Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Throttle cut for DX 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:22 AM
richardgerardi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cut for DX 7

Hi
I am using my DX7 Spectrum and would like to know how to use the trainer switch to cut the throttle. I have used the gear switch as a cut but the plane I am using this radio with has retracts. I know how to set my 2.4 futaba but not this radio. Thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Throttle cut for DX 7

As you may know, Spektrum included a Throttle Cut like function using the Throttle Trim. I personally hate it. Any other method would involve the use of a Programmable Mixer. You have probably done this with the Gear Switch.

I have not physically done this myself, but I have a friend who has programmed his DX7 to allow the use of the Trainer Switch to adjust the Fuel Mixture on his RC Boat. If that can be done, I am sure you can set up a program to use that switch for Throttle Cut, as well.

There are other threads on this subject if you search.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM
richardgerardi

Hey Busch
I used the aux2 switch for the cut lets see how it works. On futabas you can use the trainer switch easily. Thanks for the info
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
BuschBarber

It is interesting how different radio manufacturers make decisions on what programming to include with their radios.

With Futaba 8AUPS and 9CAP, it was easy to do Throttle Cut and Ailevator, for example, but it is hell to try and put Flaps on a Switch.
With my JR XP9303, Flaps on a 3 position switch is the default.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this matter of assigning switches, I initially thought that most any function could be assigned to a switch.and I interpreted this as meaning a mechanical switch mounted on the case (toggle switches).

I quickly learned that "assigning a switch" actually meant "making a pre-selected switch active or inhibitted. Inhibited meanig that it does nothing.

Many functions can be controlled by a mechanical switch mounted on the transmitter case but in most instances the switch involved has been preselectedby the software.

There is the odd case for example that the trainer switch can be selected but only one or the other to make it convenient for right handed or left handed people.

I also quickly found that when the text is referring to"a switch" it is not always evident that theyare often referring to a "software switch".

No surprise that lots of tinkering is often the onlysolution and coming to the forum to ask questions is a common practice.

Zor

Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM
BuschBarber

When the programming, in a RC Radio, refers to a Switch, it is a Mechanical Switch, either a Momentary Switch, 1, 2, or 3 pole switch, or a Rocker Switch. It refers to a Knob as a Knob and a Lever is a Lever. There are Rocker Switches, on either side of the antenna, on the DX7. They can also be a Digital Trim or it can be assigned to do other things in a Programmable Mix. As you move up to higher end radios, many times, all the switches and levers can be assigned to any channel or function.

A software switch is usually a parameter you change the value for. I have not seen any reference to a software switch in any RC Radio manuals.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Zor
Banned

Further to my post #5 ___
Some explanations of my understanding.

Note that I am not looking for agreements or disagreements to the way I see and understand things.

I am simply explaining the way I personally understand these things.
Anyone can see and understand their own way.

Mechanical switches are quite obvious and have either ___
a lever (rod) that we can flip with our fingers or
a button that we can slideor depress wih a finger.

What I undestand as software switches is what happens when something is switched without the use of the mechanical switches or when a mechanical swich is used to create a switching of a function behavior. This might be better explained with examples ___

quoting page 53 of the DX7 instruction manual.
Reverse Switch
The Reverse Switch function allows electronic means of reversing the servo's throw.Servo reversing is available for all seven channels.

I consider the above "electronic means" as a switching of direction of the servo movement as being accomplished by the programmed software. A software switch.

Yes we do the selection or change the selection with depressing the adjust mechanical switch but it is not the mechanical key that acts on the servo. The mechanical key is telling the software to reverse the servo motion. What is being switched is the software command that acts on the servo.

Similarly when we select a function and change its behavior, we are switching to a different software location to accomplish the function differently. I consider these software switches.

If I change a function from being inhibited to become active, here again I see this as a software switch that has been turned on.

I will not play on words or play a game of semantics.
I am simply trying to make the general reader see my outlook. He / she is free to see his / her own way and use his / her own words.

