RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

gyros??????

Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 AM
chrisp32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default gyros??????

ok i know that Gyros are usually used in hellis however i have seen them used in a few planes. i have never known what they actually do and how they are beneficial. how do they work what all is there to know about them, the main reason for the interest now is because i have a big build planned for the near future and although i know it will take a while i want to have a plane for everything lol we know how that will go eh, but i have been reading build threads of the plane i am going to build and noticed a gyro in a few of the pictures. thanks in advance for all information and advice.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: gyros??????

I would think you would want to avoid them.
There is a difference between using a computer radio with mixes to enhance your control of your aircraft, and using a gyro. The gyro takes over and does the job for you.
Some use a gyro to hold the heading during the ground run of the take off since its hard to tell when the aircraft deviates from its path when you have to view it from the side. But then it has to be turned off once the A/C is airborne. If you could get directly behind the A/C you wouldn't need it.
I have a friend that used it as a training aid when he was learning to hover.
I think if you spent the time needed to practice, that you would spend learning to use the gyro, you would be just as well off.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gyros sense rotation about an axis and output a signal thats sent to a servo to oppose that rotation. They also have firmware thats smart enough to know that when you move the stick on that axis you want to rotation. The quality (read that price) of the gyro depends on how well the firmware achieves all this. Crappy gyros fight the control inputs as well.

Anyhow, some folks put them on the rudder axis (and others) to help tame takeoff rolls etc.

My personal feeling is that if you "need" a gyro then you're probably flying something outside your skill set and need more practice but they can be fun to play with.

There's a 20 or so page thread on using gyros in airplanes, search "aircraft rudder gyro" that should get you there.

EDIT: For your convenience, here's the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM
chrisp32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the help that satisfies my curiosity and tells me that gyros kinda take away from flying in my opinion. just anted to understand a little better and now i do so thank you for the help i am definately not going to use one when i build my super decathlon. have a merry christmas guys