Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FUTABA 14MZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Kupfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUTABA 14MZ

I'm thinking of buying one of these bad boys.

Any feedback? Is it as good and bling as people say it is? Is FUTABAplaning a replacment for it any time soon?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 AM
aussiesteve

Default RE: FUTABA 14MZ

Well, I just reently made the move to one from "another brand"

I asked pretty much the same questions and there was a resounding "YES" to the good and bling and a resounding "NO" to the likelihood of it being outdated any time soon (in RC terms).

I am still geting used to the Futaba way of thinking when setting up (The 14mz is my first ever Futaba TX)but other than that (which is my problem - not the radio) I would say it is even better than I was hoping for.
I have even loaded a tune into it with a title of "why don't you all @@@@@ off" that my son gave me - kinda pleasing to play that on a busy flight line
I would say it is the nicest radio I have ever had and I have had a JR 12x (V2 with the inbuilt 2.4G) for a direct comparison.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

I've had a 14MZ since March 2005. I cannot imagine programming a plane with any other radio, except one with the same basic programming features like the 12 and 12FG. To be perfectly honest, unless you are in love with the idea of using sounds and music along with photos for your planes I would suggest the 12 instead. It is a smaller and lighter TX and I like the way it feels. It does everything the 14MZ does and only differs by having a different user interface. But either way, great radios.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned the new 2.4 ghz JR 12X, the 14mz and the 12z. I believe that I had a very strong handle on the 12X programming, it was a solid radio for me; but, it does match the unbelievable flexibility of the 12z and 14mz. The 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ are really close when it comes to programming and capability unless you may want to fly multi engine planes and if so then the 12FG does not provide the needed features. The 12z and 14mz are essentially the same radio with the 14 mz having the ability to playback stored audio and video and the capability for the user to change switch locations and switch types whereas the 12z has to be returned to the service center. The 14 mz is physically bigger and heavier than the 12z. The 14mz has a color touch screen which is very large which provides huge amounts of information and programming options on a single screen - very helpful. I found the color screen hard to read in the sun unless you turned to have the sun at your back. The programming of these radios is very different than JR. The manual for the 12Z and 14mz are essentially the same and in most cases a word for word equivalent - the manual is the worst manual of all RC radios sold in this country (I have read all of them) and appears to be a Japanese translation of the real Japanese version of the 12z/14mz manual. It took me a lot longer to learn the programmnig that I thought it would but, once I got I realized that it was really very straight forward and actually easy to program. It also becomes clear that you can do anything you want to and in most cases you can do it a number of different ways. I don't know of any radio presently sold in this country with comparable programming capabilities. I enjoy using good tools and equipment and the 12z and 14mz are right up there in that arena. My hands are not large and I did find the 14mz bigger than I preferred so at the end of the tunnel I chose to retain my 12z and I like it better than any radio I have ever had, used or helped someone with. If my hands were just a bit bigger I would still have my 14mz and I am hoping that Futaba has a newer, smaller model in the works to some day go to the head of the line.

I should add that I have also owned several Futaba 9c's and JR 9303 radios. The new Futaba 10C is just a 2.4 version of the 9C and is not in the same league with the 12FG, 12Z or 14MZ. The best written RC radio manual in the USA is the Airtronics SD-10G manual.

You are in for a wonderful experience with the 14mz happy flying.

Howard
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

Very nicely put Howard. Futaba/Hobbico has recently started a video series on programming the new radios Here is the first installment. Others are coming soon.

http://www.futabarc.com/gallery/classroom.html
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Kupfer

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Very nicely put Howard. Futaba/Hobbico has recently started a video series on programming the new radios Here is the first installment. Others are coming soon.

Great Video, Thanks............
Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
aussiesteve

One thing I am still trying to work out though

What is the point of being able to play back video on the screen?

The only answers I can think of are:
1 - It is for a future possibility to be able to fly "out of sight" with some sort of telemetry
2 - "Just because we can"

I was pointed to the Factory video a couple of days ago from a link on another forum. That would have to be the best kick start I have ever seen when it comes to learning the setup. I look forward to the next ones in the series.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

One thing I am still trying to work out though

What is the point of being able to play back video on the screen?
No point and it cannot do it. What the 14MZ can do is:

1 - Play music files or audio files like calling a sequence or doing a count down clock, etc.
2 - Associate short (3 sec) audio files with switches, etc. I have mine set to tell me what mix is on, what condition I just turned on, etc.
3 - Display a small bmp image of whatever you want where the small airplane/heli/glider shows on teh screen. A small photo of that plane or in my case a nice orange and black name of the that model. Makes it easy to ensure what plane you have set.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the most important differences between the 12Z and the 14MZ is the that on the 14MZ you have all the complete data for the conditions and mixing on the same page, where in the 12Z you have to go on three pages to access the same data, that makes it easier to program.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I've been happy with my 14MZ - I've had it for about 4 years now. I bought it about 1 year after they rolled out. It was a bitter pill to swallow at first. $$$ [:@]... Then again, I also use my 8UA still, and that radio is well over 14 years old. I hope to also use my 14MZ for quite a while. [8D]
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Thanks for the link good beginning video.

Howard
Old 12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Consider also the 14MZ is Futaba's flagship containing the best electronics available and they back it up 100%.

When mine was over two years old I sent it in because the touch screen was getting stubborn. Asked it be checked out.

Came back about ten days later. Work order said the touch screen was replaced (works like a charm), a daughter board and cable was replaced because the tech found a slightly cracked connector, and all control stick optical sensors (no electromechanical pots here) updated to newer versions.

Cost: none.

Although I don't use the 14MZ to its full capability (who does??) it is a classy piece of work, user updates and new features are added via software downloads, has a good hefty feel and will talk to you if you get lonely.