Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did I kill my futaba FP-T8VAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I kill my futaba FP-T8VAP

This is/was a nice radio. I got it up and running recently. It is heavy, but solid and easy to program. I was warming up to it.

I don't have a working charging jack. I had been unplugging in the battery and charging it with a peak charger with the flat futaba plug. I don't like plugging and unplugging the main power froma wear and tear standpoint.

I found a DSC plug, I thought it was a charging device at the time, it was not. I tried probing the disassembled a 7-pin plug charging plug with a VOM to figure out where to put the + and - for the peak charger. I must have jumped one pin to the ajacent one. Now the TX is dead. I disassembled it and looked for a fuse, there is none.

In hindsite I am thinking I put juice ot the data connection. Why would anyone want to have a wired connection to the receiver and servos? It seems like a totally useless feature??

Anyway, did I destroy the TX? IF not what is the fix? Is there and independant service guy out there. I suspect Futaba will charge me more than it is worth and or tell me it is old and buy a new one. Thing is FM is just fine for glow, for my gassers I use 2.4. This TX is/was usefull to me. If I could get if fixed or get a schematic and fix it myself for a good price I would.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Did I kill my futaba FP-T8VAP

If you put voltage on the DCS port, you may have fried the TX. Iwould send it to Radio South. Futaba may not work on old iron.

As to why one would want to plug directly to a receiver, it is for setup purposes. You don't have the have the RF link and you can setup you plane with no reguard to channel. Having said that, I have only used it one time, it is easier to turn on the TX and test every thing. That, and you need a receiver with a DCS port

Don

Old 12-25-2010, 02:02 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Check again, Scota, there is a fuse!
You need to remove the side panel that has the DSC connector. To do this requires that you remove the backplate and the screws to the bottom foot and the stick assembly screws closest to the edge. The side panel will slide out and reveal a PC board behind the DSC connector with a fuse holder.
The original charger did indeed charge through the DSC connector, and I made an adaptor for mine. But you can't fast charge or discharge through it without blowing the fuse.
BTW, T9VAP. Correct?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Scota4570

I found the fuse. That was the problem. Thank you SOOOO much.

Regards,

Scot
Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Scota4570

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I found the fuse. That was the problem. Thank you SOOOO much.

Yes, T9VAP, I really need to swallow my pride and get bifocal glasses.

Regards,

Scot
Old 12-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wise designers.
Hide the fuse so many have to send their unit for service revenue.

Zor
Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I doubt any service department makes money for the company.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I doubt any service department makes money for the company.
I am glad that Scota4570 with good directions from a kind helper found and replaced the fuse.

As application enineer with RCA (Radio Corporation of America) I used to run seminars training service technicians.

Some dealers made more money with service than with selling new electronics.
Due to competition their selling mark up was very low.

It does not take much knowledge to sell new stuff on the floor and saleamen had low wages and a small commission.
The technicians needed the technical dexterity, were well paid and repair charges were beneficial to the owners.

Happy New Year.

Zor

Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Scota4570

Thanks again guys.

I find it frustrating that schematics and repair informaiton are not available. I have a reasonable shot at doing spome work myself. One of my other hobbies is scratchbuilding shortwave receivers.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Zor
Banned

Thanks again guys.

I find it frustrating that schematics and repair informaiton are not available. I have a reasonable shot at doing spome work myself. One of my other hobbies is scratchbuilding shortwave receivers.
Hi Scota4570,

You are bringing me back souvenirs from a long time ago.
6SK7 first RF, remote cut off pentode
6SK7second RF
6K8 converter
6SK7 first IF
6SJ7 second IF, sharp cut off pentode
6H6 detector, noise limiter
6J5 audio driver
6V6GT beam power audio output to speaker
6C5 beat frequency oscillator
5U4G rectifier
OD3 voltage regulator 150 volts
6E5 tuning indicator.

My first ham radio home built short wave receiver.
I am still the proud owner of a 19 set.

Happy New Year 2011

Zor

Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Why would anyone want to have a wired connection to the receiver and servos? It seems like a totally useless feature??
Scot - glad you got it fixed - the 9VAP was one of the best radios, for a LONG time! Way ahead of it's time, and very easy to program, especially since there was nothing else out there to compete with it, for quite a while.

One the DSC - you need to remember that years ago, EVERYone was on 72 mhz. If you wanted to test/adjust your model, you had to have the pin, and in a contest/big fly in setting, there could be 4 or 5 people waiting for the pin. So, with DSC, it removes any transmitting on any channel, yet you could still program/test your settings, without having the pin. Very useful, in the right circumstances...

R
Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For many years, I have been spending the summer months traveling from one model meet to another, around my state and the surrounding states. While the use of the Direct Servo Control (DSC) was not widely know about, because it required the use of a higher end Tx and Rx, I recall it's use was almost Mandatory at events like the Superman Jet Meet in Metropolis, Illinois. I traveled there 13 years in a row until it ended several years ago.

There were 200 registered pilots with as many as 7 flying at a time, every day, all day. The aircraft were expensive and required constant maintenance. It might take a couple of hours before a Frequency Pin was available, just for flying. If you did not have a DSC compatible Tx and Rx you could not test and set up your aircraft during the day because your Tx was impounded and required a free Frequency Pin before you could retrieve it.

I believe my Futaba 8AUPS was the first Tx that was DSC compatible and then, you needed the most expensive Rx to use it.

I still have DSC cables for my JR XP9303 and Futaba 9CAP.