Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 Crashed Two Planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX7 Crashed Two Planes

I wouldn't fly my vapor with a dx7 or any other dsm2 product for that matter........
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
pilotpete2

I would love to know how you do fly your Vapor without a DSM2 equipped transmitter[:-]
Pete
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone playing with his big sister's computer?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

ZOR,

Here is an email address you might try for help for your problem.

[email protected].

If 4.8 volts is the problem, then maybe we can find out why the
consumer is being ripped off when 4.8 volt packs are included with the
systems! My DX5e manual reads the same about rx voltage requirements
as the DX7 manual. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

Just my $.02 here.

I am and have been a happy DX7 radio owner now for about 2 years. This radio has been great!

I do have to say though, I have encountered the occasional 'weird' circumstance where the above noted happens ( connect the battery, two solid lights and no control). When this happens, the TX and RX could not lock onto each other and it lets you know the turn off and turn back on again.

Be sure to check the following-

Being that the airplanes that crashed were aerobatic ships, what type of servos are/were used? This plays a big factor. If you are using the stock 1100mah pack and 4 ds821 servos...OOPS. I have personally tested amp draw with four of these servos @ just about 5 ish volts and the draw was ALMOST 2.5 AMPS! thats enough to pull that peak 5.0v pack down to around 4 volts under load. This was done by testing all servos WITH RESISTANCE, each pulling 50 ounces vertically, around 1 inch outside the screw on the control horn. This is the proper way to test a servo and it's true strength. Amp draw was tested with an astroflight watt meter. Avoid this with either a hydrimax 2500 MAH pack (5 cell) or use a lipo/regulator or LIFE battery.

What is the angle of the satellite receiver's antennae vs the body's antennae? These 2 should not sit on the same plain (angle wise) and should be at least 45-50 degrees with difference, preferably 90 if there is only 1 satellite.

Is your Thunder Tiger 40 rattling your power switch to the off position? While this is rare, the TT 40 engine is a common factor between 2 crashes. This isn't a stab at nitro, although I am an all electric flyer

When both lights are solid and you have no control, put your ear up to the transmitter-just above the power switch. You should hear a buzzing noise. This is the tx modulating frequencies (the sound is actually capacitors charging and discharging- no modulation can take place without this buzzing). If you hear the buzzing and still get no control, send your RX back to horizon for a FW update and checkup. I believe a similar issue was just had and published as a recall with the AR6200 carbon fuse RX.

I am very sorry for your loss-I feel your pain. I hate losing models, and I hate justifying the crashes to my wife as IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO CRASH 'EM, DON'T BUILD 'EM.

I am here to help, and I hope that we can help you here! The DX7 really is a good transmitter! I promise!

Best,

Chris
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chris (harttvboy04),

Your 2 cents are worth a lot more.

I can definitely hear that buzzing sound even with my old ears. It is not loud but it definitely is there and noticed when turning the transmitter on and off. I can hear it better with my ear on the back of the case and not have the support eye bolt in my ear.

I have been working today in figuring the final set up for the batteries and the two receivers. Not much space in there trying ot make things available (accessible).

I have turned the system on many many times and did not have any failure. It sure is a strange problem and it is nice to read that I am not alone with exactly the same occurrences.

Thanks so much for your posting.

Zor
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
damroadhog

This one is easy

Just say NO to 4.8 V on your RX, You MUST use 6V on your RX if your using JR/Spec 2.4

Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: damroadhog

This one is easy

Just say NO to 4.8 V on your RX, You MUST use 6V on your RX if your using JR/Spec 2.4
What experience did you have that makes you post this statement ?

Zor

Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 AM
blkman73

Hi All,
I had been flying for approx 4 yrs when a friend decided he wanted to fly.
We got a trainer and a DX7 system.
Because he was new to the hobby i virtually built the plane for him. Did system set up and tested .
Test flight went off without a hitch and only needed on click of up trim for trim out.
We got 3 flights in that day inc maiden.
On the 4th flight plane took of ok and climbed out .
As my buddy took the controls he was doing level flight and started to tell me that the plane wasnt responding .
I quickly took control of the plane and found it wasnt responding correctly
Brought her back an and was lucky to do so. Since i had flown spread spektrum for awhile i immediately looked at battery voltages.
TX was reading over 9.9 v and rx was reading 5.6v.
I did another range check and did full ground check on all control surfaces. Checked hinges just in case one had come loose.
I couldnt fault the plane.
Thought we'd give it another try.
Climb out was solid as a rock.
once leveled out he took control again and was flying smoothly for a few minutes.
Then he started to complain about non response .
I took control of her and as i did she dropped the right wing and spiralled in from 300mtrs
No response to any controls.
He sold the DX7 not long after and went JR and have never had an issue since.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 AM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: blkman73
I had been flying for approx 4 yrs when a friend decided he wanted to fly.
Geez Mate
What size tank did you use for that? Ya must have been tired

