RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2 rx for planes

Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
dreid
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2 rx for planes

Some time ago I saw something about a builder of a Fokker DVII, (I think) that used a radio for the top wing that included the 2 servos, rx, and battery pack with a switch so he did not have to worry about hiding wires in the cabane structure. He also had a complete system in the fuselage to operate the elevator, rudder and throttle. Any ideas where I may find the info or has anyone else done something similar?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 2 rx for planes

Dave - I do not know if you are into 2.4Ghz, yet, but I have read about a number of modelers using multiple Rx's to make assembly and disassembly of aircraft much easier. Paul Weigand has done this several times. With the short antennas used by 2.4 Rx's it is even easier.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

giant scale guys do it alot just for redundency. I set up my 33% extra with dual rx's, switches and batteries. has 2 servos on each aileron and the rudder and one on each ele halve.
The way i set it up is one rx powers one servo in each aileron, rudder and ele . the other powers the other servo. put the throttle and choke on one rx, engine kill and smoke on the other. the hope being if i ever have a total failure on on side i can atleast keep it from turning into a lawn dart....or turn it into a lawn dart if its headed at somthing I really do not want it to hit.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 AM
BuschBarber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the idea Dave is talking about is the ability to disassemble his aircraft without having to unplug all the servo connections from one Rx. If you have two or more Rx's, you can place them such that when you take the plane apart, the servos are still connected to the Rx in each part of the aircraft. In the case of 2.4, you can Bind each Rx, one at a time, to the same Tx.

If you are using 72Mhz, you have to deal with the placement of the long antenna wires, as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I think the idea Dave is talking about is the ability to disassemble his aircraft without having to unplug all the servo connections from one Rx. If you have two or more Rx's, you can place them such that when you take the plane apart, the servos are still connected to the Rx in each part of the aircraft. In the case of 2.4, you can Bind each Rx, one at a time, to the same Tx.

If you are using 72Mhz, you have to deal with the placement of the long antenna wires, as well.
sorry should have made it clearer.... I meant that running totally separate rx systems on the same plane was not only possible, but fairly common.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 AM
dreid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen many posts about redundant rx setups in airbatic planes and such, so I know it can be done. With some of the WWI planes, it is difficult to hide the aileron wire extention from the rx that goes to the wing. A completely seperate system with switch and all would be great. Just bolt the wing on, turn on the switch and go fly. I just wanted to know if there were any inherent problems I should be aware of with doing a setup this way. With 2.4, are there problems with binding 2 seperate rx to the tx so when you turn on the tx both rx recognise the tx? With the systems on 72, the long antenna just needs to be run thru a nylon tube going the span of the wing.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM
BuschBarber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I mentioned before, with 2.4, you just go through the Bind process, one at a time, for each Rx, and they will all work with the same Tx. Just remember that you only have the number of channels available that any one Rx has. If you have two or three 9ch Rx's, you only have 9 channels to work with. You also have to decide where to place the Satellite Rx's for each Main Rx, at least with JR/Spektrum.

The same is true with 72Mhz except there is no Bind process to go through, just antenna routing.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM
dreid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys.