RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Standard Tx Switch Assignments

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM
wjcalhoun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Standard Tx Switch Assignments

Guys:
I just upgraded to a 8FG transmitter, having had the 7C before. First, I know that one can assign any function to any switch, etc. My question is how have you set up specific functions to switches? On my 7C I just made it up as I went along.

Is there any kind of convention for assigning a given function to a switch position?

I will want to have switches for:
Throttle Cut (implemented as my optical kill on the gasser, carb close on the glows)
Throttle Down (high idle, low idle)
Dual rates for control surfaces
Flaps/spoilerons (probably on one of the variable dials)
Timer start (vs throttle stick position)
Perhaps retractable LG
Perhaps smoke

I know many use the momentary switch for either a trainer or snap roll switch

Is there a standardized kind of setup, or is it every man for himself and his radio to make a determination and learn to use it?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Standard Tx Switch Assignments

Mix and match to your pleasure.

I think the best use of that spring loaded sitch is for the optical kill personally.

As for the flapperons, make sure you can turn them off, trying to center a slider while other things are going on if something happens can be somewhat of a chore.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM
wjcalhoun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks; that is the sense I had gotten. I suppose the layout of switches on transmitters is sufficiently variable that standardizing a function to a position would be unworkable.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Thanks; that is the sense I had gotten. I suppose the layout of switches on transmitters is sufficiently variable that standardizing a function to a position would be unworkable.
I wouldn't say unworkable, but a little tedious. I am not sure I follow yout thought process about "standarizing" switch locations. Is this for your own use, or for teaching purposes, or what?

If it is for your own use, then I would just program all my aircraft the same way. That way I don't have to think about it when I'm in emergency mode. I know that this switch does this in ALL my models.

If it is for teaching purposes or even sharing an aircraft with a buddy, then I would do a little research using other manufacturer's manuals. I can't speak for Hitec or Airtronics, but in JR radios, the dual rate switches are the switches on the upper outside corners of the face of the radio, with the rudder dual rate on the right hand front switch on the top. The flight mode or flaps switch (3-position) is on the left inner switch on the face and the throttle hold is on the top back right. The spring loaded switch is on the top back left.

I hope that is what you meant.

Rafael
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM
wjcalhoun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Rafael
My thought on standarization was just as you indicated; I wondered if 'most guys' put the rate switch somewhere specific, the gear switch somewhere specific, the flaps control, etc. Like you, i want all my planes set up the same so that I don't have to spend much time thinking about what switch does what for a given aircraft. Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doesn't it have a default configuration?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM
wjcalhoun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for gear, aileron, rudder, elev, and their respective trims, yes. No defaults for rates, throttle cut, idle down; i can understand that, especially for rates. Some like a different rate switch for R, E, and A, while others put all rates on a single switch.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would think that you would want to keep throttle cut function on the spring loaded switch, just as with your glow engines. You should still have the ability to kill the engine through the normal throttle cut on your gas engines.
Normally, an opto kill switch is controlled with a normal on/off toggle switch. This allows you to to have the ignition off, until you are actually ready to start the engine, with the spring loaded switch, the ignition is always hot, unless you hold the switch on, against the spring. I have never seen anyone use the spring loaded switch for ignition kill.
Pete
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Duh, I'm taking Nyquil. I meant throttle cut. Of course optical kill should be on a toggle.

Repeat after me, no technical posts while taking cold meds....
Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 PM
wjcalhoun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Roger that on the throttle cut / kill switch. For both gas and glow, that function, for me, is to kill the engine. For gas, I agree, I want the toggle, so I KNOW that the ignition is off if my hand is in the prop disk. What would be the advantage of putting that function on momentary for glow?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The spring loaded switch works well for glow, because once a glow engine stops, it's dead. Ever try to start a glow engine with the old mechanical trim all the down in the kill position[&o], same thing can happen if throttle kill is on a normal toggle switch.
Pete