Whilst it is not the same radio as the thread is about, it is simialr technology. I had a couple of similar experiences with my JR systems (12X with inbuilt 2.4 and a converted "PCM9XII" (9303) with a Spektrum conversion). It made me decide to swap brands because of the "unknowns" destroying my confidence in the gear.
There are known issues with the connectors used for the satellite receivers.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:36 AM
raziel1
My Feedback: (2)

i have been using dx7 for 3 years now with out any problems of any kind but i never us a 4.8v batt of any kind if your volts go below a constant 4.8 v your asking for problems . most people us a cheap way of getting some thing done and i have found you get what you pay for .
read a little more and you will find this has been a ongoing thing.
you will also read people using 6v battery not haven the problems with the system unless they had a defective system .
spend the exter 10 to 15 bucks on a 6v battery and you shouldnt have a problems
also bind system more then one time befor flight.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM
Brandon-RCU
My Feedback: (72)

Zon,

this is in response to your bench test where you stated that the system would only bind sometime.

One thing you may consider is that the Tx and Rx need to have some distance between them for it to bind properly.
I have heard the number is 5', it seem to have cured this condition.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

I have run into this on many occasion.  (blinking lights on recievers and not making a real connection).   Almost every time it's that you've got the transmitter too close when you turn the reciever on.  Most never note the instruction in the manual that says not to have the transmitter closer than about 5 ft. when you turn on the reciever.  The cure is you turn it all off and separate the two and turn them back on (transmitter first, then reciever) and all will work just fine and you'll never have the problem again if you just follow that instruction.   (I'm not that smart, I learned this the painful way too).  Been flying the DX-7 for a year now trouble free since I got that figured out.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Zor
Banned

Hello raziel1,

I certainly will not argue the outlook you are mentioning. Others also wrote the same opinion.

Is it not amazing that a DX7 kit comes complete with a R7000 receiver, four DS821 servos, a 4.8 volt battery pack and a charger forthat battery.

Is it not also amazing that the manual that comes with this kit claims that this receiver operates down to 3.2 volts on page 16 and contradict that for 3.5 volts on page 24.

Is it not also amazing that twice the system was bound as shown by two solid led light on the dual receivers and a measured voltage of 4.8 volts and all three servos connected to the receiver would not operate.

Conclusion ___
Spektrum may have more than an equipment problem, they seem to have created a reputation problem for themselves.

Season's Greeting to everyone,

Zor

P.S.: A question remains ___
A 6 volt battery here is a lot more than $20.00 and also a new charger witll be needed with a price estimate of $40.00 to $100.00 . Cost is a lot higher north of the border.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
harttvboy04

Zor,

While you may find that the cost is higher, a 6.0 volt pack is a lot cheaper than that of an entire airframe setup! Once you purchase the charger, the batteries typically can be had at the lhs for around 25-30 dollars. Remember, it's not just about higher capacity- it's about how the higher capacity battery will handle the higher amp draw! Technically, a fully charged 1100mah spektrum 4.8 volt pack Will work just fine, but there is the low voltage issue...

Do yourself the favor now and either go the hydrimax route (less expensive, good quality) or go the LIFE route ( more costly, far more reliable). Life batteries require a charger and no overnight charging. They can be fully charged in about an hour at the field. P.s. They are lighter too!

Kudos on the 5 feet rule! This is true!

Best,

Chris
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Brandon-RCU

Zon,

this is in response to your bench test where you stated that the system would only bind sometime.

One thing you may consider is that the Tx and Rx need to have some distance between them for it to bind properly.
I have heard the number is 5', it seem to have cured this condition.

Thanks,
Brandon
Hi Brandon,

Your posting addressed to Zon puzzles me.
I have not seen any Zon in this thread.

If this is a simple typing error for Zor I wish to point out that to my recollection I have never written that " my bench test whereI stated that the system would only bind sometime".

Since my first binding process, which was successful, my system never failed to bind.
What happened is that twice the system was bound but none of the three servos would respond to the Xtr commands.

