Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did I screw up my TX when I shorted the diod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:03 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I screw up my TX when I shorted the diod?

I have a Futaba 6 AX and shorted the diod. It works great, and I can range check it from a good distance. But, I almost shot down somebodies 33% Cap. We know for sure since I will also affect his Bipe. Both of his planes are on 43. I am on 35. Another pilot had 24 and was not affected.

Did I screw the TX when I soldered the diod, or did the crystal just go? Or???

BTW, we never had this trouble before.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just shorting out the diode in the charging circuit should have no effect on the frequency stability of the transmitter. You could have other problems or, the other guy could be having a receiver problem. There is no easy way to test yours other than to see if it also bothers other receivers on the same frequency as the one experiencing the problem. If all types of substitutions does not solve the problem, you could have your transmitter returned to the manufacturer or a repair shop (perhaps Radio South) and have it checked out.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Should I replace the crystal? The closest I found was for a HiTec receiver.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:23 PM
strato911

NEVER SWAP TRANSMITTER CRYSTALS... especially between manufacturers.

It is illegal in North America to change the transmitter crystal without sending the transmitter in to a service center for re-tuning. If you use a manufacturer certified replacement crystal on the EXACT same channel (to replace a defective crystal), than you are probably legal (this is a grey area), but I would recommend sending your Tx in for re-tuning and general check-up if you suspect a defective crystal.

Also, receiver crystals and transmitter crystals are not the same, so you can't use Rx crystals in a Tx and expect it to work.