I fail to see the setting of a value as a switching. I do not see that as a switching, I see it as an adjustment of that value in the memory location for that specific model aircraft.

Regards to all,

Zor

Edited by Zor to correctspelling errors.
Some may be remaining.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

Hi
I am using my DX7 Spectrum and would like to know how to use the trainer switch to cut the throttle. I have used the gear switch as a cut but the plane I am using this radio with has retracts. I know how to set my 2.4 futaba but not this radio. Thanks for the help
No doubt you have spent time trying to do this yourself.

I hope for you that someone will find time to experiment and if successfull will post how to do it.

In as much as I would like to help I regret not having time these moments.

Good luck,

Zor
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM
BuschBarber

Irregardless of the meaning of a Software Switch, Switch Assignments, in RC Radios, only refer to Physical Mechanical Switches located on the Front, Top, and Sides of RC Transmitters.

I am sure you are well meaning in this discussion but bringing up the topic of Software Switches is not relevant to the OP's question and just leads to confusion.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Irregardless of the meaning of a Software Switch, Switch Assignments, in RC Radios, only refer to Physical Mechanical Switches located on the Front, Top, and Sides of RC Transmitters.

I am sure you are well meaning in this discussion but bringing up the topic of Software Switches is not relevant to the OP's question and just leads to confusion.
Since no mechanical switch is by default assigned to cut the throttle; if it is feasable to assign that slide switch for that purpose it will have to be done by manipulating those software switches.

I do not thinkthere is anything confusing in my writing. .

Zor
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 AM
BuschBarber

By default, the Throttle Trim Lever is in fact assigned as the Throttle Trim Recovery (Pg 42 or the manual)(Spektrum's name for Throttle Cut). Once Throttle Recovery is enabled, in the System Menu, you follow the procedure outlined below:

1) With the engine running, set the Thottle Trim to the Idle position

2) When you want to Kill the engine, hold the Throttle Trim Lever down, until the Trim reaches Zero, without letting go of the Throttle Trim Lever. The engine will stop.

3) If you then push the Throttle Trim Lever up for half a second, the Throttle Trim will return to the Idle position you originally set

Many people do not like this method as it is Time Consuming and it is easy to let go of the Throttle Trim Lever and change the Idle Position set earlier.

Fortunately, the Programmable Mixers, that come with the DX7 programming, can be used to Assign a Switch to immediately Kill the engine with a flip of a switch. Most RC Radio Manuals do not cover the various uses of Programmable Mixers so you are left to your imagination as to how to use them to solve a problem like this.

All the OP wanted to know was if he could Assign Throttle Cut to the Trainer Switch. I explained to him how to do it.

You decided to pick this thread to talk about Software Switches, which have no relevance to the topic. Then, as usual, you went on the defense, to explain how you were not wrong.

Have a nice day!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You decided to pick this thread to talk about Software Switches, which have no relevance to the topic. Then, as usual, you went on the defense, to explain how you were not wrong.

Have a nice day!!
You got staying power Rich.... lol

For the OP; a throttle/throttle mix is what I used for throttle cut on the DX-7. I never tried the trainer switch as I prefer the location of the AUX2 switch for that function. JR/Spektrum is a bit restricted on what switch can be assigned to what mix on their tx's until you get to the 11X/12X radios where Futaba can go with any function to any switch. The only thing I can suggest is to first make sure the trainer function is not enabled and then look through the mixes on the DX-7 for possible switch assignments as different mixes have different switch access. IIRC, they are not really big on using the trainer switch for very many possible operations other than as a trainer switch so you may not get what you want. Suggest you refrain from using the last two mixes as those are the only ones with trim following and are typically used for things like dual elevator servos.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 AM
richardgerardi

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will stick to using that Aux 2 switch for now. I really like using the trainer switch on my other radios since it returns to the open position by the use of a spring. With this radio I hope to remember to open the trottle back up when starting it.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

I hope to remember to open the trottle back up when starting it.
You won't be the first one to forget, nor the last.... lol

I actually have two methods for remembering; my fiber optic kill switches on the gassers have a small red LED on the side of the fuselage indicating when the power is on and my JR 12X is set to warn if I turn it on with the throttle kill enabled. Until I did the last one, I still occasionally tried to start a model with the kill switch on as the litte red LED can be kind of hard to see in bright sun and the couple of glow models I still have around don't have ignitions so no light or ignition switch on those.

