Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 Receiver Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:05 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Receiver Batteries

My A123 pack requires the GP adapters. Each adapter has connections for 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S, and 6S packs.

There was a battery expert named Red Scholefield, that has a website called Red's Battery Clinic.

http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html

He knows quite a bit about batteries.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A123 batteries can be built into the airframe if you choose. They do not have to be balance charged at each recharge either, however if they are charged at 1C or greater it is advisable to balance charge.These batteries do not catch fire in the event of a charge problem, hence they are safe to build into the airframe.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
BuschBarber

There are extensions for the balance tap so you can connect the charger outside the plane
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can also be balance charged through a heavy duty switch/charge harness that is DSC capable. I have Radical RC make my packs with a 20g sero lead, the signal wire is connected to the node of the battery. Just remember to cut the signal lead on the lead to the receiver!
I use the FMA Multi 4, this allows me to set a lower charge rate (2A) so that the servo connector does not get heated up while charging. I have a 3' 20g female servo lead spliced to FMA balance connector, so I just plug the charger directly into the charge jack built into the switch harness, works like a charm[8D]
Pete
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Clay Walters

Well I checked out the Red's site and now think I stumbled onto it a few years ago when researching NIMH batteries. This is the manual for my charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/ACCUCEL_manual(2).pdf It doesn't specify the balance port connector by name but from what I can tell on Red's site it would be a generation 1 type of charger.

All this various connection mumbo jumbo wears me down and I wouldn't know a DSC if it bit me. Have been planning my first gasser and started down this A123 path while exploring what an IBE was. Having thoughts about selling this little DLE and just sticking with glow and my NIMH's because of all the crap you seem to need to utilize these more sophisticated chemistries.

Bummer.

Think I'll let the dust settle for a tad,

Clay
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
TimBle

what new equipment needed to utilise the new chemistries? Just a charger and there are plenty of those around.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Clay Walters

Never had to concern myself with balance leads, type of connectors to the charger or the charge/switch jack. (The switch to Z-connector on RX batteries was easy though. ) Added to this was A123 to an IBE between jack and RX but permits single battery and TX controlled engine cutoff as well as regulates voltage to ignition. (of course I haven't had an ignition before either). Incase I use my standard NIMH on RX and a separate ignition battery I still will need a UBEC or regulator to keep at 6v or less.

My little glow engines and standard starter don't seem so troublesome now .

Still, I do want to give this gasser and A123 RX stuff a whirl just 'cause,

Clay
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I prefer not to use the cheap Switch Harnesses that come with the radios. I like the Heavy Duty DSC compatible switch harnesses with the molded in charging jack. Some are made more vibration resistant.
>
>
>
if you are using a Voltage Regulator between the Switch Harness and the Rx, you cannot Bind through the Switch Harness.
I am wondering why not ?
I am trying to visualize the circuitry.
The regulatorwould inserts only in the power wires as no power voltage would exist or should exist on the signal wire if that wire is present.

One switch harness I have has 3 wires on all connectors.
The binding jumper goes to the charging connector.
There is no voltage to ground (common) on the signal wire

The voltage regulator can be bypassed with wires from the receiver connector to a connector installed on the fuselage.

I got curious about this harness switch so I opened it.
Nothing better than knowing what we are playing with.

I was quite surpise of what I saw. It is a double pole doublle throw switch and quite ruggedly built inside. I would think that it can easily carry more than 10 amperes.

The ground (common) wires are soldered together and are not switched.
The signal wires are soldered togeher and are not switched.

Only the live center wire (red) is being switched and is using both set of contacts for reliability.
I am quite satisfied with its ruggedness and the double contact idea.

Now ___just thinking ___if a voltage regulator was connected between the switch and the receiver and only involves the common and the power leadand the signal wire would simply pass through the regulator WITHOUT any contact to the regulator circuitry (and there is no need for that) then there is possibility of using the binding jumper on the charging connector.

Well ___no one can claim I am not having lots of fun.
The switch is back into the system and would you believe all is working beautifully.

Zor

Editing to add the pics one by one.

NOTE: My camera does not focus sharply closer than about 4 inches.
You may see better what I wrote by magnifying the pic on your monitor.
I can see very well here at 200% magnification (double size) after using the full size button in the pic.
One thing the pics are confirming is that I am not talking through my hat .
I did look inside that switch. Do you believe me ? Ha Ha ... joking.

