitec systems. I have as I outlined in my previous posts have had to date extensive experiance with the hitec module/rx 2.4 system and to a somewhat lessor extent experiance with my Aurora.

Now nowhere in any of the Hitec manual or in the instructional sheets does it say you cannot use 4 cell receiver packs in fact there is even a feature in the telemetry low flight pack warning that auto senses whether or not you are using a four or five cell pack to provide the appropriate warning cutoff voltage. With the Aurora this cutoff voltage is adjustable by you if desired.

Reputed companies do not put on the maket equipment which have flaws. If the owner/operater let the equipment reach conditons out of specifications for usage the onus is on the operator to correct his problem.

Having said that There is some veiled implication while not saying it directly that perhaps its a good idea to use five cell packs and packs with capacitys much larger than what we formerly used in our old 72 systems.

The paragraph above makes lots of good sense as you keep further away from low voltage or lack of current supply ability from the source.

This is a no brainer for me having ceased to use four cell packs and packs of low capacitys some years back even with my 72 systems.

You used good thinking John and provided yourself with less chances of a "brown out" situation.
The 4.8 volts works fine and is sort of a standard in the industry. Many servos on the market are not very happy with 6.0 volts if used extensively and at full deflection.

John
John,

Your posting and experience is much appreciated.

Zor
Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Zor
Banned

ZOR, for the second time i'm asking you to stay away from my posts if you've got nothing constructive to say THANKS

vasek,

You initiated a thread in a public forum.
You degraded the reputation of a manufacturer by writing in your first post that Spectrum / JR had a flaw in their product.
You also included Futaba for overheating.

You are trying to keep out anyone that does not agree with your statements.
Perhaps were you just trying to get people to write that your brand of radio equipment is better than others.

I do not know but it appears there is a tendency that way.

What was constructive in my postings, you could not see.
My initial posting put people on their guard as your initiated thread was an open invitaton for business people to highlight advantages and praisingthe brand they sell.

Beside I would invite you to read and interpret what is written in their proper meaning.
I have had no problem whatsoever in binding my new Spektrum DX7 and never asked help to do the binding. The binding was done right off the first ttime following the manual instructions. What I seeked help about was some of the system behavior following the binding; things that are not explained (covered) in the manual.

You just wrote
If you had read with more attention you would have realized that my questions and reported observations had nothing to do with the binding process.

I wish you all the best with your endeavors.

Zor

P.S.: No doubt that you are favoring nice reliable equipment.
Other equipment is also nice, reliable and reputed as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Zor
Banned

Because the Spektrum systems would brown out in normal operation where as other systems would
not

The above statement needs some back up.
The Sepktrum R7000 is quoted in the manual to operate from 3.5 volts (page 24.
Many (most) servos will stop operating at about 3.8 volts.
Are you telling us that "other systems will and do operate below that ?"
Down to what voltage ?

Any manufacturer should not be blamed as having a flaw if the operator let tthe voltage drop that far down whether it is a 4S or 5S battery pack.

when operated under the same conditions. many folks found that you could cure the problem by
going to a 5cell pack but the radios came with a 4cell pack. If the radios needed a 5cell pack to work
properly then Spektrum should have made that known to the customer and provided a 5cell pack.

A five cell pack simply has more leeway before it drops to less than the "brown out" voltage or the capacity to supply the needed current.

Another thing to take into account is that batteries that will drop voltage under heavy load will read a much higher voltage when the load is removed and only the connection of a voltmeter is present. Some might say "I had a brown out" and the voltage was way up normal.

[/quote]

Have a nice day

Zor
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
ira d

I dont knowwhat the Spektrum manualreads but the simple fact is that the early Spektrum receivers had brown out issues when usedthe same as any
other receiver on the market, The fact that Spektrum redesigned the receivers to correct the problem tells us there was a issue.

Oh and thank you for the class in electricty battery theory 101 howeverI dont see what your point is because you are basicaly saying the same thing I did.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: ira d

I dont knowwhat the Spektrum manualreads but the simple fact is that the early Spektrum receivers had brown out issues when usedthe same as any
other receiver on the market, The fact that Spektrum redesigned the receivers to correct the problem tells us there was a issue.

Oh and thank you for the class in electricty battery theory 101 howeverI dont see what your point is because you are basicaly saying the same thing I did.
Ira d,

I suppose you are commenting on my post just prior to yours.
I am guessing that since there is no address.

I did not give any classes in electricty to my knowledge.
The reason for brown outs was mentioned and some voltage figures werequoted from the DX7 manual. The same would apply for any system from any brand or manufacturer.
It is just a matter of someone who wishes to throw the rock in one specific direction without substantiathing the statement(s).

From what I read about this brown out situation Spectrum reduced the time for re-esalishing conncection from about 3 or 4 seconds to nearly instantaneous.

I can easily imagine they were trying to help those who did not monitor their battery pack well enough to avoid the situation.

We also have to keep in mind the usage of the the 2.4 gigahertz band.
Indications are, true of not, that Spectrum have had the largest portion of the market.
It makes me feel that we are much more likely to hear about issues on these.
As I said before the statement that they had flaws while others did not (that meaning was pretty clear even in different wording) needs substantiation.

If you know of a differentsystem improvement or change they made, please let us know.
Ihave not seen, read or heard of any other complaint(s) than the brown outs nor any mention that the brown out were happening while the energy supply was not at fault.

Reducing the reconnect timing is not a correction of brown out occuring while normal voltage and current capability was normal and sufficient.

Let us know if you know better and do the best possible to back up such statements.

i certainly am not trying to raise a conflagration or confrontation.
I am just trying to get to the facts with some reasonable foundation.

Thanks and best regard from Zor.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 AM
ira d

Zor

There are plenty of complaints reguarding JR/Spektrum lock outs that can not be verfied to be caused low voltage. But in the end anyway you slice it many more
problems have been reported with JR/Spektrum systems reguarding lose of control than the other brands even though the other brands are using the same
type and voltage battery and operated under the same conditions. I might add the only other brand that has been reported to lock out on the level of Spektrum
was XPS and I dont see their system being used anymore at least in my area.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Zor
You initiated a thread in a public forum.
And since you posted your diatribe in this public forum, I will post the following.

The original poster asked you *VERY* politely, *TWICE* to GO AWAY, which you refuse to do. It is your track record to have the last word at all expense.

Have you absolutely no sense of decency nor manners? Have you absolutely no sense of courtesy? You obviously have no concept of respect for others. Not a shred what-so ever.

It is obvious that your "involvement" in this hobby has NOTHING to do with model aviation but in controversy. One only has to go to your profile and sample your posts to see that you know very little of the modern state of R/C, but that in your quest to catch-up, you ask questions and then belittle those that offer answers and attempt to establish yourself as an authority on the very subject you beg answers to.

Again, have you sense of decency or manner? Your multiple flaying posts do nothing more than amuse and discredit. Give it a break.

EJWash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.