I hope this clarifies things for the readers.

Season's Greetings

Zor

Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM
harttvboy04

Or you could just be like me and toss nitro out all together, along with ex batteries and go electric with bec's!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: harttvboy04

Or you could just be like me and toss nitro out all together, along with ex batteries and go electric with bec's!
I have to assume that the above is aimed at all readers.

My DX7 system is operating an electric propelled sailplane.

Zor
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
PhaetonBipe

just my $.02

This weekend I saw a guy turn on his airplane, then turn on his transmitter, and one aileron servo did not function. Turn RX off and back on, everything is fine.

Shut everything back off. Turn on RX, turn on TX, one aileron servo does not function. Turn RX off and back on, everything is fine.

Shut everything off. Turn TXon first, then turn on RX, everything works fine. Repeat many times. If the RX was turned on first, one aileron servo would not move.

This was a Futaba radio, running 6v battery in the RX, using digital servos. I have never seen this happen with analog servos. I don't know the brand of the digital servo. I don't know enough about the workings of digital servos, but I'm already starting to not like them.

Flew the plane, it worked just fine.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.4 broadband systems are NOT the same as the stuff used for the past 50 years.
The tx and rx are equipped with electronics which function like little task specific computers .
Just like the Windows systems we are saddled with you can screw up the operation thru improper sequencing during setup.
They are also voltage sensitive - ALL OF EM
Once the link is broken - it must reconnect -this can also be done improperly.
The latest versions of DSM2 I have been using (I use Spektrum stuff exclusively) are more user friendly thatn the original versions .
However the original versions all worked as advertised for me
Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 AM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

IF YOU HAVE TO USE 6 VOLTS, THEN WHY IS SPEKTRUM HOSING US MODELERS????
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Zor
Banned

PhaetonBipe and all,

We easily get used to follow some specific pattern in our actions.
As an example I have always been careful to switch on the transmitter followed by the receiver as generally specified or recommended and then switch the receiver off first.

Your post gave me the idea of finding out what happens if I switch the receiver on first so I tried that.
With the receiver switch on nothing happend. No led lights came on at all.

I then switched the transmitter on and the two led lights on the receivers came on steady and the system was working fine.

I tried this six times with the same results. Note that I have only rudder, elevator and throttle servos.
All operated nicely.

I also found that the 20 amps fuse in the motor circuit has burned out.
I think I know why and do not mind telling you.
I had the fuselage tied up so I could run the prop which was clearing the table by 2 inches.
On the table I had a sheet of plastic that was sucked up and tearing got partly wrapped around the prop shaft.

I immediatly shut off the throttle control but I think the fuse actually did the shut off before I could react.

I am on my way to buy some fuses.

CUall later

Hey ___are you having as much fun as I have ? It is well below freezing here (near Toronto Canada) but I need some fresh air anyway and give a ride to the car which has not run for a few days.

Zor

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: rmh

2.4 broadband systems are NOT the same as the stuff used for the past 50 years.
The tx and rx are equipped with electronics which function like little task specific computers .
Just like the Windows systems we are saddled with you can screw up the operation thru improper sequencing during setup.
They are also voltage sensitive - ALL OF EM
Once the link is broken - it must reconnect -this can also be done improperly.
The latest versions of DSM2 I have been using (I use Spektrum stuff exclusively) are more user friendly thatn the original versions .
However the original versions all worked as advertised for me

rmh,

I am with you 100% and a bit more ( LOL).

Who is Libby watching us ? The nice dog in your avatar ?

Zor
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 AM
harttvboy04

Zor,

You have not lived until you had seen an electric sailplane just floating around, then you hear a tearing, lashing type sound and watch as that same glider turns into a Saturn V2 rocket, and almost goes into orbit...awesome!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: turkey hunter

IF YOU HAVE TO USE 6 VOLTS, THEN WHY IS SPEKTRUM HOSING US MODELERS????

Right ON turkey hunter.

I did not know what to expect when I bought my DX7 system.
I was building a new plane and wanted to go to 2.4 Gig to follow the crowd.

Money is limited and I needed servos, Xtr and Rx.
I already have a XP7202 and knew the DX7 was the same but for the RF band in use.
The package price was decent so I bought it.

Now I am having lots of fun with the doubts in my mind.
I did not have any problems with the XP7202 and still have no problem.

Season's Greetings to all.
Ya ___readers as well ___come and join us.

Zor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.