Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A new addition to my radio cabinet...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM
everythinghobby
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new addition to my radio cabinet...

Iam new here at RCU. Ihope to use the opinion of the masses and the knowledgable, to help me make a educated decision. I am in the process of adding a new Heli radio and Ihave narrowed it down to either the Futaba 8FG or the 10CHG. It will be used in both a Raptor 30 and a Raptor 90. So, what I was hoping is that someone out there could maybe steer me in the right direction of which one poses the best solution. If perhaps someone has had the opportunity to use both and has an opinion on the better of the two. I am not so much factoring in the price or the extra channel capacity of the 10, but rather ease of use, technology and overall system "wow" factor. I love my buttons, but is the 10 worth that extra bling effect. The 8FG seems to be new, fresh and up to date, a style that will no doubt be of what's to come from the future line-up. where as the 10 seems to carry that last year style, but the with a non-modular look.

Maybe, I will just stop there and leave it in the hands of you, my fellow hobbyists for your input. I thank you in advance for it!!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:38 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A new addition to my radio cabinet...

The good news is, you can't go wrong either way. I have the 10C and I am amazed at its capabilities. Can't comment on the 8 except to say that the guys I've talked to that have one love it.

And welcome to RCU!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that the 8FG has 8 proportional channels plus 2 on/off channels just like the 10C, so number of channels should not be a factor.

I have also heard that Futaba has released, in Europe, a software update for the 8FG which expands it to 12 (or maybe 12+2) channels, and that update is due to be released here soon.

These are both coming from my memory, perhaps someone else has accurate details?

TF
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
pilotpete2

OK, I'm very biased towards the 8FG, as that's what I went with, moving up from the 9C.
I'm not a heli guy, but I know of one advanced heli pilot that favors the 8FG over the much more expensive 12FG (he has both). From what I have heard, the 8FG is more advanced as far as heli software goes.
The 8FG has the advantage over the 10C, in that the user can download updated software from Futaba. The SD card provides for almost 4000 model setups[:-], but more importantly, allows you to store your model setups in a folder on your PC, in addition to a copy on the SD card. The 8FG will be a 12+2 channel radio with the new software (the 12FG will be 14+2 with an update).
Just my 2 cents, but I think the 10C will probably not be in production for long[&o].
A couple of other good points on the 8FG. Full ability to assign any stick or function to any channel. Stock battery is 6 cell 1700mAh rated, gives about 7 hours of run time, and if you want to go lipo, the voltage is a perfect match with a 2S lipo, in fact units sold in Europe (Robbe distributor) come with lipo and matching charger. For neck strap users, the 8FG balances perfectly and is lighter in weight than older radios, a good thing in my opinion, since I use a neck strap.
The programming easy of the 8FG is a delight. When I go back to the 9C, I get all messed up
Good luck, no matter what you choose, you can't go wrong if you go FASST[8D]

Pete
Old 01-20-2011, 01:42 PM
everythinghobby
My Feedback: (10)

Everyones input was great. I have been leaning towards the 8FG since its introduction. Well, today I bought one and looking forward to its arrival. Thank you everyone for you input, it helped point out some pros and cons that I actually hadn't thought about. I definitely didn't know about the possible software update that is supposed to be coming soon to the states. I will look forward to that. Thanks again!!!