Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba T6XA / Flaperons / Flap adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 03:15 AM
KamikaziRcPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba T6XA / Flaperons / Flap adjustment

I recently assembled an Ultra Stick 40. I installed four separate servos in the wing even though I only have a six channel radio. I plan to upgrade soon to an 8 or nine channel radio.

In the meantime, I've connected the wing servos in pairs using y-adapters so that they act as two wide ailerons. I was programming my radio tonight and noticed that after I activated flaperons and the flap trim knob, the flaps are not at 0 degrees (even with the wings) when the knob is at one end of its' travel. I was expecting that when the knob was rotated all the way in one direction that the flaps would be neutral, and when the knob was rotated the other way, the flaps would progress downwards. The way it is now, I have to center the flap knob to get the flaps even with the wing.

I experimented with the flap trim setting, but all it did was to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the flap knob. It doesn't make sense that I would have to look at the knob to know if the flaps were neutral or not. I was wanting to know by feel alone.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Each channel on your transmitter has a range of movement. Channels such as ailerons are spring-loaded to the center of movement. When you mix flaps so that they can also act as ailerons, the flap channel needs to move both ways, so they are centered when the stick is in neutral.

The flap knob controls the entire range from one extreme to the other, and so the center is the neutral position when they are being used with the ailerons. Otherwise, you'd have no travel in one direction.

If you set the flaps as flaps only, then you can adjust the linkage so that the flaps are up when the knob is at one extreme.

The 6XA transmitter is somewhat limited with what you can do, so you're stuck with the operation you have. A more advanced transmitter would allow you to customize a mix with an offset so that you could have a knob or slider have flaps up at one extreme of the control's movement.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:02 PM
tvap

I am having similar problem with spoilerons on glider. If I use flap know, then those spoilerons work as flaperons too. And there is no way to tell when the flap knop is at it's center without looking down.

I was thinking that it could be possible to physically center the control surface when knob is at end of it's travel. Of course there have to be enough travel for the aileron to turn to both directions.

tepa
Old 08-05-2003, 02:10 AM
maxim_jd

Do you guys need proportional control of the surfaces? If not, why not use the Airbrake function. I have it set up to act as spoilerons on my UCD. Just a simple throw of the switch and you have your flaps or spoilers. Only drawback is that it's an on/off function. Works for me, but everyone is different.