Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Do I need a voltage regulator for reciever.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM
threefingers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a voltage regulator for reciever.

Green on electrics. I have a ultra lite that has a 7.5volt motor and want to use a 2.4 futaba reciever off the same power source but believe they are 6 volt max. Do I need a voltage reg to connect the receiver to the same battery? It is a matter of weight as the plane is just a foamy.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do I need a voltage regulator for reciever.

It is not wise to exceed the max voltage rating of an electronic device.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do I need a voltage regulator for reciever.

In general, it is the servos you use that limit your voltage choices. You can check the specs on your Futaba Rx to be sure, but many people these days are using High Voltage (HV) servos and running them, unregulated, at 8.4v, which is the voltage of a fully charged 2cell LiPo Rx pack. Most of my servos support 6v, with only Retract Servos that only support 5v. Many Rx's will support voltages higher than 6v.

If you are talking an RC electric model, you would most likely be using an Electronic Speed Controller (ESC), which contains a Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC). The BEC divides the voltage from the battery between the Motor and the Rx. Usually, the BEC limits the Rx voltage to 4.8v unless you have a more expensive BEC, where the voltage can be adjusted, manually. If you are using a 7.5v battery source, is it a 2cell LiPo (3.7v per cell, nominal, and 4.2v per cell, fully charged, or is it so other kind of battery?