Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Choosing new radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 AM
KouDy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing new radio

Hi all,
i am currently looking for new transmitter (to move to a new level) for heli flying.

1) I am looking at Futaba 10CHG 2.4GHz but could someone please hint me to some other options? I was looking at Spektrum which i am not really convinced about and also 9C Hitec Aurora which looks interesting mainly because of touch display.

2) Everywhere i am seeing Mode 1 or Mode 2. If i am not mistaken :
mode 1 : left y axis is forward/backward, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is throttle and right x axis isstrafing (aileron)
mode 2 : left y isthrottle, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is forward/backward andright x axis is strafing (aileron)
Now my question, i am currently flying mode 3 which is same as mode 1 but right and left x axis are swapped (rudder is on right x). Can virtually all radios be set into this mode. Right now i have basic Walkera radio which i got together with CB180Z. I am asking because if i want to get new radio and there would be no such option i could start learning these let's say more common modes.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:36 AM
ArchNemesis

Default RE: Choosing new radio

Make sure you include the Airtronics SD10G in your search. It supports all 4 modes, has 9pt curves on everything including mixes, and has all of the current CCPM swash configurations already preprogrammed.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:40 AM
KouDy

Thanks for hint. I will look at this system and put it among the others to consider.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba T10C is an aweseome radio, but the T8FG is a match for it in nearly every department.

The Hitec Aurora 9 has a lot of Multiplex technology in it so its also a good option.

I'm not convinced with the Airtronics radios. I know their servo's are wired differently which is annoying so you may find yourself completely locked into their system. Its worth checking out theAirtronics compatibility with other brand servo's.

The T8fg, T10CG, Aurora 9 or SD-10G will all offer you more features than you'll ever use.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
ArchNemesis

To TimBle, that's somewhat old info. Airtronics changed there servo wiring to be standard in 1997. Anything since then is 100% compatible across all brands. The servo connector is standard too matching the same plug style as JR.

PRIORto 1997 you were correct, they used a 3 tabbed connector (still like those connectors better) but the wiring was reversed for + and - so they weren't compatible without flipping those wires which was a pain. Thus...they changed.

I realize I'm biased since I fly for them, but they have COMPLETELY reinvented themselves over the past 2-3 years. Huge investment in R&D resulting ina very very competitive product line without the "market leader" price tag.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: KouDy

Hi all,
i am currently looking for new transmitter (to move to a new level) for heli flying.

1) I am looking at Futaba 10CHG 2.4GHz but could someone please hint me to some other options? I was looking at Spektrum which i am not really convinced about and also 9C Hitec Aurora which looks interesting mainly because of touch display.

mode 1 : left y axis is forward/backward, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is throttle and right x axis is strafing (aileron)
mode 2 : left y is throttle, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is forward/backward and right x axis is strafing (aileron)
Now my question, i am currently flying mode 3 which is same as mode 1 but right and left x axis are swapped (rudder is on right x). Can virtually all radios be set into this mode. Right now i have basic Walkera radio which i got together with CB180Z. I am asking because if i want to get new radio and there would be no such option i could start learning these let's say more common modes.
I will go with the 8FG, very fast radio (low latency for helis) http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/, and it will be a very good combo with S-BUS and the new Flybarless system from Futaba. http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t613442p1/

Doug.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
KouDy

As i have learned, most of radios should be able to be set in all 4 modes. I'd say for models we have here in question it's almost for sure.

I would say i would still go with 10C because they plainly cost about the same with 8FG(both in set with 8 channel receiver, 10C comes with 14C receiver too, still ok price, but that's about the ceiling for my purse). Thanks for the links i still have to read them (hope i will understand things there ).
So if "main difference" between 8FG and 10C from Futaba is like... bigger display, more convenient navigation in menus in favor of 10C, i guess it's a good improvement.

Airtronics looks solid, i still have to do more reading on it but i see it as direct competitor to Futaba in my deciding. I didn't find any seller locator on AT website. Please hint the blindme to some international seller locator .
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
DougV

The 8FG has a more advanced software than the 10C IMO, both radios are 10 channel radios (8+2) and the 8FG is software/firmware upgradable via SDCard.

Doug.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
ArchNemesis

Best place to order the Airtronics is directly from the Hobby People web site www.hobbypeople.net

Pay attention to the price of additional Rx's too. That's one place where Airtronics has gotten extremely aggressive on pricing. They have 5,6,7,8 and 10 Channel Rx's for $49,$59, $69, $99 and $129 respectively (depending on promotions and such). And since you can assign any function to any channel on the SD10, you're able to use the smallest Rx that can handle the number of servo's you're using. It makes a big difference on your purse when you are trying to outfit the rest of your aircraft.

Good luck!!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 AM
KouDy

The whole idea begins to form...

I am afraid i will have to almost scratch Airtronics. Practically unavailable here. Buying from US is currently out of my question, i need vendor in south east asia (ideally Malaysia, Hong Kong would do too). I will keep searching tho.

