Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What DON'T you like about your Tx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What DON'T you like about your Tx?

[quoteGo visit some LHS's and hold 'em in your hands, it might boil down to that as there are some which I like, some which I hate and some in between.][/quote]

What Zeeb said! I see you're on track with the 'feel' test. [8D]

I have a 9C and 8U Futaba, and have the 72 Mhz, 2.4 Fasst and Spektrum modules so can fly anything with them. Love the versatility, but have had a couple issues using the Campac memory so don't trust it much. I plan to transition to a tray next year too.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Hi,
I would NOT buy a Spektrum based TX again.
It has had too many issues and still has some problems:

1) with servos moving when system turned on (even if failsafe is set correctly) see:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10113363

2) have to use 6V setup as the brownout occures in substantially higher current than other 2.4 brands

3) the 2 frequency selection of DSM2 is not bullet proof as it CAN arbitrarily select the 2 freq. so close together that a single interference could cancel both signals (this is well documented but can't find the link right now).

EDIT: one more) you can't use amplified servo reverse Y's with Spektrum

PLEASE I am not bashing Spektrum as I have the brand. JUST saying what I don't like as per the question asked. THANKS
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Well dang, I haven't made it down to the LHS yet. I'm going to try this weekend. I'm really starting to think the Aurora might be the way I go. Between the price and the telemetry it's kind of tough to beat. I just need to get one in my hands. I'm still not thrilled about that wire hanging off the back though, lol, oh well.

Z
Old 11-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Futaba 12FG: Can't stand the plastic bumps on the back of the TX (grip bumps I'm guessing). I dremeled them off.
Spectrum: You have to turn on the TX with specific buttons held down to access certain menus (such as model select). After a long lay-off, I forget which buttons.
9CAP: Similar beef - you have to hold the rotary wheel down to finalize a new model selected. Not inherent.

Kurt
Old 11-06-2010, 04:06 AM
vasek

ORIGINAL: IronZ

I'm really starting to think the Aurora might be the way I go.

Z
smart choice Z[8D]
Old 11-07-2010, 09:45 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JR 12x , love the radio, If I could make a change, wish the firmware could be continually updated by the user over the web etc. instead of sending in to Horizon.

Mike
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

I've heard lots of good things about the Aurora. As an SD-10G owner, Ihave to say you should really look at it before you buy the A9. It's programmability and features deserve a look. Good luck with your selection. Jim
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I finally made it down to the hobby store today. They had the Aurora 9 and the 8FG but not the DX8 (does anybody? lol). I've got to say that I liked the feel of both of them. I want telemetry so that kind of knocks the 8FG out. The Aurora 9 was really comfortable in my hand and, to my surprise, that wire on the back really didn't seem to be a big deal. That one shocked me a bit. I was expecting this flimsy thing dangling off of the back of the TX and getting caught on things. I don't think that would really be a problem now.

I can't find anyone around here that has the Airtronics to check out. I'm pretty much decided on the Aurora now anyway. I'm going to wait until after the holidays but something big will have to happen to make me change my mind at this point, lol. I didn't get to power it up and check out the menus and such, but you all seem to think it's pretty intuitive.

Thanks for the input!

Z
Old 11-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Pa-18cub150

futaba 6exa: no model name, 6 model memory, no throttle cut. Not upgradeable to 2.4, no timer,

futaba 6exas : 6 model memory not upgradeable to 2.4 no timer

Hitec eclipse 7: only 7 model memory, throttle cut and timer button difficult to locate. There is a lot I like about this transmitter though.

Jr xp8103 : only 10 model memory. Hitec dose not have a Jr compatible 2.4 module out yet. More complicated to program than the other three. Not shift select like the eclipse. I love the timer and zeroing trims on this one.

I still use all 4 transmitters with the jr 8103 being the newest to me. Wow I'm up to 29 model memory. O well I will never manage to keep more than 5 or 6 airworthy at any one time so what am I worried about
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 AM
Pippin

Evo is actually made by Hitec since they took over the MPX brand a couple of years ago. Production is somewhere in China or around that country.

The Evo series is actually bypassed by more modern radios and you wouldn 't find many at completions nowadays.

I had a look at the DX8 recently. What I did not like is the orange Tx light. It looks rather cheap. The rest of the radio looks and feels like the opposite.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 AM
ChuckA

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Evo is actually made by Hitec since they took over the MPX brand a couple of years ago. Production is somewhere in China or around that country.

The Evo series is actually bypassed by more modern radios and you wouldn 't find many at completions nowadays.

I had a look at the DX8 recently. What I did not like is the orange Tx light. It looks rather cheap. The rest of the radio looks and feels like the opposite.
Correction. MPX and Hitec are owned by the same man and the Evo WAS imported by Hitec. Unfortunately, whoever controls what Hitec imports decided to discontinue impoting Evo and did not get FCC certification on the 2.4 Evo. Fortunately, I have two of the first Evos imported in the US and have converted them to 2.4 with XPS and they do everything I need so I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO ASIAN programming as long as I have a working Evo.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM
tadawson

Bypassed? I don't think so . . . there are no radios out there that can compete with Multiplex programming. Hitec claims that the Aurora can, but that too is misguided, and shows their lack of understanding of the Multiplex line which led to their decision to no longer import it.

Take the time to learn a Multiplex, and you will never go back. You want "qucik and dirty" with zero versatility, stick with Asian . . .

- Tim
Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

I don't like the way the dust and dirt fly up in my face out of my TX when I crash...

Sorry, couldn't resist... somebody had to do it
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Capgains

I hate it when I crash and the airbag deploys!!!!

I like my Evo too, but I hate the way it was orphaned in the US market, and that despite upgrades to the firmware, they never did get the typos and errors (flap channel fixed at 20%) fixed in the North American language version. Other than that, it is a wonderful radio easier to program than my Futabas.

Funny question; What Don't you like... I suppose nothing except that I probably only use 5% of it's capability especially since I don't fly helios.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Futaba 8FG - I don't like the way that the manual is written for only airplane / heli / glider usage.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
rcpilot007
My Feedback: (646)

Three things that would be nice at least for me to have .One, Metal open Gimbals like the Ron Chidgey sticks the very best feel ever .Two, Louder warning and timer beeper.Three, a battery voltage capacity indicator like the cell phones have Hey how hard would that be to for computer radio geeks to do?? OK thats it ..............Happy Flying to All............

PS one more............. How about adding some metal in the Tx radio case and make the Tx a bit more rugged..............
Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM
ddaveb

Wish the screen was back lit on my 12fg like the super screen on the 10cap also nutral point values in servo moniter vary even ater a recalabration
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree, louder beeps would be quite a nice thing.

And the battery meter would be nice too... I always have to think about it when looking at my TX's voltage readout, and try to determine, "is that good or bad?"