RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Horns for old KO / Kraft Sport servo's

Old 04-11-2002, 03:06 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo Horns for old KO / Kraft Sport servo's

I just dug out my old K.O. Digiace (circa 1980) V4 4 ch. AM set. It was my first R/C set, and I really looked after it.

It still works great, but Tx and Rx maybe not narrow band.

Servo's are in perfect working condition. Thinking of using them in a low demand plane (25 size cub). They seem almost as good as modern quality "standard" servo's - perhaps not quite as good power or centering, but only a little slop in the gears, and almost no slop on the output shaft. I am thinking I will just put new "universal" (JR/AirZ/Hitec) connectors on them.

These servo's are stickered "PS-VM1" on the top of the case. Three have a black label, and one has a red label - a "reverse" servo! aah, nostalgia ... no reversing switches on the Tx back then! recent entrants to the hobby would be amazed!

These servo's have the following differences to todays standard servo's -

1. A different neutral than the servo's from the 4 major manufacturer's - I think it is 1900u s. Can this be modified to 1500 u s? If yes, how is this done?

2. They have 'O' rings sealing the case and the output shaft. Presumably to prevent water ingress. These 'O' rings are now perished.

3. The case lugs are small and straight without holes. They mate on to a detachable servo mounting (which has holes for the servo screws), with a rubber sandwich between the lug and mounting.

4. The output shaft is square, not splined!

I would like to get some more horns (to suit the square output shaft) , o rings and mounting rubbers for these servo's so I can use them.

I believe this set was also sold under Kraft's label as a "Kraft Sport" or similar, towards the end of the "AM" era.

QUESTION:

Are parts still available for these servo's? If so, please advise who to contact, and address / website / email particulars!

Any help given will be much appreciated - I hate throwing away perfectly usable gear.

regards to all

fiery
Old 04-11-2002, 09:56 PM
Ladyflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ello Mate !
Yes the neutral can be reset. Usually on the old Kraft servos there was a hole thru the center of the output shaft. A jeweler's screwdriver may be inserted and the feedback pot turned to reset neutral. If the hole is not there disassemble it and you can figgerit out eh?
Look up Kraft Midwest in Northville Michigan - the Colonies and talk to Pete Waters. He was the BIG dude with Kraft and I think he can be a BIG help on parts and info.
He also happens to be about as good as they get servicing ANYTHING RC.
If you can't locate him give me a PM .I'll dig up his address and Ph #

Oh, I almost forgot there was a series sold by Tower that used 4 lead rather than 3 lead sevos ,they are not easily converted.
The Kraft stuff was well made and very reliable,but you may want to ask Pete about carbon wipers for the pots . The wiperscould be a problem. There were also many aftermarket arms some of which may still be floating around. I'll let you know what I see.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:59 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default KO and Kraft Sport

Your old Kraft servos worked on lower voltage if you use them with newer raidos you will burn out the amps in them. Call Pete at KMW. He has all yhe parts you need. I still have 8 Krafts I still fly, Had Pete udate them to gold --- The TX can be gold sticker but the RX can only be stickered to sliver from 80 down to 40. Pete will put you on an even ch. On odd there is more chance of getting hit. I have all my old Krafts in sport planes or old timers. It's weird when you come to the field with a single stick and people look at it and say whats that. My single is from 75 my newest from 85. All in mint condition not even a scratch, have 80 some servos 20 rx's tons of wires and stuff. Its neat to run them and then run the new raidos and see the defference in speed. By the way the older smaller out put shafts you could adjust the larger ones you could not as far as carbon wipers I think the metal ones worked and lasted longer. I might have some of the smaller out put shaft arms if you need them all my servos have the larger arm.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:49 AM
fiery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default KO & Kraft Sport servo's

Thanks for your help Ladyflyer & Jetranger.

Ladyflyer, you're spot on - there is a hole right past the screwhole down to the pot. in the output shaft on these servo's. I'll have to check my screwdriver collection to see if I have one small enough to do the job. The servo's have the usual three wire set up, blue black and red in colour. So changing them to a JR/Hitec connector will be easy. I have some custom electronics pins and housings for the job.

I'll contact Pete at KMI about parts for these servo's. In fact, I'll send them to him and maybe get him to check them, re-do the neutrals and put new leads on them - probably easier than me mucking around with crimpers etc. Not strictly justified on a cost basis, but I want these back in the air.

In the meantime, the owner of my LHS (who I had around my place last night for a chin wag) says he has a bag of servo horns and discs to suit some very old futaba servo's (s 28's?) which had the square output shaft pattern. He has had them lying around for twenty years, and never sold them. I gave him one of my KO servo's to try, and he rang me back today and says the horns fit exactly!

Your LHS owners, I believe in supporting them, if they're good, sometimes they really come through for you. What if they weren't there!

Jetranger, your offer is much appreciated. If I get stuck I'll get back to you.

Can either of you please let me know the website & Postal Address for Kraft Midwest?

Thanks again both of you for your kind help.

regards (... and watch out for the crocodiles)

fiery
Old 04-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Ladyflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I just gave Pete a "RING" . He is in St Petersburg Florida on a working holiday until the 20th of this month.

The Michigan number is 248-486-4800

Give him a call , he is from some island near Ireland and Scotland,just off the coast of France. I can't think of the name of the isle just now but it rhymes with sand and my Scottish Grandfather cursed me every time I uttered it anyhow

More info:
Kraft Midwest (KMI))
7420 Seven Mile Rd.
Northville , MI 48167

Email ptwaters@cs.com
Old 04-14-2002, 10:29 PM
fiery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default KO / Kraft Sport Servo's

Thanks for the info LF!

I was born in Scotland (Edinburgh). Scots father and Aussie mother! The islands near France you refer to may possibly be the Channel Islands - Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Sark. Then again, if it is between Ireland and Scotland, then it will either be:

1. The Isle of Man; but more probably

2. Arran,

which is off the west coast of Scotland (not too far from the mouth of the Clyde) neatly sandwiched between Scotland and Ireland. A very pretty place.

I will box up my KO servo's and send them to Pete at KMI for a thorough check-up, neutral re-set and lead change. I will get a couple of gear sets and a bag or two of horns, if they are still available from KMI.

Your assistance with this has been much appreciated.

regards

fiery
Old 06-18-2005, 10:03 PM
km6tj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Servo Horns for old KO / Kraft Sport servo's

Fiery,
I have an old Digiace radio I assume is like yours that I bought in Okinawa (now Japan) in 1972. I only got three servo's with mine though, and one of those quit years ago. The last time I used the radio with two channels was with a air boat type of set up, but I have been thinking about getting that servo looked at and put the three channels in an old Sterling Piper Tri Pacer I built with an escapement back in 1969. My servo configuration is four wire. I know it has been a couple of years, but did you have any luck with getting your set up working?

Ken