Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba vs Spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
daves
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba vs Spektrum

I have decided that it is time to get into the 2.4 ghz game. I want to fly some park fliers and electrics. I have been in the hobby for 10 years. Kinda new. I have had three transmitters, all Futaba. Some of the club members have recommended that I get the Spektrum DX7. All my equipment is several planes is set for Futaba. I'm sure that the servos can be used with the DX receivers. They talked about sending Spektrum radios and receivers in for service. Excellent service; no charge. I just had my 72 mhz Futaba repaired; cost me over $100.
Now, I wonder if the Spektrum/Futaba question is like the Ford/Chevy Ninon/Cannon Colt/Smith Wesson debate. Each one is good in it's own right. Just a matter of taste. The Spektrum is easier to program, the Futaba is easier to ...... on and on.
I also can use a Futaba with my current radio as a training box. We do a lot of training at the field and I am one of the intro pilots.
The price on the transmitters is pretty close. The prices on the receivers is the same.
Anyone fighting this question like I am?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba vs Spektrum

ORIGINAL: daves

I have decided that it is time to get into the 2.4 ghz game. I want to fly some park fliers and electrics. I have been in the hobby for 10 years. Kinda new. I have had three transmitters, all Futaba. Some of the club members have recommended that I get the Spektrum DX7. All my equipment is several planes is set for Futaba. I'm sure that the servos can be used with the DX receivers. They talked about sending Spektrum radios and receivers in for service. Excellent service; no charge. I just had my 72 mhz Futaba repaired; cost me over $100.
Now, I wonder if the Spektrum/Futaba question is like the Ford/Chevy Ninon/Cannon Colt/Smith Wesson debate. Each one is good in it's own right. Just a matter of taste. The Spektrum is easier to program, the Futaba is easier to ...... on and on.
I also can use a Futaba with my current radio as a training box. We do a lot of training at the field and I am one of the intro pilots.
The price on the transmitters is pretty close. The prices on the receivers is the same.
The Hitec Aurora is fully compatible with most Futaba 72Mhz PPM Receivers (not PCM). It is Modular, so it also supports Hitec 2.4Ghz Receivers. The price is very attractive.

What Futaba transmitters do you have. I am not sure if any of the new Futaba FASST transmitters are Modular, but Futaba does make FASST RF Modules for Futaba 9CAP, 8AUP, as well as other manufacturers transmitters that support RF Modules.

As far as 2.4 RF Modules go, there is Hitec, Spektrum, XPS, Futaba, and others. For each of these Modules, you would need to use the Receiver from the same manufacturer as the Module.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a thread that's already running about Futaba vs Spektrum, and you won't have to wait for your answers.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10307840/tm.htm
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
scooterinvegas

I have decided that it is time to get into the 2.4 ghz game. Some of the club members have recommended that I get the Spektrum DX7.
I like my DX7. Good Tx, NEVER a problem. You just have to run a 6v Rx pack.

All my equipment is several planes is set for Futaba. I'm sure that the servos can be used with the DX receivers.
Futaba servos need the little tab cut off the plug. I just use a #11 x acto

They talked about sending Spektrum radios and receivers in for service. Excellent service; no charge. I just had my 72 mhz Futaba repaired; cost me over $100.
Horizon has GREAT service.

Now, I wonder if the Spektrum/Futaba question is like the Ford/Chevy Ninon/Cannon Colt/Smith Wesson debate. Each one is good in it's own right. Just a matter of taste.
YES!!! I use JR Spektrum and Futaba. I like them all. But like my JR the best.

You can use Futaba as a "buddy" box with a DX7. I do. (Horizon sells the buddy box cord)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Here's a thread that's already running about Futaba vs Spektrum, and you won't have to wait for your answers.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10307840/tm.htm
Ya, this thread WILL go the same way as ALL the Spektrum vs Fagtaba.... I mean Futaba threads!! Damn g key is too close the the t key for my fat fingers

(no need to ask about the u & a keys) LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You dont have to run 6 volt packs with Futaba or Airtronics. If I was in the market I would wait and let the dust settle with the new DMSX system before I
purchased a JR/Spektrum product. I do however hope DMSX turns out to be a great system.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I have decided that it is time to get into the 2.4 ghz game. Some of the club members have recommended that I get the Spektrum DX7.
I like my DX7, but I can't say I've never had a problem with Spektrum.
I do agree that a 6v RX pack is pretty much mandatory with Spektrum.

All my equipment is several planes is set for Futaba. I'm sure that the servos can be used with the DX receivers.
Or you could get a Futaba receiver and leave the tabs on there.

They talked about sending Spektrum radios and receivers in for service. Excellent service; no charge. I just had my 72 mhz Futaba repaired; cost me over $100.
Absolutely no doubt about that!

