Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What lube for a servo gear change?

Old 08-02-2003, 06:09 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What lube for a servo gear change?

Hey guys. I'm replacing the nylon gears in a couple of servos and would like some recommendations as to what to lube them with. It's the first time I've done this and didn't even think of lube until I took one apart.

Thanks,
IronZ
Old 08-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I use a automotive white grease that is designed for electrical switches. For me I get it from work but I have seen this grease in auto supply stores.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:27 PM
John Hawkins
My Feedback: (2)

I've used Lubriplate white lithium grease. I bought a big tub of it but used to get a small tube from the auto supply store. Also from the auto store I bought some silicone grease put out by Locktite I believe. It seems to be OK. No harm to plastic gears in a couple of years.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:12 PM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

I figured it was white lithium. Thanks guys.

IronZ
Old 08-03-2003, 12:48 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

I called Horizon 2 years ago and asked a radio man what to use. He said to use Tamiya White Cermaic Grease. He said it was the same basic stuff JR puts in new servos.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:43 AM
Lynx

Lithium grease is all you ever need. Servo's don't warrant the use of any more 'sophisticated' a lubricated. They're low torque low speed devices compared to what's available industrially. Anyone telling you you need something different is just trying to sell something. Just remember the golden rule of greasing. DON'T USE TOO MUCH => Use just enough to coat parts minimally (non visible coating) and slight globs of it at the main point of rotation/contact where the grease is liable to (taking gravity into account) fall back onto the part so you get lubrication flow. And that last bits just a good idea, not required.