RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec A9 the only rx/tx that I can't get to work with GP780 gyro!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Jesper1979

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec A9 the only rx/tx that I can't get to work with GP780 gyro!

At first i was sure that the gyro was the problem, and made these posts on another forum:

"The first two second after I turn the BEC on and the GP780 gyro goes through the power on proceedure, the rudder servo moves all the way to the left way longer then set limit, binds up and as soon as the gyro is done with the power on proceedure it all goes to normal."

"The rudder servo is the only servo that moves when I power on the BEC, why is that and how do I fix it"

"Set the limits on the gyro. The limit works as it should, it's only the first two sec after I turn on the BEC, that the servo/gyro overrides the limits and then go back to normal."

"Tried to re-bind RX/TX a bunch of times also. Workes for first power on, powered it off and on again, and the problem is back."

I was ready to buy a new gyro, and let my friend have the old one. He tested it on his MC24 setup and the problem was gone.
After this I got the gyro back and have now tested it on a JR8310, MC12, DX7 and a Futaba 14MZ.
The strange thing is that with all of these transmitters and rx, the problem is gone!

What could be the problem with the A9 or the Optima 7?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM
A.T.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec A9 the only rx/tx that I can't get to work with GP780 gyro!

ORIGINAL: Jesper1979 At first i was sure that the gyro was the problem, and made these posts on another forum:
"The first two second after I turn the BEC on and the GP780 gyro goes through the power on proceedure, the rudder servo moves all the way to the left way longer then set limit, binds up and as soon as the gyro is done with the power on proceedure it all goes to normal.""The rudder servo is the only servo that moves when I power on the BEC, why is that and how do I fix it""Set the limits on the gyro. The limit works as it should, it's only the first two sec after I turn on the BEC, that the servo/gyro overrides the limits and then go back to normal.""Tried to re-bind RX/TX a bunch of times also. Workes for first power on, powered it off and on again, and the problem is back."I was ready to buy a new gyro, and let my friend have the old one. He tested it on his MC24 setup and the problem was gone.After this I got the gyro back and have now tested it on a JR8310, MC12, DX7 and a Futaba 14MZ.
The strange thing is that with all of these transmitters and rx, the problem is gone!What could be the problem with the A9 or the Optima 7?
Appears gyro is getting power before the transceiver side of the Optima is linked correctly to TX.
How is the SPC port set up? refer:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection & Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps - NB: View warning Video re use of balance taps.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Voltage Input Limits.
Also,has both the Aurora and Spectra Module beenupdated ?
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.07(1), Spectra V2.0 & HPP-22 V1.04 - 01Oct10. (inc PDF update enhancements, inc set failsafe via HPP-22 & how uninstall V1.03 before new install.)
Much gyro info available:
Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review Tips and how To - Series - New (Throttle - Pitch & Trim - various x 4) added 01Jan11.
Aurora A9 - Heli FlyBarLess Throttle - negate possible mid range jump.
Aurora A9 - Heli Swash (Cyclic) Ring to be included in a future Firmware Update.
Aurora A9 - Gyro Set-up - How to interpret numbers & modes on screen.
Aurora A9 - Gyro setup Different Procedure to JR/Spektrum. see also following post #340.
Aurora A9 - Gyro GY-401 Heading Hold etc set up 450 Heli.
Aurora A9 - Gyro GY-520 and others - set up
Aurora A9 - Gyro Align 750 set up 450 Heli.
Aurora A9 - Heli EP Ensure ICE ESC/BEC has been updated Or Use Switchmode Regulator.
Aurora A9 - Heli EP Manual set ICE ESC for Throttle - Do Not auto set.

all exAurora A9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your particular gyro may not work properly with the Aurora.

This sounds like an identical problem I had with an ACE T7000 gyro. It would not work with Futaba radios but anything else I plugged it into worked properly. This inability to operate with Futaba equipment was confirmed by email from Thunder Tiger in Tiawan.

Since others have made it work correctly on other brands of radios, I presume there is an electronics incompaibility like I experienced with the ACE.

Contact Align directly with your issue. Either they can confirm the incompatibility or you will be alerting them to the problem. Often local distributors or representatives don't know squat.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Jesper1979

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you, I'll read through the links and see what I figure out. I read enough to see this:

"According to the Aurora's Manual, T.L. in the Gyro menu on the radio DOES NOT mean TAIL LOCK. It stands for THROTTLE LOCK!!!!!
the use of this Throttle Lock feature is, again according to the manual, "for bench testing the Gyro rate sensitivity".... whatever the hell that means (how can you test the sensitivity without en rotor turning???)"

Could you explain this further? As I have it set in T.Lock and the light on the gyro turns green, indicating it's in heading hold mode.