Now, I wonder if the Spektrum/Futaba question is like the Ford/Chevy Ninon/Cannon Colt/Smith Wesson debate. Each one is good in it's own right. Just a matter of taste.
I also use Spektrum and Futaba. I like them all. But like my Futaba the best.

You can use Futaba as a ''buddy'' box with a DX7. I do. (Horizon sells the buddy box cord)
Although the DX7 can be buddy boxed, the trainer switch is a spring loaded slide switch in an inconvenient location. After just a few minutes, you will never want to buddy box with a DX7 again.

Ya, this thread WILL go the same way as ALL the Spektrum vs Fagtaba.... I mean Futaba threads!! Damn g key is too close the the t key for my fat fingers
Ya, this thread WILL go the same way as ALL the Smashum vs Futaba.......OOPS! Yet another fat finger mistake!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 AM
DougV

LOL!

Doug.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

I like my DX7, but I can't say I've never had a problem with Spektrum.
I do agree that a 6v RX pack is pretty much mandatory with Spektrum.

Or you could get a Futaba receiver and leave the tabs on there.

Absolutely no doubt about that!
THEY GETS LOOOOOOADS OF PRACTICE and we all know practice makes perfect

I also use Spektrum and Futaba. I like them all. But like my Futaba the best.

You can use Futaba as a ''buddy'' box with a DX7. I do. (Horizon sells the buddy box cord)
Although the DX7 can be buddy boxed, the trainer switch is a spring loaded slide switch in an inconvenient location. After just a few minutes, you will never want to buddy box with a DX7 again.

amen!!

Ya, this thread WILL go the same way as ALL the Smashum vs Futaba.......OOPS! Yet another fat finger mistake!

Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Roo Man

Here is a link to an RC Reviews page that gives some information that might help in your desision.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum04.shtml

Gary

Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed that you have a few answers from both sides of the gallery, but I'd like to provide my Opinion as a JR/Spektrum owner.......

If you are familiar with Futaba, I'd suggest that you stay with Futaba. You already know all the programming quirks of your radios and if Futaba builds their radios like JR, then the programming would be very similar from one radio to the next. No need to go back a read a manual.

Most definitely Yes. I am actually waiting until JR and Spektrum completely sever their relationship and the current technology evolves into the system of the future. I would not be surprised if I end up changing to Futaba, Airtronics or even Hitec if JR/Spektrum cannot get their stuff together in the near future. I am unconvinced that the developing technology is compatube with the current technology.

Your best bet would be to link two Futaba radios for training. This will provide the least amount of headaches. There are cable available thatwill connect to Futaba and JR equipment, and there are sketches on the internet on how to wire your own. But a factory supplied wire with 2 compatible radios will be the safest bet.

I hope I gave your question a different point of view than the people that answered before.

Rafael
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM
BuschBarber

I have two JR XP9303 radios with a Spektrum 2.4Ghz module. I have had zero problems with these systems. I have used Futaba for years, as well, on 72Mhz, and I can attest to the quality of their radios. I have never used Hitec radios, but I have purchased many Hitec receivers and servos. They have excellent service and warranty.

In your case, since you have Futaba equipment already, the question to ask is do you need your new system to be compatible with your existing Futaba stuff? If not, than you can start fresh with any manufacturer you choose
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

for me it's JR and Canon. though I think Nikon is more like JR and Futaba is more like canon. discuss.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Brian Dorff

for me it's JR and Canon. though I think Nikon is more like JR and Futaba is more like canon. discuss.
I used to have a Pentax!! It worked well.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I still have several Pentax - the only one I use is the K20D digital. I picked the Pentax digital because I could still use all of my older pentax lenses, except for the really old screw mount ones.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM
StevL

Well it was Canon when they came out with the AE and A1, but now.... it has to be Leica. I still like Kodachrome, oh those long wave colors

Spektrum was the A1 a few years ago, time has passed and JR/Spektrum may not be the top dog until now, JR/Spektrum may be back on top again. Wait a couple years and someone will come up with something else.

Kind of like the refresh rates on TVs... was at 60, then 120, and not long ago 400... what now?

Steve
Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM
pilotpete2

First SLR was a Topcon back in '65. Went through an Olympus phase, then on to Nikon, both film and digital.
In RC, started with Futaba, then went through an Airtronics phase, then back to Futaba.
Pete
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Flying is a lot like taking pictures. the person holding the Transmitter or Camera is the most important part. Also important is to note that when a new model of either comes out the one you already have still works just like it always did.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
StevL

Flying is a lot like taking pictures. the person holding the Transmitter or Camera is the most important part. Also important is to note that when a new model of either comes out the one you already have still works just like it always did.
+1