Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hitec Aurora9 or JR X9503 Which is better and why?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Aurora9 or JR X9503 Which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Aurora9 or JR X9503 Which is better and why?

Trying to decide which radio to purchase for my 100cc Extra 330L. I am driving myself crazy at this point!

I like the JR set-up with the satellite receivers, somehow makes me feel like no matter what attitude the airplane is in, it will always get great reception.
Hitec's Aurora 9 has some great features and I can get it for well over $200 less than the JR.

I have 3 other Hitec radios and I like them all for various reasons. I am inclined to go A9, simply because I am NOT a pilot that can use, or needs, a top of the line system, but the JR has some features I like.

If they were both brand new in the box in front of you, which one would you chose and why?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Aurora9 or JR X9503 Which is better and why?

I am not going to help much, I would choose the Hitec, because I am on a tight budget. I would say, the only thing that would concern me is if either of the radios have a better or worse track record with kill switches on gas engines. I have heard a couple of "problems" with the hitec, but I don't have enough knowledge of the larger planes to make a judgement call. If budget is of little concern, I would go with Futaba.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:09 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

Trying to decide which radio to purchase for my 100cc Extra 330L. I am driving myself crazy at this point!

I like the JR set-up with the satellite receivers, somehow makes me feel like no matter what attitude the airplane is in, it will always get great reception.
Hitec's Aurora 9 has some great features and I can get it for well over $200 less than the JR.

I have 3 other Hitec radios and I like them all for various reasons. I am inclined to go A9, simply because I am NOT a pilot that can use, or needs, a top of the line system, but the JR has some features I like.

If they were both brand new in the box in front of you, which one would you chose and why?
I have the 9303 which is not much different than the 9503. I enjoy the ability to utilize any JR/Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receiver including all the Bind n Fly aircraft.

The Hitec A9 is a modular Tx and can communicate with any Rx that it's modules support. Hitec 72Mhz modules support any Hitec 72Mhz or 2.4Ghz Rx's. 3rd party modules can be purchased from Spektrum, Futaba, XPS, etc.

I personally like the Spektrum DX18 over the JR9503.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hitec gear and I have flown at heights of above 1000 meter that is quiet a range check and as I'm in Australia I think we run lower transmitter power to the states. May be some one can give us the distance the JR gear will go My 2 cents worth Yours Paul T
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

I have the Hitec gear and I have flown at heights of above 1000 meter that is quiet a range check and as I'm in Australia I think we run lower transmitter power to the states. May be some one can give us the distance the JR gear will go My 2 cents worth Yours Paul T
With my 9303 and DX8, I have gone up above 1500ft. Generally, the range should be at least 5000ft, but who can see that far and unless you have GPS, how would you know. I had an Altimiter when I took my H9 89" Carden Yak up to 1500ft. The other statistics have been reported before.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Really all you're going to get is brand loyalty. They are both good radios.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought my first Aurora 9 when they first came out and liked it so much I bought a second. One for IC engines and one for electrics. I can use the other transmitter as a buddy box or as backup if something happens to the primary one I am using. For buddy box or backup just attach the patch cord and copy one to the other and have perfect identical setup on both. Never had an easier transmitter to program prompts you through the setup and its all touch screen. I love mine.

As to other brands I have limited experience all I can say is that if any one brand were so much better than the others we would all be flying that brand. Pick the radio that best suites your needs. One you find comfortable to hold on to. One you have confidence in otherwise you may never be happy. One last thing to consider if you are less than comfortable with programing and working through the manuals might be to buy one that is common at your flying site that way there should be lots of help available to shorten the learning curve.

Dennis
Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Propworn

As to other brands I have limited experience all I can say is that if any one brand were so much better than the others we would all be flying that brand. Dennis
That should be a sticky note here. Like cars - they all have strong and weak points and are priced, generally, by features and quality. Choose the one that best suits your requirements, budget or tastes.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Disclaimer: I'm biased!

Aurora 9

1. Easiest radio on the planet to program with it's large back lit touch screen and open architecture so that anything can be assigned anywhere! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27DZNCMP1A
2. Built in Rx battery telemetry/warnings with additional telemetry options available. http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...try/index.html
3. Single or Dual BODA's (Boosted omni directional antenna's) for easy installation! http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...ghz/index.html
4.Huge database of info/FAQ's available: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10907906

In reality, the Aurora is closer to the new JR XG11 in features but at less than half the cost!

Compare manuals here:
http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/Manual_Aurora9.pdf (Latest update: http://www.hitecrcd.com/support/firm...rora9v108.html )
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/JRP2930-manual.pdf
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/JRP00615-Manual.pdf

Mike.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

At Joe Nall several years ago Mike McConnville flew a 50%-ish biplane out about a mile then pulled vertical and turned on the smoke. I think that'll beat 1000m

http://www.jrradios.com/Content/PDF/Challenge_AD_4.pdf

Andy
Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks for the input fellas. I appreciate it. I am going to stick with the Hitec. I ordered the A9 yesterday afternoon.