Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Worth Converting my JR 347 to 2.4???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Worth Converting my JR 347 to 2.4???

Okay, I know nothing about the the 2.4ghz radios that are now in use in our hobby. I took some time off from the hobby, when my kids came along, as I was only flying a couple times a year. Now, I am going to be flying more, with my son, so I thought I would look at getting a new JR Transmitter and receivers, but the price is a little step. I noticed that you can replace the PCM FM module on the transmitter. What's the opinion out there on doing this conversion, or should I just buy new Transmitter.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worth Converting my JR 347 to 2.4???

I converted a 9303 and a 10x 2 years ago and have not had a single problem. Unless you need or want capabilities beyond what the 347 provides, then I would certanly not hesitate to do the conversion. Unless you've already done so, I would certainly invest in a new transmitter battery pack at the same time.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might also consider what the cost of new batteries for old radio equipment will do to your costs. If you haven't used them in a while, it would probably be money ahead in the long run to replace batteries.

That said, I have a Spektrum 2.4 module that I've used in a JR 9303 transmitter, and I hear that Hitec is coming out with a JR compatible module (current info is yet this month for the arrival) that enables you to use the new Hitec 2.4 receivers with the module and a JR transmitter. I'm looking forward to that one, the Hitec 6 ch receiver is only about 45-50 bucks, vs. 90-100 for the Spektrum or Futaba 7 channel guys. I figure I'll experiment with the Hitec stuff maybe over the winter / next spring.

I've had good luck with the Spektrum AR7000 7 ch receivers and the module or the Spektrum DX7 transmitter. Keep reading forums and learning, you may be doing what I did and swap to 6V batteries in the airborne equipment when you swap to 2.4GHz also. There have been some issues with low voltage brought on by things like high current digital servos, etc, and the 6V battery is pretty inexpensive insurance when flying new radios with computer chips everywhere you look..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
mimoore67

Good point on the batteries. I had the batteries replaced a few years back, when I had a radio shop calibrate my radios. Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I think it depends on if you intend to keep flying on 72mhz.  If you do, you'll want to consider replacing the 347's batteries.  The convenience of staying with one transmitter might appeal to you, too.

If you're going to convert everything to 2.4ghz, you're looking at perhaps a $180 price difference between replacing the 347 with something comparable and converting it.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
ArchNemesis

My personal opinion would be to look at new equipment. I still have my old 347 (and we are talking old...I think I go that in '92 or '93) and at the time it was a great radio.

I'm an Airtronics guy so I'd be remiss not to point you to look at the new SD-10G, but regardless of brand, JR/Airtronic/Futaba you'll do well to pick up a new radio. You're looking at new receivers regardless so it's your chance to shop all the brands without fear of outdating any old equipment. Servo's are all interchangeable now, though you'll find that using 2.4Ghz systems play better with digital servos in general.

Pay attention to receiver prices too, as you'll likely want more Rx's in the future.

-Mark
Old 11-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

Okay, I know nothing about the the 2.4ghz radios that are now in use in our hobby. I took some time off from the hobby, when my kids came along, as I was only flying a couple times a year. Now, I am going to be flying more, with my son, so I thought I would look at getting a new JR Transmitter and receivers, but the price is a little step. I noticed that you can replace the PCM FM module on the transmitter. What's the opinion out there on doing this conversion, or should I just buy new Transmitter.
To be completely honest, if did not have problems with 72mHz before, why do you want to change now? There are a few benefits of changing to 2.4 but it all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Lets review some of the circumstances where I believe 2.4 and 72mHz have very disctinct advantages and disavantages.

1. Flying in a park or unregulated field. Here is where 2.4 SHINES! You will have complete confidence that nothing will interfere with you as the 2.4 radios are designed to "play" with the available band and not interfere with each other. No potential of a rouge RC switching on a radio on your same frequency.
2. Flying at a regulated field. Here you have the famous frequency board. If the field is crowded, then the frequency board might be full. But nowadays the frequency board is being used less and less. The board at our field is starting to show spiderwebs all over the place.
3. Telemetry. Depending on the radio you get, some of the newer radios (not module based) include telemetry software that can read sensors installed on the aircraft. This applies to new radios only.
4. Model Match. Spektrum / JR radios (non-module based) are equipped with a failsafe that will not let the model react if the correct model is not selected on the radio. This will prevent you from taking off with the wrong model
5. How many receivers do you have to change? This was my first reason to NOT change completely to 2.4 at once. Too many receivers that cost me a fortune when I bought them the first time, and now would cost me another fortune to replace. I've been buying one or two receivers at a time, and eventually I will buy a non-module based radio, but since I have a mix of 2.4 and 72 receivers I will stick with a module for now.
6. We used 72mHz for a long time, and most people feel comfortable with it. If your field is regulated and the frequency board is mostly empty then continue using your 72mHz equipment until you have the budget and need to change.
7. With the use of digital servos and the 2.4 system being a little more sensitive to voltage changes than the old 72mHz receivers, you need to understand the power requirements of your RC system and provide a battery pack capable of producing the necessary power. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, 72mHz is still the way to go.
8. Last but not least, if you intend on attending any fun fly, you might want to check out their restrictions. Some fun flies are requiring the participants to be on 2.4 for safety and ease on the staff reasons. There is no need for a radio impound if the field is restricted to 2.4.

