RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Am I missing anything (custom servo)

Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM
IAmSupernova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Am I missing anything (custom servo)

Okay, well I'm trying to work out a home built R/C car, admittedly I'm pretty new to R/C stuff (besides the toys as a kid) but good with electronics, and have also been spending a lot of time checking out other people's work, reading up on guides and just diving head in to reading anything that might help me.

Anyways, right now I'm trying to work out a cheap(er) option for a heavy duty servo, and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.. If someone wouldn't mind just checking it over real quick (mostly doing this to see how cheaply I can build what I need to)..

Motor (12v DC wiper motor): http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act...od&productId=4
Potentiometer (5k Ohm, from Radioshack): http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062356
Motor Controller (5.5v - 30v, 7A, peak 30+): http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1373

The Tx/Rx will be something like this, if that matters: http://www.hobbypartz.com/exrc62tr.html

My first question is, am Iactually missing anything here? Or are these all the components Ineed to make a functioning servo, and my second one is to make sure this is all compatible.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Am I missing anything (custom servo)

Out of curiosity, I looked at the website info for the motor controller.

I see where you can use it with an RC style interface as a simple motor speed controller, but I didn't get the impression that you can connect it along with a position feedback pot to turn it into a position controller.

By position controller, I mean if you move the stick halfway, the servo goes halfway and stops - not just runs at half speed in that direction.

If you're looking for a speed control, you're probably ok. If you're looking for a steering servo, etc, then you might have some difficulties if I'm understanding that servo controller part correctly.

Do you have more information on that part?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM
IAmSupernova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just the information on the site, and yes I'm looking to make a steering servo, for the throttle/braking system (I will be most likely using the engine from a chainsaw for the main drive system) I plan to use just a normal servo (nothing custom made).

I'm looking at making a large scale R/C (I'm thinking 1/4 scale, but haven't completely decided yet)and most of the servos I've found capable of handling the steering are quite a bit more expensive than I'd like, so I'm trying to make my own and shave off some costs there. I know when it comes to building R/C 'expensive' is a relative term, but anything I can do to save on costs would help.

Guess I'll do some more digging and see what I can come up with for a controller.

If anyone has links to controllers to fit my need that'd be appreciated. Hoping to find one that will work for $50 or less.

EDIT: Okay, I found this: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1392 Still contains everything the other controller did, but it also supports feedback, so that should be it, right?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Texastbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems like you could gang several less expensive servos together for your steering and save a little money. And it looks like a couple of the items on your wishlist are out of stock. I do kinda like the windshield wiper motor on the steering. It might be fun to work something out with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 PM
IAmSupernova

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just gave those as examples, I won't be actaully buying anything for awhile yet, right now I'm mostly working on planning everything out, compiling a list of all the componenets I'll need for the entire car and so on.

I'm a little unsure of myself when it comes to the servos though, so wanted to check that I'm not missing something major in making my own. I'm most likely going to be modeling it after a trophy truck (more or less) and as such I want to make sure that the servo will be able to hold up to the strain of both speed and going off road (an effective steering system/suspension system is something else I'm currently working out as well).

I want to buy as litlte of it already made as possible, this is something I've wanted to do for many years now, and I want to be able to say "Ibuilt that" not "I put that together" if that makes any sense. I quickly realized that building a smaller servo needed for the acceleration/braking wouldn't be worth it, so that's why I've decided only to make my own steering servo. Oringally I was going to buy both steering and accelrating/braking servos, but the servos that I found that looked up to the task of handling the steering were far out of the price range I was comfterable with ($400-500+) so decided I would just make both on my own, then found out that it would be far cheaper to buy the smaller of the two.