RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RDS8000 screen goes black in sunlight

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Robsauto2
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RDS8000 screen goes black in sunlight

Hello, my RDS8000 has had this problem since new, the screen turns black after only 5 minutes in direct sun light. It takes 20 minutes or more in the shade for the screen to clear enough to see it again.

Another flyer at my club has an RDS8000, we put it in direct sun light for 20 minutes....no problems, screen looks fine. I noticed his screen appears to have some sort of film or protective covering that my radio does not have? Do these radios come with this film covering the screen for protection from the sun? I'm thinking that perhaps my radio had this and maybe I removed it.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Clay Walters

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RDS8000 screen goes black in sunlight

When shipped a protective film is over the "glass" that is typically removed by the user. I leave mine on until its so ragged its bothersome and my guess is your friend has done the same.

This is not unique to Airtronics as at our field I've seen other brands experience the same problem. We have a shaded rack in our pit area to place our transmitters when not in use for this very reason.

Regards,

Clay
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RDS8000 screen goes black in sunlight

It is usually caused by the Heat. We also used to have problems with LCD displays and Polarized sun glasses. I have a Timer, with an LDC display that goes dark if I leave it facing up in the sun. I believe my Tach will do that as well.