Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Experience of JR DMSS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Experience of JR DMSS

ORIGINAL: Zor

cloudniner

When one turns on a JR 12X with the 72 MHz module plugged in the radio scans the 72MHz band to see if the channel for that A/C is clear. If not it will warn you about the conflict. You can scan the entire band if you wish and see what is in use. Then via software you could pick another channel. Most of the late model 72 MHz receivers are select scan so all you had to do was press a little button on the Rx and it would match the Tx frequency. This was nice if one of the channels had a bunch of users. Just switch to another. The big disadvantage was that you had to remember to change the freq. pin or else.

Multiplex was the first Tx I owned that had a frequency scanner as an optional extra. This was a nice feature till the 2.4 thing started.
Thank you cloudniner for your explanation.

I have a JR XP7202 which is a synthesized radio but it does not scan.

I have to find a clear (unused) radio channel and set it myself.

I guess that the pluged module on 72 Mhz does the scanning since it would be (has to be ) a RF function.

Note: I also operate on 2.4 but I have no problem on 72 because I am the only fellow on that band when I go flying using the 72 Mhz band [img][/img] .

Thanks again,

Zor

Because each model of the 50 that can be saved in the 12X using a separate frequency this became my model match on 72MHz LOL. I just had to remember to pick the frequency pins I was using for each model.

Richard
MAAC 7965L
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When one turns on a JR 12X with the 72 MHz module plugged in the radio scans the 72MHz band to see if the channel for that A/C is clear. If not it will warn you about the conflict. . . .

If your 12XMV warns you of a frequency conflict, there is apparently a difference between your and my transmitters. I have one of the first units sold and there is no warning. If I remember to use the scanner before turning on the RF, it will inform me what other frequencies are in use. But that is all it will do. It will certainly not prevent me from turning on a frequency that’s already in use.

Allan

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
cloudniner

Allan

Sorry about that I guess I was thinking of the Multiplex. The 12X will not turn on the RF until a button is pressed which gives you the opportunity of checking the frequency first using the scanner.

I wish there was the same kind of feature with 2.4GHz but with hopping it is redundant as the whole 80 or so channels would be spattered.

Richard
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

XG-11 Users

Hello Guys,

<o></o>

Just released today

Nov 9, 2012

<o></o>

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/dl/details.php?hen=d0085&db_flg=eng_dl

<o></o>

New software update for the XG-11

Ver.0002-0004

Nov 9, 2012

<o></o>

Plus on the 3<sup>rd</sup> page of PDF guide

Trainer switch position change (only for USA mode 2 Radio)

Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
cloudniner

DON'T FORGET TO SAVE ALL THE MODELS IN THE TX TO THE SD CARD FIRST

Don't ask why I know this....

Some Advice
If you have never done this before and you have not yet used an SD card to save a model. My advice would be to insert the new card and save a model to it first. The radio will create the proper JR folder for you. This will also prove the radio is happy with your particular SD card.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 AM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

What cards are you guys using? The JR card? I can't find the JR card anywhere in the US.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:33 AM
cloudniner

This is what I use. Just about any of the name brand SD cards should work okay. Just do the save model first so that you know it is okay before doing an update.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. :-)

Merry Xmas to all...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+...&skuId=7956599
Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 AM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: cloudniner

This is what I use. Just about any of the name brand SD cards should work okay. Just do the save model first so that you know it is okay before doing an update.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. :-)

Merry Xmas to all...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+...&skuId=7956599

Thanks for the info cloudniner! I have been following the transmitter antenna placement of 45 degrees pointed down like JR directs, I assume you and most other DMSS users are doing the same?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 AM
cloudniner

Hi again

Yes I do follow the pointing down at 45 degrees. I make a lot of sense I think.

I am waiting for them to come out with a Powersafe type Rx for my large A/C. When that happens I will be very happy I switched to DMSS. I flew a number of A/C this past summer with the XG11 and I am very please with everything about the radio. The battery seems to last forever, the telemetry saved one of my favorite airplanes when the voltage went below 4.7V.

Richard
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether the antenna is pointed 45 up or down is going to depend on how you hold the transmitter. I hold my transmitter tilted upwards which would make the 45-degree-down antenna oriented horizontally. For my type of flying that is not good as the strongest signal off the antenna when the aircraft is overhead and the weakest signal when the aircraft is out in the distance and the antenna end is pointed at it. I prefer to angle the antenna 45 degrees up to have a strongest possible signal when the aircraft is out and away from me.

If you hold your transmitter flat, then the 45 degree down should work fine.

Allan

Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
cloudniner

Hi Allan

Yes you are right. I would feel naked without my neck strap which puts my Tx horizontal so the 45 degree thing works for me. I guess we are all different in the way we like things.

Richard
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I did some experements with a data logger and fairly large (4m) glider towed towed to the edge of where I could see it.

It made no difference where I pointed the antenna including straight at the model, to the numbers I got.

DSM2, DSMX, made no difference.

This was with my 11x and a JR921 reciever.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
cloudniner

One of the tests I did was to do a range check with the Tx antenna pointing at the model. I used the telemetry Rx voltage as the thing I was watching. With the Tx antenna pointing at the model I got about 500ft when the Rx battery voltage was lost. I then pointed the Tx antenna anywhere but straight at the model and the Rx voltage came back. I walked many more feet till I hit the bush and still had the signal. So after that my antenna never points at my models.

It seems the range we get with these 2.4 quality radios is quite a distance. I have a new Graupner MC20 that relays both strength and quality of the Tx and Rx signals in real time. I am anxious to try it out in the spring. This radio doesn't have an antenna like most it has a 'patch' antenna. Should be interesting.