RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

12FGA or the 12Z?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 12FGA or the 12Z?

I am in the market to buy a new transmitter to upgrade from my Futaba 9C. I was wondering if anyone owns or have used both the 12FG and the 12Z? I'm leaning toward the 12Z. Money is not the problem, but I want to make sure I would be happy if I went with the 12FG and not the 12Z. Is the 12Z worth the extra money? I don't fly competition but am getting into a lot of 3D stuff. I have seven airplanes and want to go 2.4 and be able to use the 2048 resolution the new radios and receivers put out. I do fly often, and I think I read somewhere that the throttle on the 12Z is adjustable with the ratchet feeling among several other great features. Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 12FGA or the 12Z?

Well, I have two 12Zs. My friend has a 12FG. He is upgrading this month to a 12Z.

Both have worked well, programming flexibilty is stellar.

Gimbal/Stick quality in the 12z is apparent, with a additional cost.

You would be making an excellent choice with either.

I would have done a 14MZ, but I am not a fan of touch screens. The toggle/dial function of both the 12FG and 12Z is excellent, very functional and works very well. For me, it is a bit quicker when programming to use the dial and toggle than the touch screen.

Just my dime.

FLPilot
Punta Gorda, FL
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Like I said, I'm leaning toward the 12Z. The only thing that has me a little concerned about the whole upgrade is the programing involved with a new radio. I'm talking about flight conditions, modes etc. I understand the manual isn't the greatest for acutally trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish. The 9C is so simple, I guess I'm already feeling a little intimidaded.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No need for fear.

Frankly, with an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish and the fundamentals of the airframe control functions, I found it to be pretty straight forward.

I programmed everything for my 100cc MX2 except for the dual rates without ever reading any documentation.

Dual rates were not difficult, just took a bit of reading and assistance here. Programming mixes is a snap. Throttle down is great. Timers cannot be beat for flexibility. The abilility to assign all controls/switchs to most anything is fantastic.

The programming flexibility is quite amazing. Its the best I have seen.

Just my dime.

FLPilot
Punta Gorda, FL
Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This question was posted in the Futaba Direct Support Forum. Since it's not a discussion forum, and the question doesn't deal with support issues, we've moved it to the General Radios Forum.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
CustomPC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a 12FG and wish i had a 12Z.

The 12FG is a great radio and highly capable but it occasionally baffles me in it's complexity.

From what i've read in the 12Z manual and the brief exploration on a clubmate's 12Z it appears to me that the 12Z is just as capable but the programming structure is easier to use and not as complicated. It also has better gymbals and a LiIon battery.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a 12FG and I'm trying to figure out how to disable my steering servo when the gear switch is up, but I'm stumped...help!!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This may help. It is the first in a series of videos to help with the programming of the new radios.

I own a 14M and love it. However, if I was buying a new Futaba radio today I would get the 12Z. The TX is a bit smaller and lighter and it has 99.9999% of the programming of the 14MZ. Save some money but get all the features in a bit easier to handle package. What could be better??

http://www.futabarc.com/gallery/classroom.html
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Silent-AV8R

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

I have a 12FG and I'm trying to figure out how to disable my steering servo when the gear switch is up, but I'm stumped...help!!

You can do it a few different ways. I would plug the steering servo into its own channel. Set a mix up between rudder and steering. Then use the gear switch to turn the mixing on and off. Gear down, mixing on. Gear up, mixing off.

Another way to do it is to use a condition. Again activated by the gear switch. In the gear down condition, steering works, in up it is off. Lots of ways to do it.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 12Z is what i bought and i would never hesitate to buy it again.
as mentioned, the stick assemblies alone make the difference for me along with all the other parameters for several things i don't see in the FG.
i've been flying RC since i was a kid in the late 60's and i have never enjoyed a Tx near as much as i do the 12Z.

one feature i really like is the alarm and being able to adjust the volume on it.
but the navigation of the menus and sub menus is just plain simple.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:03 AM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

You can do it a few different ways. I would plug the steering servo into its own channel. Set a mix up between rudder and steering. Then use the gear switch to turn the mixing on and off. Gear down, mixing on. Gear up, mixing off.

Another way to do it is to use a condition. Again activated by the gear switch. In the gear down condition, steering works, in up it is off. Lots of ways to do it.
Being a former JR guy, I was looking at the mix 'path', so I may try that again. I know my problem is mostly just getting used to Futaba programming.

I had not considered tieing it into a condition. That's an interesting option since I usually program in a condition for takeoff and landing.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, I have a question that I hope you can give me your opinion on. I have a 72MHz 12ZAP running synthesized receivers. Am I better off upgrading to 2.4Ghz module? Since Futaba only sells a 14Ghz module I wonder about the cost of paying for 2 channels that I cannot use. I've heard all the virtues of 2.4Ghz but I'm still wondering....

David
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 AM
woodie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tomcat_104,

The 12Z is actually a 14 channel TX. 12 proportional channels and 2 digital channels if you are running in PCM or 2.4 mode. The 12FG is the same configuration.

Woodie
Team Acme LG
Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 PM
forrest gump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the extra trims on the 12fg.this allows me to assign any extra surfaces to a trim for fine tuning..I dont think the 12z has these unless i am mistaken...fg.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Howard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: forrest gump

I like the extra trims on the 12fg.this allows me to assign any extra surfaces to a trim for fine tuning..I dont think the 12z has these unless i am mistaken...fg.
Good point and I believe you are correct. The 12Z has built in features to handle multi engine planes and the 12FG does not, which may or may not be important to the actual user. What I find interesting is that this conversation has been started and discussed many times which seems to say how come these two radios are so similar in features and seem to be competitors within the same brand. Everyone is asking the same question. Seems unusual to me. I started with the 14mz and ended with the 12Z and it has to be my all time favorite radio and I have owned all of them. I wish somone had the silver bullet and could tell all of us the criteria to use that would decide when to get the 12FG or when to get the 12Z. I am beginning to think that the desired rationale does not exist. They are both so similar, look at the limited difference in features and get the one that will make you happy. Everyone who gets either radio is a winner.

Howard
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Tomcat_104

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Howard, I just want to make certain here: your 12Z is a 2.4GHz isn't it? Was it "converted" from a 72Mhz radio or did you purchase it as a 2.4?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
woodie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no difference in a 12Z converted to 2.4G from 72mhz and one that was purchased as a 2.4G.

Woodie
Team Acme LG
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Tomcat_104

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info Woodie. It's my son who actually has the 12ZAP, I know now one more thing I can get him for Christmas, thanks to you. I find out so much here on RCU and it has been my pleasure to meet a lot of nice people here. I had a massive stroke and can no longer fly but I can still enjoy the sport and can still build much more slowly now. Thanks again! AND Merry Christmas guys!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
woodie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

David, you are very welcome and Happy Holidays to you and your family!!

Woodie
Team Acme LG
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Howard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104

Howard, I just want to make certain here: your 12Z is a 2.4GHz isn't it? Was it ''converted'' from a 72Mhz radio or did you purchase it as a 2.4?
I puchased the 2.4ghz version which I believe is the same as the original version just plug in the 2.4 module and update the software and they are identical as far as I know. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Be sure that your son downloads the latest version of the software for the 12Z and uploads it to his radio.

Howard
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Tomcat_104

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Howard, I'll have him download the software after Christmas. Too cold and windy to go flying here anyway. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. Can you motorize a sleigh and fly it without wings or do you still need reindeer to make it go?