Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

First timer looking for RTF plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
northernseal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First timer looking for RTF plane

Iam a beginner wanting to get a first plane. I like the looks of the parkflyers.com cessna pro deluxe RTF planehttp://www.parkflyers.com/Cessna_Pro...ne_p/4303d.htm. because it looks relatively easy to fly, replacement parts arereasonably priced and it comes with a 2.4 Ghz radio. The down side is there is no distributor in my area so Iwould have to mail order the plane and replacement parts.

I am also looking at the hobbico FlyZone Cessna 182 EP2.4GHz http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVX3&P=0. (Not to be confused with the better hobbico flyzone cessna 182 skylane select EP.) The reasons I was considering this plane is there is a local distributor, replacement parts are cheaper and it also comes with a 2.4GHz radio. From what I hear its engine is slightly anemic, but Ifigured I could replace the engine and ESC later on if need be.

Iwas also wondering about the radios: the Parkflyers.com one comes with what appears to be a parkflyers branded radio which seems kind of sketchy, whereas the hobbico flyzone one comes with what appears to be a better radio, the TACTICone, although Idon't really know if it is actually better. My concern is I want to be able to use the radio again in other planes so I wanta decent radio that has easily available extra receivers etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: First timer looking for RTF plane

Go with an Alpha 40 or Alpha 60 RTF setup. You can go glow engine or electric. See at HorizonHobby.com

Cessnas are typically not good trainers.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 PM
northernseal

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the alpha 40, it looks cool, but unfortunately it is significantly more expensive than what I was looking at previously. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
carrellh

Hobby Lobby (not the arts and crafts Hobby Lobby) http://www.hobby-lobby.com/beginner_...es_199_ctg.htm has a decent selection of trainer planes at different price points.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
pilotpete2

Since you're a first timer, have you looked to see if there's a club in your area that has a training program for newcomers?
A combination of simulator time and buddy box with instructor will save a lot of crashes, not all, but many

Best of luck,
pete
Old 11-24-2010, 05:10 PM
carrellh

The AMA club search http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx works great. Just enter your zip code and the radius to search.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.parkflyers.com/RC_Airplane_p/430124g.htm
If you are going to try it alone, something like this might give you a better chance than the Cessna.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
northernseal

I came across the nexSTARRTF trainer, for a decent price: http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/nexstar-mini/. I can get it for $265 locally

Any thoughts? Is this a good choice?
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 AM
ggraham500

I initially learned to fly with a NexStar .46 glow RTF about 6-7 years ago. I never used the extended leading edge (LE) or their AFS (automatic flight stabilizer I think?). The plane was unstable and difficult to get any kind of consistency. I had experienced fliers try it ... same results. I tried a club owned SIG LT-40 ... wow what a difference, but I wanted and a larger size ARF and not a kit. So I went with an Alpha 60 and my learning advanced quickly. I moved easily to low wing, and biplanes and etc. I fly most any aircraft now confidently. See my models as some current examples.

So I cannot recommend the NexStar. Join a club. See what they recommend for you. There may be a couple trainers for sale. Learn with a buddy box and use a good flight simulator to practice, practice and practice at home.

I average about 10-12 ten minute flights a week and have a blast every time. It definitely was worth the effort and expense. For me, this hobby is the best form of enjoyment, relaxation, camaraderie, and intellectual stimulation I know. Go have fun.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The NexStar would be a better choice, but none of these will be "easy" if you've never done it before.

Find a club in your area and get help. Without someone standing next to you who knows what he's doing, you will more than likely take your new toy home in pieces.

Not trying to discourage you, just stating the facts.

Click on the link in my signature for some really good info for beginners
Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Jesper1979

You can read my review of the Swift Maxi/Robbe Hydrasnake here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10079144/tm.htm
You can get this as a RTF kit, but without a radio I think, but it is worth to takethe hassle to buy a RX set.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGBUQZaQ4Q[/youtube]
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
northernseal

Ok, so now I am wondering pros and cons between these two planes: nexstar mini and the sky fly max. Sky fly max is much cheaper (140$ for sky fly max at tower hobbies vs 270 for the nexstar mini), and sky fly maxlooks easier to fix. Both planes offer aileron control, and have similar wingspans.

What are pros and cons of these two planes?

Derek
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM
MinnFlyer

I helped my partner review the Sky Fly Max last spring and we were both very impressed with it. In fact, we used it to train his 9-yr-old son this summer.

One of the really nice features is that the prop is not in the front, which saves a lot of prop replacement if you nose it in on landings!

Here's the review. I'm doing the flying in the video

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1254
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
northernseal

@minnflyerThanks for your response, that is helpful. So, Isee the sky fly max is a really good option. On the flip side, what are the benefits of the other plane, the nexstar mini?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM
MinnFlyer

About the only thing it has going for it is that it is a more conventional design and built from balsa and ply as opposed to foam.

The bad news is, a bad crash will result in a major rebuild, whereas with foam, a repair is often only some epoxy and/or duct tape
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
northernseal

@minnflyer. Thanks again.I read that the ground handling of the sky fly max sucks, and I am assuming that it is good in the nexstar mini. Is this something that I should care about as a beginner?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
northernseal

thanks for all the help guys. Just ordered the sky fly max for 140$ from tower hobbies. Should be fun.... Now just gotta wait for spring LOL. Nothing but snow here now.