Well, those are the major issues I can think of right now. I'm pretty sure there are a lot more that somebody else can think of. Bottom line is: If your equipment is still working, and it passes a range test, there is no real reason to change. Only you and the field you fly at are the real determining factors of the final decision.

Hope that helps a little.

Rafael
Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
mimoore67

Rafael, Thank you, you make very good points. For now I think I'll stick with my 72mhz equipment, but will within the next 6 months, pick up a 2.4 system and slowly convert over, as my flying increases. Thanks for the education and the rational from all of you!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I have been flying 72mhz since 1978. When I bought my first JR XP9303, several years ago, I was still flying on 72mhz. I bought a Synthesizer RF Module and then a second XP9303 with a Spektrum RF Module.

I couldn't switch to 2.4 fast enough. I still have the same two Tx's and i have not purchased a 2.4 only Tx, yet. I now have a collection of 2.4 Rx's and only a few 72mhz Rx's. There are a plethora of Bind and Fly aircraft. Flying without worrying about being shot down is fantastic. I do not need to wait for a frequency pin or worry about accidentally turning on my Tx when I am in a hurry to check my radio.

The cost of a Spektrum Module is minimal. I would encourage you to move in that direction if you can't get a DX7 or DX8 right now. There are also a number of cheaper options such as a Hitec, XPS, ASSAN, etc., options, as well, to convert your Tx to 2.4, although, they would not be compatible with JR/Spektrum 2.4 Rx's.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will tell you one 2.4 you do not want to even consider. It is the Futaba 6EX FASST. They do not have the functions needed to do much at all. They are cheap and the nicads are not available at many places. The On-Off Switch is not located in a good place. Futaba must make a mint off all these cheap radios they got from China. The servos are really low power....you will need better ones right away. Look to JR or anything besides this radio...new or used. I have seen used ones go for $100 for the complete system. This radio new should have only costed priced at $150...not worth much more. Take your time & look around more.......................
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Prairie Mike

Good idea. I still have a lot of 72mgz receivers and transmitter modules. I use them on aircraft I'm not too concerned about losing. You can always add a 2.4 module later one if you wish. But, I'd strongly suggest you also convert your onboard batteries to 6 volts to avoid any "brownout problems".

I have a friend who is still actively flying his 347, it's now in a twin Beech D-18. It may be old, but it still works and provides enough channels for most sport flying and even his twin with gear & flaps.

I sent my 347 in to horizon several years ago to get it upgraded to a 783 and it came back as an 8 channel transmitter, ailerons, elev, rudder, throttle, gear, aux1 (flaps), aux2 (spoiler) and aux3. WAHOO!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JLB

I converted a 9303 and a 10x 2 years ago and have not had a single problem. Unless you need or want capabilities beyond what the 347 provides, then I would certanly not hesitate to do the conversion. Unless you've already done so, I would certainly invest in a new transmitter battery pack at the same time.
I agree completely, I converted my 347 several months using XPS system.....it works great !!! The folks there are super and will help you with questions you may have. They will recommend the system you need and are really good people to do business with.

I also agree with replacing the transmitter battery....I am using a li-po from Hobby King which fits perfectly in the transmitter and allows many flights before recharging.

Just make sure your aircraft power system is adequate I use 2 6 volt 1100 mah , the XPS receiver will handle up to 30 volts so no problem there, just make the servos can handle the extra voltage as the 6 volt batteries can be over 7 volts when fully charged.

Its a great transmitter with this conversion.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Hey guys what about the assan modulesand rececivers , i have a futaba 9c that i am thinking about assan module and 8 channel rececivers,  anyone know good or bad???????
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 AM
rexbirk

I too have an old 347. Was a great radio. I believe that radio has a small backup battery soldered into the board. I heard 5 years of life then replacement is needed. Not totally sure. I did change one on an older 8 channel. Not a job for the squeamish though.