RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Replacing Futaba 8UHFS

Old 12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Remy
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Replacing Futaba 8UHFS

My old trusted Futaba 8UHFS transmitter has served me well for the past 10 years. Last week at the field, however, it started telling me a replacement was in order. First a switch broke. o big deal, this is the throttle cut/trainer switch, I can replace it easily.
Later that day, as I was about to taxi to the runway, the plane became unresponsive, the radio was "frozen", for lack of a better word. I had never seen this. LCD was on, but nothing was responsive, moving the sticks produced no effect, even the trim buttons didn't emit a beep sound, timer was also not moving. I had to power cycle the transmitter, and everything came back to life. A bit scary as the plane motor was running (at idle).

Anyway, I am considering getting a new transmitter, which seems to be a safe move at this point.

I am considering the T7C and 8FG. I would prefer to stick to Futaba, as I'd still be able to use my buddy box, and already have the cables (both for Din and micro connector).

Price difference is $200 between the 2 radios. What would I be missing if I go with the T7C.
Any solid reason to sped the $480 for the 8FG?

I fly sport planes and helis.

Thank you,
Remy
Old 12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Replacing Futaba 8UHFS

Unless you are ready to go 100% 2.4 the 8FG is out. While the 7C is a reliable radio it is long in tooth and NIB 72 channel selection is limited.

More money but the 10C provides the best of both worlds. Module based, it can use your existing module, or synthesized 9C or 10C 72 module or 2.4 module.

Latest technology (the 8FG is also but limited to 2.4), user updatable and has a nice big display.

Go online and compare the current features and consider the future updates.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Remy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you for the reply. At this point I am ready to consider a plunge to 2.4. I might buy a use 72Mhz radio for my old receivers.

So I am askig for feedback/info on the T7C vs. 8FG. The lack of analog module is not an issue.

I have read carefully reviews and manuals of both radios, and understand the 8FG can do more.
But in day-to-day usage, what do you guy use on the 8FG that would be missing in the 7C. If you're using the 7C, what do you wish you had?
Is 2048 resolution that big of a difference? How about BB supported sticks? Any programing of feature that is a must have?
How about trainer buddy box function? Is there a difference in the capabilities for this particular usage? I remeber back in the days, my friend had a 6ch computer radio, that was a pain for buddy box, you couldn't select the channels you wanted to give control.

Thanks,
Remy
Old 12-05-2010, 05:08 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Remy, I have both the Futaba 7C Fasst and 8FG Fasst systems. I have had the 7C for three years and the 8FG for a year. I bought the 8FG sytem because I ran out of memory with the 7C because it has only 10 plane slots. The 8FG has 20 plus basically unlimited with a plug in memory card. While I was quite happy with the 7C, I think the 8FG is a much better radio. Some of the things I like about the 8FG over the 7C are:

1. The 8FG is able to work with any of the Fasst receivers, while the 7C only works with 7 channel and below receivers.

2. The 8FG programming is much more flexible and powerful than the 7C.

3. With ball bearings on the the sticks, the 8FG seems to have smoother sticks when flying.

4. The 7C has only one 3 position switch while the 8FG has six of them. Also the 8FG has two sliders on the sides of the Tx which are missing on the 7C.

5. Model names on the 8FG are 10 characters long while the 7c names are only 6 characters long.

6. The 8FG's screen is larger and contains more useful information.

7. The 8FG is really a 10 channel radio like the 10C. It has 8 proportional channels and two digital (on/off) channels.

8. The 8FG's micro code can be updated by the user while with the 7C you must return it to Futaba for updates.

9. Finally, I just like the looks and feel of the 8FG tranmitter better than the 7C.

One thing to watch out for is that the 7C transmitter is powered by a 8 cell 9.6 volt battery while the 8FG (and 12FG) are powered by a 6 cell 7.2 volt battery. This means in certain 8FG buddy box configurations, you need a special cord to connect the two transmitters.

Bruce
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Remy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Bruce, this is very helpful.

I use a Futaba 4YF as buddy box. Do you know if it requires special cable, or can even serve as buddy box with 8FG? I looked in the manual, but can't figure it out. 8FG would be use as instructor, 4YF as student.

If I can't re-use my Futaba stuff for buddy box, I may as well consider the Hitec Aurora.
Comments?

Thank you,
Remy
Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Remy,

Have you considered sending your existing radio to a Futaba Service Centre or a repair shop like Radio South and have it serviced then get a module to upgrade to 2.4Ghz. This is what I did with my 8UAF, sent it to Radio South for a general tune up and service and it is working like new.

Karol
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm with karolh. Get it looked at, you'll still be selling it I assume if you upgrade, or keep it as a backup or for 72Mhz.

I have an 8U and 9C with 72, 2.4 Fasst and Spektrum modules. Best of all worlds.

If you must upgrade, get the most radio you can afford. Those BB sticks do work nice on the 8FG.

Ed
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Remy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you, this is a great idea. How much does it ususally cost to have it serviced?

Thanks,
Remy
Old 12-10-2010, 01:51 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not sure. Post to the Futaba service forum and ask a moderator. Sounds like it has an issue, so worth it to get it fixed IMO.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cost me about $45.00 at Radio South including shipping to have mine checked out and a broken switch replaced.

Karol
Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Remy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Karolh and others for this suggestion. I had not considred this option. I like the 8UHFS TX, it has served me well so far and I'd be happy to keep, granted I can feel confident it won't let me down suddenly while in flight.

So, you guys feel it is worth putting more money into trying to maintain this 10-year old TX? At what point do you decide/recommend replacement?

Thank you,
Remy
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Remy

So, you guys feel it is worth putting more money into trying to maintain this 10-year old TX? At what point do you decide/recommend replacement?
It all depends on you, if you like it and trust it why replace it? Keep it serviced and it will last many more years. If you want more radio, or just tired of the one you have, then replace it with something new.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Remy

Thank you Karolh and others for this suggestion. I had not considred this option. I like the 8UHFS TX, it has served me well so far and I'd be happy to keep, granted I can feel confident it won't let me down suddenly while in flight.

Thank you,
Remy
Remember that when it first came out the 8UA was one of Futaba's top models. I simply love my mine and though it's 13 years old, it does everything I need in a Tx and now that I have upgraded to 2.4 GHz with my recently acquired FrSky system I am as happy as ever. The 2.4 module fit the Futaba Tx perfectly and binding the Rx was a simple exercise. Can't wait to test fly the system, but so far on the ground it's been rock solid.

As Nute 12 suggested, if you want to buy a new radio then go ahead and do so, but if you really like your 8UA, then service it regularly and continue to enjoy it, as in 30 years my Futaba systems have never let me down in any major way. You asked when should a radio be replaced, well my 1979 Aero Sport 4 ch AM systems still work great ..... that's the best answer I can give, as it simply depends on you.

Karol