So if whole system will take form of Futaba 10CHG 2.4GHz with R6008HS receiver and GY750 gyro from Futaba. All this inside Thunder Tiger mini Titan e325 SE (that heli is some kind of plan at least and may change later, eventually later moving to bigger stuff).
When one has receiver and radio from one manufacturer (let's say Futaba to keep the course) does he have to get servos from same brand? Or are these things universal (plain logic says just get everything from single brand to reduce problem chance)?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole idea begins to form...

I am afraid i will have to almost scratch Airtronics. Practically unavailable here. Buying from US is currently out of my question, i need vendor in south east asia (ideally Malaysia, Hong Kong would do too). I will keep searching tho.

So if whole system will take form of Futaba 10CHG 2.4GHz with R6008HS receiver and GY750 gyro from Futaba. All this inside Thunder Tiger mini Titan e325 SE (that heli is some kind of plan at least and may change later, eventually later moving to bigger stuff).
When one has receiver and radio from one manufacturer (let's say Futaba to keep the course) does he have to get servos from same brand? Or are these things universal (plain logic says just get everything from single brand to reduce problem chance)?

I have the 10CAG 2.4Ghz and the R6008HS setup on two different gas planes. I love this radio.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 AM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

I am looking at the SD-10G to replace my Futaba 8UAP. With that radio, if I want a servo in each elevator as in my larger planes without a Y-harness, servo reverser, etc, I would need an 8 channel receiver. Is this true with the SD-10G? Between the advantages of 2.4 and the need for more programming options I suppose it's time to let the old Super 8 go.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: propstryker

I am looking at the SD-10G to replace my Futaba 8UAP. With that radio, if I want a servo in each elevator as in my larger planes without a Y-harness, servo reverser, etc, I would need an 8 channel receiver. Is this true with the SD-10G? Between the advantages of 2.4 and the need for more programming options I suppose it's time to let the old Super 8 go.
I had an 8AUPS before I moved to the 9CAP. Both were good radios. Both came with the Ailevator program, that supported connecting the Right Elevator servo to the Elevator (Ch2) and the Left Elevator servo to the Aux3 (Ch8). So it appears that you already have this functionality.

Certainly, the SD-10G is a good radio. The Hitec Aurora 9 allows you to operate in 2.4Ghz mode, with Hitec 2.4Ghz receivers, and also is backwardly compatible with all of your existing Futaba 72Mhz PPM receivers, when you use the 72Mhz module in the transmitter. The Aurora 9 also supports the use of Telemetry modules.

If compatibility with your existing Futaba receivers is not important, there is also the Spektrum DX8, which like the Hitec Aurora 9, has Telemetry modules. There is also the JR 11X and the Futaba 8FG, which are also 2.4Ghz radios. The Futaba 8FG can be expanded to 12 channels using the S-Bus technology that Futaba developed.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM
propstryker

Thanks for the input.

Decisions, Decisions: Futaba 10CAG, Airtronics SD-10G, Hitac Aurora 9, JR 9503. The Airtronics seems like a lot of radio for the money, almost 1/2 the price of the 10CAG. I had an Airtronics radio years ago and it was great, rock solid. My Futaba 8U has also been rock solid. I've been a Futaba guy for quite awhile now and the 10CAG is quite expensive but I know those who are quite happy with it. I am not sure what is going on with JR and the DSMX situation. I assume they will have this resolved at some point. I'm sure I won't go wrong with whatever I choose. It's great to have all of these choices.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: propstryker

Thanks for the input.

Decisions, Decisions: Futaba 10CAG, Airtronics SD-10G, Hitac Aurora 9, JR 9503. The Airtronics seems like a lot of radio for the money, almost 1/2 the price of the 10CAG. I had an Airtronics radio years ago and it was great, rock solid. My Futaba 8U has also been rock solid. I've been a Futaba guy for quite awhile now and the 10CAG is quite expensive but I know those who are quite happy with it. I am not sure what is going on with JR and the DSMX situation. I assume they will have this resolved at some point. I'm sure I won't go wrong with whatever I choose. It's great to have all of these choices.

I am also in the market for a new radio. I think I've decided on the Futaba T8FG. Before you spend the money on the 10CAG, take a good look at the 8FG. It has the new software you see in the 12FG and 12Z, whereas the 10CAG is more like the old 9C. Also the 8FG with the new software update is actually a 12 channel radio and is cheaper than the 10CAG
Old 03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
propstryker

Thanks for your ideas. I'll take a look at the 8FG.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

mode 1 : left y axis is forward/backward, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is throttle and right x axis is strafing (aileron)
mode 2 : left y is throttle, left x axis is rudder, right y axis is forward/backward and right x axis is strafing (aileron)
Now my question, i am currently flying mode 3 which is same as mode 1 but right and left x axis are swapped (rudder is on right x). Can virtually all radios be set into this mode. Right now ihave basic Walkera radio which i got together with CB180Z. I am asking because if i want to get new radio and there would be no such option i could start learning these let's say more common modes.

For the record, The Hitec Aurora 9 does support all the stick modes.

John