One other thought and my DX-7 is kind of buried back in the hobby room so I can't look at it right now, but on the bigger JR radios you can also use a throttle curve to achieve a throttle cut and I don't remember if the DX-7 has throttle curves for airplanes, you may want to take a quick look for that option.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Zor
Banned

>
>
>

All the OP wanted to know was if he could Assign Throttle Cut to the Trainer Switch. I explained to him how to do it.
>
>
Have a nice day!!
Hello BuaschBarber,

I have not seen your instructions how to accomplish whatrichardgirardi wanted to do.

I just reviewed the posts that you made in this thread. Posts #2, #4, #6, #9, and #11. I do not see any such instructions. Did you send them to him by PM or email ?

Please give us some directions where to find these instructions that you say you gave to him.
Will you kindly share with us ?

Have a nice day also.

Zor

Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Zor
Banned

>
>
>

Have a nice day!!
It was not a matter of decision and persoally I see lots of relevance as any attempt has to be done by software selection. What many refer to as "programming".

It was the obvious logic that, if it is possible to accomplish the desired results asked by richardgerardi, the only way to try to do it is by manipulating the selection of preprogrammed software and see if it is possible to assign the "traine/flap rocker switch" to control the throttle and fully close it to shut off the engine.

I understand some fellows have been able to assign the "aux 2 switch" . I do not know if they tried for the trainer switch. Thy did not say.

It takes quite a bit of time to fool around with this stuff.

Usual best regards from Zor.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM
BuschBarber

I stated that it could and has been done using one of the Programmable Mixers included with the DX7. I friend of mine recently used the Rocker Switch, on the Right side of the Antenna, to control the mixture for his RC Boat. The same principle can be used for Throttle Cut.

A quick call to Horizon would result in learning the exact steps to follow. There are also other threads that cover this same issue.

A Google Search might also yield the answer. It took me two seconds to bring up the following thread. There are numerous others.

http://www.helifreak.com/archive/index.php/t-27970.html
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM
RogerParrett

PM sent to BuschBarber...Enjoy...lol
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Zor
Banned

I stated that it could and has been done using one of the Programmable Mixers included with the DX7. I friend of mine recently used the Rocker Switch, on the Right side of the Antenna, to control the mixture for his RC Boat. The same principle can be used for Throttle Cut.

A quick call to Horizon would result in learning the exact steps to follow. There are also other threads that cover this same issue.

A Google Search might also yield the answer. It took me two seconds to bring up the following thread. There are numerous others.

Yes Dear BuschBarber i read that but this is not a method of accomplishing the results wanted by richardgerardi.

It is a general aproach to try to get the results.

You did not tell him (or us) "how to do it" ; you gavesome idea how we miht go around to try to do it.
A big differnce that does not yield the results wanted.

I am not trying to have any confrontation. I am simply stating my arguments in a friendly discussion.

No discussions are possible if we see things the same way..
I still have not seen a description of steps to take that ends with the desired results .

Zor

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Zor
Banned

>
>
>

I see this link for the firs time and I spent over 20 minutes reading the postings.
Nearly all are dealing with helicopters and nowhere is there instructions how to assign the trainer switch to cut off the engine.

I have had enough of discussing this topic and getting nowhere.
I can now only wish richardgerardi the best of luck if he still wish to keep on trying.

Zor
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Wow !

It looked like post # 2 of that thread pointed to the examples. No ??????????????

Here is the solution posted on the Soar.com/Spektrum link....

Implementing a Throttle Kill function

There is no throttle kill function provided with the DX-7, instead there's 'Throttle Idle Recovery'.