End
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24859.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1542808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35868.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1542809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53953.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1542810  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
BuschBarber

I like to spend more time flying than trying to figure out why a Voltage Regulator can prevent Binding. It sounds like you like to tinker around instead of flying. Go buy a voltage regulator, a DSC compatible Switch Harness, and prove it to yourself. Once you do that, you can then figure out why you cannot Bind with the Voltage Regulator in between.

Forget the your Logic and accept the Facts, at least for a few threads.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Zor
Banned

I like to spend more time flying than trying to figure out why a Voltage Regulator can prevent Binding. It sounds like you like to tinker around instead of flying. Go buy a voltage regulator, a DSC compatible Switch Harness, and prove it to yourself. Once you do that, you can then figure out why you cannot Bind with the Voltage Regulator in between.

Forget the your Logic and accept the Facts, at least for a few threads.
Hi my friend BuschBarber,

Have you noticed that my postings are not sarcastic ?

I am glad you fly all winter in your neck of the woods.
Here I do little flyng in the winter although I have my Skybolt (Skibolt__)on skis.
Did you see the pictures ?

I will not buy a regulator nor a DSC compatible switch and spend money when my friend BuschBarber can simply tell me why.

I am anxious to read all about it.

Incidentally, the facts are always logical when we know what is gong on .
Of couse we do not have to know what is going on to enjoy flying .
The search for knowledge is only another aspect of this fine hobby.

i am curious now how you keep your fingers warm.

Zor
Old 01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
BuschBarber

If you are not trying to be sarcastic, you appear to be failing at that. If I thought that you really wanted to find the answers to your questions I would spend more time with you but it appears that you are just looking for ways provoke responders into demeaning you and then acting like you are the innocent victim.

If your Logic is not helping explain why the things we are telling you are true and you are not willing to verify what we are telling you then you are not really interested in the answer at all.

This is not Logical. I would not return to the planet Vulcan anytime soon.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

If you are not trying to be sarcastic, you appear to be failing at that. If I thought that you really wanted to find the answers to your questions I would spend more time with you but it appears that you are just looking for ways provoke responders into demeaning you and then acting like you are the innocent victim.

If your Logic is not helping explain why the things we are telling you are true and you are not willing to verify what we are telling you then you are not really interested in the answer at all.

This is not Logical. I would not return to the planet Vulcan anytime soon.
Rich, don't let him drag you down to his level.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
BuschBarber

Thanks!!

He invades so many threads that I subscribe to and some people actually think he is sincere.

I learned my lesson.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
aerofly0610

well to be fair gents,,,, tinkering is why we have what we have (i believe this is called research and development). It it wasn't for someone asking why? We wouldn't have many things we take for granted... cars, airplanes, soap, HVAC, etc etc..... There are many people that don't care how something works, they just want it to work. When it doesnt work then they have to go to the people that know how it works... i.e. the tinkerers.

Regardless of what Zor's intentions are, he does pose some good questions. Why doesnt XX work with XX? Is it a design flaw? Can it be modded? Is there a work around? Is it simply physics?

Even if he means it as a insult, why take it personally and get defensive? Just say sorry I don't know the answer to that. To me he appears to be what is called a critical thinker. Dont take that as an insult, even if others dont function that way.

There are sooo many options to power R/C airplanes. I think this thread is intended to explore them, not say this way or else ill have a tantrum. Every component in these systems have different tolerance, advantages and disadvantages. Why not ruminate on this in a civil way?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

Never had to concern myself with balance leads, type of connectors to the charger or the charge/switch jack. (The switch to Z-connector on RX batteries was easy though. ) Added to this was A123 to an IBE between jack and RX but permits single battery and TX controlled engine cutoff as well as regulates voltage to ignition. (of course I haven't had an ignition before either). Incase I use my standard NIMH on RX and a separate ignition battery I still will need a UBEC or regulator to keep at 6v or less.

My little glow engines and standard starter don't seem so troublesome now .

Still, I do want to give this gasser and A123 RX stuff a whirl just 'cause,

Clay
I see what you mean. Tis true there is a little more complexity involved. However, I have been told by the local Hyperion people that because the Rx packs are 2cell, they do not need to be balanced charged every charge as long as you keep the charge current to around 1C.
At the end of the day its a choice. There is no pressure to change to LiFePO4/A123 but when the time is right and you do change over you won't look back.