Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lipo and my 9Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 AM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo and my 9Cap?

Just wanted to do my annual transmitter pack change but wanted to know if there ia a direct replacement lipo pack that will fit and not blow out my beloved Futaba 9C? 9.6 vs 11.1 could spell "problem". The reviews here are interesting. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7346
I dont want to do any soldering just plug and play. Any help is greatly appreaciated.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Lipo and my 9Cap?

I've been running a Lithium Ion pack in my 9CHP for 3 years with no noticiable ill effects.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 AM
TOFAST4U2C

Great news, which battery pack? And after a full charge what does the transmitter show on the screen for volts. Any step down device or adapter? Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I have a 9C as well; interested in changing the battery to Lipo; do you have to remove the battery from the radio to charge it, or can you charge it in the radio using the factory charge port?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a 9CAP and I used a 3cell LiPo in mine. If the battery has a Balancing Tap, you at least have to take off the Battery Cover to charge it. I use LiPos in all my Tx's and I remove the battery to charge it. The thing is, the charge lasts so long, I do not have to do it very often.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

This is the one I use, I prefer Ion over Polymer btw, no chance of puffing it if you leave it on by accident.

http://www.rremodels.com/infina-iontransmitterpack.aspx

I just charge it at 1 amp through the transmitter charge port. The poly switch will open if there's a problem and close when it cools off without popping any fuses.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
br@m

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

Just wanted to do my annual transmitter pack change but wanted to know if there ia a direct replacement lipo pack that will fit and not blow out my beloved Futaba 9C? 9.6 vs 11.1 could spell ''problem''. The reviews here are interesting. http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7346
I dont want to do any soldering just plug and play. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

I have been running exactly that Rhino Tx pack in my T9C for well over a year now with no problem at all, works great.

The only disadvantage is you have to open the Tx back for balanced charge. Since I always charge balanced I never tried charging over the built in charge port.

I replaced the JR plug with 2mm gold connectors for charging.

After a full charge the display shows 12,6V (obviously), this quickly drops to 12,5. From 12,5 to 11,5 takes some 3 hours of use.

The low-voltage alarm of the 9C is just right (9,5V) for 3S so you don't need to worry in case you leave the 9C powered on, it wil begin to beep long before the cells become puffed.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Ok, went with the Rhino 2620mAh 3s Lipo and a Step-Down Voltage Regulator just to be safe. Hope me and my 9cap will be happy.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many friends in my club are all running the 3S Lipo with great success (9C, 10C, 9303/5 etc). I always take it out of the tx to charge but I only have to do that 3-4 times a year. We have been doing this for about 5 years and not a single issue with anybody's tx.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:40 AM
TOFAST4U2C

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Many friends in my club are all running the 3S Lipo with great success (9C, 10C, 9303/5 etc). I always take it out of the tx to charge but I only have to do that 3-4 times a year. We have been doing this for about 5 years and not a single issue with anybody's tx.
Joe
Does anyone step down the voltage with a regulator plug? I spoke to Futaba and they were dead set against going above the 9.4 and 11.4 max.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort Many friends in my club are all running the 3S Lipo with great success (9C, 10C, 9303/5 etc). I always take it out of the tx to charge but I only have to do that 3-4 times a year. We have been doing this for about 5 years and not a single issue with anybody's tx.
ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2CJoeDoes anyone step down the voltage with a regulator plug? I spoke to Futaba and they were dead set against going above the 9.4 and 11.4 max.
UnregulatedLipo in Futaba TX - contributes to failure of RFOutput Transistor.
Batteries_Lithium Polymer - Do Not Use 3S Lipo in Transmitters - especially JR & Hitec.
3S Lipo pack burns Transmitter Module

Batteries_Lithium Polymer - Why & How to add Diodes to Reduce Lipo Voltage with pictures
(tip: Read following page re amendment to soldering)

more under sub Section :
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.