For those who prefer a traditional Kill function, here's a solution which works off the MIX switch:

•Use PMIX-5 or PMIX-6
•mix THRO->THRO
•SW=MIX
•Rate = -100 / -100 (note both negative)
•Offset = -125 (note negative)
Note 1: use only PMIX-5 or 6, otherwise the kill setting will vary with idle trim.

Note 2: The kill position is adjusted via Offset.

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM
BuschBarber

Zor - There are many other examples of how to set up Throttle Cut, if you just search Google for the words "Throttle Cut and DX7". I just pulled that one up as an example. Just because it is from a Heli thread does not mean it cannot be adapted for Fixed Wing use. Call Horizon if you are so anxious to get an answer.

Do you want to be lead around by the nose or are you willing to do some research yourself if someone helps point the way?

I don't have Step by Step Instructions for every Feature of every RC Radio made by every RC Radio manufacturer on a server at my home.

In the Program Mix there is a parameter for Switch. This is where you would choose the Switch that you want to activate the program. Sometimes, you need to use more than one Programmable Mix to solve the problem. Sometimes, if a particular Switch does not appear on the list, you need to Disable it somewhere else in the programming, first.

Stop flapping your trap and do some research.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello Gals and Guys

I have played with the nice presentation made by FLPilot

I am inserting some additional information based on my playing around.

ORIGINAL: FLPilot

Wow !

It looked like post # 2 of that thread pointed to the examples. No ??????????????

Yes in post #2 there is another link we have to go toand find what FLPilot has posted.
See following line.

Here is the solution posted on the Soar.com/Spektrum link....

Implementing a Throttle Kill function

There is no throttle kill function provided with the DX-7, instead there's 'Throttle Idle Recovery'.

For those who prefer a traditional Kill function, here's a solution which works off the MIX switch:

•Use PMIX-5 or PMIX-6

To get to the above mix turn your Tx on and simultaneously press access (select and down) to get to the functions. Then keep pressing either up or down until you sse the mix screens which are titled on the top line as [PROG. MIX] . You can stay on either mix5 or mix6 . Both will work.after the rest of the setup is done.

•mix THRO->THRO

I did not yet try what happens if we select another slave (the slave being the one to the right on the screen)

•SW=MIX

There is four choices to select. by clicking the increase or decrease key at the right.
ON, FLAP 0, FLAP 2,and MIX so if you select MIX the MIX switch (top right of the Tx) that MIX switch will do the job (shut down the carburetor) when flipped to its posiion 1 .

We can also select FLAP 2 instead of MIX and then the FLAP 2 switch will do the same if moved to its 2 position.

•Rate = -100 / -100 (note both negative)

The arrow pointing to the line to be adjusted to minus 100 is controlled by the throttle stick but will function only if the throttle trim is at the lowest 3 beeps. Bring the throttle trim to its lowest position toward you. Then the stick will move the arrow to the lower line. I do not know why but fiddling around is what I found.
Then you will be able to set both lines to minus 100

•Offset = -125 (note negative)

There is no problem to go to the offset line with the arrow on the screen by using the select button and adjust it to minus 125. .

Note 1: use only PMIX-5 or 6, otherwise the kill setting will vary with idle trim.

Note 2: The kill position is adjusted via Offset.

Caution here to avoid that the servo does not try to rotate further then the mechanical stop on the carburetor. This can be adjusted by using less than minus 125 on the offset. .

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
I wish to thank FLPilot for his valuable information.

I had fun playing with this set up.

Zor
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Zor
Banned

richardgerardi

It seems there is no possibility of using the trainer switch to do the engine shut down.

It can be done as you may have seen now using eiher the MIX switch or the 3 position FLAP switch.

BuschBarber

There is no need for the type of comments I read in your post # 22.

Just be a nice guy like you really are.

FLPilot

Thanks again for your valuable assistance.

Zor
Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM
RogerParrett

Zor... Your detailed elaboration is impressive. But FWIW, I believe mixing THRO->ELEVATOR, and setting the Rates to +100/+100 will also effectively stop the engine when the mix switch is activated (set to 1). Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

r/s... Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.