Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HD POWER servos any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD POWER servos any good?

Question:
Is the old saying "you get what you pay for" true of these servos? They are seemingly priced too good to believe! It is hard to believe that there is really $90 worth of stuff in a high end/high torque/high speed name brand servo. Have we been spending exhorbant amounts of money all this time?
Has anyone tried these servos? (ref) $18+ for 200+ ounces of torque, metal gears, futaba splines, .16 on the speed etc. as advertised on T*M's website...hmmm. I fly mostly 50cc sized planes.
[X(]
Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HD POWER servos any good?

I am sure that someone will buy them and eventually report on how well they stand up and how good the warranty is. If you cannot wait, then buy some and use them on a test plane you don't mind risking. I have no knowledge of them but TBM has been reputable.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few threads over on Flying Giants aboput them. The reviews are mixed. Some love them and some have lost aircraft because of them. My first hand experienceeith them is that I wouldtrust them in a small model but that's about it.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Texastbird

I have a set of 9150s on a 50cc model that I haven't got quite ready to fly yet. I think they are going to be pretty good for the money. Do some reading for yourself on F***giants. Several well respected vendors sell them, so they can't be all that bad (I hope).
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: Steve S. Helland

Question:
Is the old saying ''you get what you pay for'' true of these servos? They are seemingly priced too good to believe! It is hard to believe that there is really $90 worth of stuff in a high end/high torque/high speed name brand servo. Have we been spending exhorbant amounts of money all this time?
Has anyone tried these servos? (ref) $18+ for 200+ ounces of torque, metal gears, futaba splines, .16 on the speed etc. as advertised on T*M's website...hmmm. I fly mostly 50cc sized planes.
[X(]
I sold them for a while at Wild Hare Hobbies. This is like the line in the child's poem "when they were good they were very very good but when they were bad they were terrible".

I mainly sold the 9150s, and they were excellent servos as long as they worked. But the few failures that occurred tended to fail in a hard-over condition, which is almost always fatal if it happens in the air. I stopped selling them because of this and I have replaced them with Airtronics servos for medium priced giant scale servos.

TF
Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the 9150s in a 50cc Edge. Had them on all the surfaces. On the third flight, I had an elevator servo go bad and almost lost the plane. Managed to get it on the ground and immediately took them out.

I won't say that they aren't any good. I mean every brand has failures, but these are the only ones that I personally had fail and I sure didn't expect it to happen on the third flight of the plane. [:@]

Oh, before you go read all the comments about it making any difference where they are bought from, I did buy mine from a reputable dealer in the US and not from the other guys.

Good luck!