Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics VG6DR

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
rymatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics VG6DR

Good Afternoon All I am starting to build a Top Flite Sea Fury MK11 and it requires a 6 chan. radio. I have an older Airtronics Vanguard FM VG6DR transmitter and rec. and I would like to know if its legal to use this radio today. It is 72 Mhz. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics VG6DR

If it is 1991 vintage or newer and FM, you should be fine. Radios prior to that needed to be sent in and converted to Narrow Band. They also received a Gold Sticker.

Have you considered going to a 2.4Ghz radio, instead?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
rymatt

Thanks for the reply Rich There is a sticker on the bottom of the radio that says R/CMA RF check AMA date with a 03 inside an oval.0. next to the word date it looks like there was something at one time but its to faint to make out now. If its older than 1991 what would you guess the cost to convert be as opposed to the cost of a new 2.4Ghz be? Would I send it back to Airtronics to get it converted ? What radio would you recommend keeping budget in mind ? Thanks again AL
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM
BuschBarber

At the time, they were doing the conversions for free. RC radio manufacturers were required to switch to Narrow Band. You would have to check with Airtronics or your LHS to find out if your Tx needs the Conversion. If your Rx is not Narrow Band, it would have to be replaced.

Whenever anyone asks which radio to buy, it opens up a can of worms. There are numerous RC radio manufacturers offering 2.4Ghz systems. Hobby King is has some of the least expensive offerings.

You can pick up 72Mhz radios fairly cheaply. Ones that use RF Modules can be converted to 2.4Ghz using 2.4 RF Modules from the same manufacturer or from numerous other manufacturers.

You cannot go wrong by looking at products by JR/Spektrum, Airtronics, Futaba, or Hitec.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 AM
rymatt

Again Thanks for the quick Rich I sent Airtronics an E mail this mourning with the radio ser. # to see if they could tell how old the unit is and also asking about the conversion and the cost. for the conv. and the new RX so I can compare to a new TX/RX. Ill ask a few more Questions while I have your ear. The plane will weigh 12 lb. when complete, powered by an OS ` FS-120 111 Surpass 4-stroke w/pump, Century Jet landing gear and working Flaps. The build manual says it needs 5 to 8 Standard Servos - what would be considered a Standard servo (speed/torque). It also requires a four to six chan. radio and looking through a Tower Hobbies cat this mourning I am considering a Futaba 6EX 6 chan. or a Futaba 7C 7 chan. with spread spectrum technology. The 7C is $60 more, do you think its worth it to go with the 7C. I dont need the latest and greatest with all the bells I just want to get the best quality and most useable unit I can afford. Thanks again for your help Rich
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM
BuschBarber

The differences in each model radio, as you go from 6ch to 12ch are not just the fact that you have more channels. There are big differences in the Programming.

Years ago, when things were simpler, we had Torque Rods for each Aileron half and used just one servo to control both Aileron halves. Now, we can put a separate servo on each Aileron half, connect each servo to a separate Channel, Mix both Channels, as Ailerons, and even use the Ailerons as Flaps.

I always have each Aileron half, Flap half, and Elevator half on a separate channel, and Mix them using the Tx Programming. This takes 6 channels, plus 1 channel for Throttle, 1 channel for Rudder, and 1 channel for Retracts. That is 9 channels. On my H9 P47-150, I have a separate servo for each Main Retract, I put both of them on separate channels, and set a Delay, so one Main goes Up or Down before the other, like the real P47. That means 10 channels. I have a 9303, so I use a JR Matchbox on the Elevator Channel because I use my Tx to slow down the Flaps to scale speed.

You have to decide what features you need now and whether this radio is going to be used for more complex projects or if you plan to buy a more advanced radio later. It is not an easy thing to walk into a Hobby Shop or a Trade Show, try all the radios on display, and figure out if whether to buy the 6ch or 7ch radio. It is usually two weeks after you buy it that you discover new uses for the extra channel or the additional programming. Perhaps the 6ch will be all you will need.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rymatt
>
>
>
what would be considered a Standard servo (speed/torque).
>
>
>
rymatt,

Looks like your question has not been answered ___

I belive we can consider a standard servo ___
A servo that can respond to transmitter stick movement as fast as your hand can move the stick back and forth. Typical 0.20 second for 60 degreesand . . . . .
that has torque in the range of 50 to 100 oz/in

Perhaps others have a different concept and may post.

Zor
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM
pilotpete2

Just check the AMA frequency list of legal channels, see if yours is on a legal frequency. Even most AM transmitters by the late were narrow band, my first radio was a 4 channel Futaba AM Conquest made in '87. As a rule, FM transmitters were all narrow band, so if yours is on a legal frequency you can use it.
Now, with those old airtronics receivers, you cannot plug just plug in a modern servo without reversing the pos/neg wires. Having migrated from the old style Airtronics servo connector, to modern standard servos and receivers in recent years, my own inclination would be to retire the old airtronics radio, especially if you have only one of the old receivers. It isn't worth smoking a new servo[&o]
OK, you asked about the $60 difference between the Futaba 6Ex and 7C. For the type model your building, you would regret buying the 6 channel radio very fasst. The 7C supports dual elevator servos, the 6EX does not, it is a very limited entry level radio.
While I fly Futaba fasst, it is not the most cost effective solution for larger models. We have a number of the new Airtronics 2.4Ghz radios at our field, they are a bit more competitive price wise when compared to Futaba and JR/Spektrum. Your model sounds awesome, but consider this. That pumped OS Surpass[8D] costs about as much as a new 8 channel Spektrum, or 14 channel Futaba 8FG. If you plan on flying models such as your building, go with the best/most radio you can manage.
Best of luck,
Pete

BTW, recently bought an OS .81 Alpha FS/pump. Awesome engine!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:33 PM
jayd3

The 'R/CMA check AMA' sticker tells you it has passed the R/C manufactures and AMA test for narrow band and is narrow band compliant.