Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Digatal or analog servos

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digatal or analog servos

I have about one year flying experience and I am now flying a .60 size Yellow Aircraft Extra 300L. I have standard bb servos in the plane. On a plane that size, will I be able to see the diffrence in digital servos versus the standard Futaba 3004?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98518_43377.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	56201  
Old 08-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Yes, I wondered the same thing to when I first got into them with my Hanger 9 Edge 540...

Before I got digitals I used Hitec 425s, 605s, 475hbs, 645mg, and so on...

I bough Hitec 5945s and 5645s for my h9 edge and the difference is amazing! The precision you have over analog is night and day, when you say do an aileron roll (spin), the moment you let your finger free of the stick that plane is stopped dead where you left it, with analogs it wasnt as accurate...

Do I think they are worth the extra money? Yes, why, because your getting a better quality product that will IMO help you fly better
Old 08-03-2003, 05:57 AM
Lynx

It's not necessarily the quality. The big reason is holding power. An 'analog' servo will try to do it's best to maintain the position you're sending it. A 'digital' servo will do everything but get out and push to maintain the position you're sending it. The whole using the word digital as a buzzword is stupid, but effective for marketing => NO less or more effort goes into manufacturing an analog component as opposed to a digital one. They just behave differently.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:16 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

In that plane I doubt you will be able to tell all that much difference. Any corless motor servo (doesnt have to be digital) is going to give you more speed and torque. For 60 size planes I allways liked the 5 pole hitec 545. its precise and reasonably cheap
Old 08-04-2003, 01:50 PM
claysmith
My Feedback: (10)

You should try the hitec 5475. Its digital and only costs 34.95. i have a few and they work great.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:11 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used coreless on all the surfaces on my Yellow Extra except for the rudder. Used a digital Multiplex on that to help hold knife edge.

Rein
Old 08-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Iceman30
My Feedback: (14)

With the digital in place of the standards can a learning, one year pilot, that is ok flying and doing basic acro...tell a diffrence? I am kind of leaning toward the NO, that stick with what I have and master the moves first...Am I correct?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:26 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hitec digitals

Which of the Hitec digitals (5945 / 5645) is best for the flying surfaces of a 120 size 3D ship ?

Any views from actual users of high end Hitec servo's?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Steve Campbell2

Iceman,

In my Kangke CAP 232 Sport, which is about the same size as your airplane, I found a very noticeable improvement when I installed 9252s on aileron and elevator to replace the 9202 coreless analogs.

When I did the same replacement on my 60-size helicopter, the improvement was even more noticeable- especially on collective.

Unless you are a rank beginner, which is unlikely, you WILL notice the difference. And I agree, the difference is worth the money.

Steve
Old 08-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Digital Servos

I hope you notice that everyone who says there is no difference is not flying digitals.

True, standard servos are better now than ever before, but they just aren't up to the standards of the digitals. I have 2 sets of the cheaper, "sport digitals," 4 JR 811s and 4 Hitech HS-5475s and I can tell the difference. They center extremely well and have huge holding power.

You will probably keep any servos you buy for several years. Don't end up like a guy I know with 4, low end 4-channel radios because he didn't want to spend the extra few bucks for a computer radio. He has more than that in all his low end stuff. You have a nice airplane. if you are on your way to being a good flier, get some digitals and see the difference yourself. Put your other servos in a Stick or some other knock-around plane to fly every once in a while.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:34 PM
ricksheau
My Feedback: (1)

With digital you can see the difference your servo centers perfectly every time so trim doesnt get screwed up. Check out Servo Central for a good deal.