Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 6xx servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:41 AM
john316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 6xx servos

I have heard a lot of complaints about the Hitec 6xx servos on this forum and just want to add my two cents worth. I have a mix of 605BB, 625Mg and 645 Mg servos on my 1/4 scale G-202 and Extra 300. I couldn't find anything that even came close to the performance and price of these servos from either Futaba or JR or I probably would have gone that route. To date all of these servos have performed flawlessly. No, the centering is not perfect but no worse than any other analog servo from any other manufacturer that I have tried to date. I do not use 3D rates and any centering problems are not noticeable in flight. No gears have stripped on the 605s but I have tight linkages and practice throttle management i.e. full throttle is for vertical only. I think most of the problem with these servos is that people are using them for applications they are not designed for. If you want 3D rates and perfect centering, buy a digital servo or one with a coreless motor, for the average sport flyer, I think these servos are a good value and fill an important market niche!!

J.M.W.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hitec 6xx servos

Which surfaces do you have the 605's on?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:52 PM
john316

Default Hitec 6xx servos

I have used them everywhwere except the throttle. Have you had centering problems on the split elevators and ailerons? So far I am completely satisfied with mine. The posts I've read where the centering is off by 1/2 inch or more sounds like something more serious than a centering issue. Mine center about on par with a Futaba 3003/3004 series servo, not perfect but adequate to get the job done. Besides I hear Hitec has sold zillions of these things and the number of complaints represent only a small portion of the total. Your thoughts?

JMW
Old 08-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hitec 6xx servos

Centering is off but my bigger problem is stiffness. If they center slightly off, I can fly that out, if it is not stiff, then the plane will tend to move sporadicly. I have stopped using them on ailerons and elevator but rudder and throttle are OK. With the servo being off a couple of degrees, it will not be seen in my low throws and I don't do 3D so centering is not a really big issue.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 AM
john316

Default Hitec 6xx servos

I cannot relate to the softness around center issue or maybe I am not at the level yet where I can notice it. They seem to be plenty tight around nuetral to me.

JMW
Old 08-05-2003, 04:50 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hitec 6xx servos

John, try any Futaba or JR coreless analog servo and they will be a LOT more precise than the 6XX's, like 10 times more precise. I would have to agree that for Torque vs Price, the 6XX's are hard to beat, but they are inexpensive at the cost of precision. The 6XX are one of the worse servo's I have tested as it relates to precision. In all fairness, the were also one of the least expensive servos I've tested. But that still does not negate the fact that they are not precise servos.

I too think the 6XX have a purpose. They offer an inexpensive way to get some reasonable torque, less precision.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:55 PM
john316

Default Hitec 6xx servos

When does this lack of centering show up, after 5 flights, 10 flights, 100 flights? I have between 30 and 40 flights on mine and I can't see any discernible problem in centering and believe me I have looked..... real close. All five of mine are holding center very well, as good as any analog servo I have used in the past from any other manufacturer. Is their a potentiometer problem, a gear train wear problem etc., I am trying to understand why mine are working so well when everybody else is having all these problems. Maybe if I knew more, I could be miserable too and start bashing these servos like the rest on this forum. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, I just don't have anything to complain about yet.

JMW
Old 08-05-2003, 02:31 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hitec 6xx servos

The 6XX series servos are not coreless... so why compare them to them? We have coreless servos too that are much more precise and they still cost less than our competitors.

You did get it right though... they fill a niche in the market. A BIG ONE!

Mike.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 PM
ricksheau
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hitec 6xx servos

I think there is nothing wrong with a Hitec 6** servo Hitec is one of they best out there. Go to Servo Central to get the best prices on Hitec or any other makes they carry just call and they will hook u up