Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6volt receiver pack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6volt receiver pack?

can any servo or receiver run on 6 volts? I need to replace my receiver pack in my heli and thought about going to 6v. What are the benefits of going with 6v over the standard 4.8v. Will the 6v harm or shorten the life of the servos/receiver?
thanks
jeff
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6volt receiver pack?

Most servos are compatible with 6v. I have some JR 791 Retract servos that are not compatible with 6v. Servos compatible with 6v are usually marked as such on the box and in the specs. In most cases, servos running at 6v have faster speeds and more torque. Look at the specs for most Hitec servos and you will see that they have ratings for both 4.8v and 6v.

Some servos marked HV can be run at 8v.

Most Rx's run fine at 6v. It is usually the servos that limit the voltage, if at all.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You will probably have to do something about the tail rotor servo as most of those don't prefer 6v but all the other stuff is fine.

What tail servo do you have?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jjoos99 can any servo or receiver run on 6 volts? I need to replace my receiver pack in my heli and thought about going to 6v. What are the benefits of going with 6v over the standard 4.8v. Will the 6v harm or shorten the life of the servos/receiver? thanks jeff
Battery chemistry is not mentioned - following previous posts provide good information, especially if using 2.4GHz receivers which do not tolerate voltage depression under heavy servo loads as much as the earlier systems.

<dt>Servo - Operating Voltage Range - usuage with Lipol & A123 batteries.
</dt><dt>JR Servos - Warranty void most JR servos used above 4.8V - Do not use above 6.0v fixed.
(PDF copyattached in need)

Aurora A9 - Battery is not charged.has some good information on NiMH batteries.

A123 cells, use with caution, pleasecheck specs against Optima Transceiver (RX) - A123 2S Cell

Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 caution re NiMH.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links</dt><dt></dt>
Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
fgibson

If I can piggy back on this request...I am getting ready to put a 17 year old Byron Pitts back into service this spring.  I plan to use my Futaba 2.4 radio and I'm pretty sure that receiver will handle 6v.  But the servos in the plane are older Futaba FPS-134 Giant Scale servos and I wonder if anyone knows if 6v would present a problem for those.

Appreciate any help.  First time posting here...(just returning to RC after a 17 year break.)  My how things have changed.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: fgibson If I can piggy back on this request...I am getting ready to put a 17 year old Byron Pitts back into service this spring. I plan to use my Futaba 2.4 radio and I'm pretty sure that receiver will handle 6v. But the servos in the plane are older Futaba FPS-134 Giant Scale servos and I wonder if anyone knows if 6v would present a problem for those. Appreciate any help. First time posting here...(just returning to RC after a 17 year break.) My how things have changed.

S34 &S134 (old and new style plugs) servos were listed at 4.8 <6.0 volts, more than that they burn up.
A5 cell ni-mh will work.
Details and warning as attached.. more under Servos at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: fgibson
If I can piggy back on this request... I plan to use my Futaba 2.4 radio and I'm pretty sure that receiver will handle 6v. But the servos in the plane are older Futaba FPS-134 Giant Scale servos and I wonder if anyone knows if 6v would present a problem for those.
All of the Futaba 2.4 GHz receivers are made for 4.8 and 6 volts. No idea about the old servos.
There is a Futaba support forum on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm where a couple of people who work for the service center respond to questions about Futaba products.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 AM
TimBle

Futaba Recievers can handle up to 9V so you also use a LiPO battery into the reciever, nop problem. Its the Servos that can't handle that voltage.

the Servos determine your pack voltage to a great extent than the the reciever.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
fgibson

Thanks for the replies everyone...extremely helpful information!